Would you pay for a mock interview with an ex-graduate recruiter/HR Manager?

BDO

I am doing some research before setting up a company offering this service, and really need the views of some undergraduates to help me on my way.

I worked for the London office of Deloitte for three years as a Graduate Recruiter and was then an HR Manager for Deloitte, PricewaterhouseCoopers and BDO for 8 years . Again … lots of interviews for a variety of roles from marketing, finance, accountancy to IT and other support functions. I am professionally qualified (MIPD) and have (Bsc) Hons in Psychology from Southampton University.

I am now going to set up a small company offering mock interviews and interview coaching for undergraduates. In this climate graduates want to make the most of any interview they are offered and I will offer the opportunity to practice interview skills in a formal setting. This will involve an interview and then feedback. I can also advise on what sort of experience a first or second year undergraduate will need to obtain to ensure they stand out at the pre-selection stage and to ensure that they can provide the evidence a recruiter will be looking for.

So, I want to ask you:

Would you be interested in this service?

How much would you pay?

If you weren’t able to get to my offices in the South West, would you want this service on the phone or Skype?

Please feel free to add any other comments you wish to. Please be honest.

Thank you for your help!

Would I be interested in the service? As someone who doesn’t have a lot of interview experience, or professionals to practice with/consult, yes I would be interested.

As for how much I would pay, as an unemployed graduate I don’t have a lot of money and given the state of the jobs market for graduates right now, I’d be unwilling to pay an arm and a leg when no matter how good my interview skills become I may still be unemployed for several years, paying over the odds for interview practice is out of the question. In total I don’t think I would spend more than about £100 on interview practice

Thanks for your feedback Vespesianus & good luck with the job hunting.

Anyone else?

I personally wouldn’t be willing to pay for interview practice. My university offers mock interviews with a panel consisting of a careers advisor, a graduate recruiter (from various companies) and a student. As part of the process you get feedback on your own interview and also get to be one of the interviewers for another student. All of this is provided for free for undergraduates and graduates of my university.

Thanks 111.

What happens if someone struggles with that interview? Do they give you a further interview to help with any weak areas? Also, do you mind saying which university you are at?

Many thanks
Many t

I’ve seen you on TSR…lol and the above response is exactly what I said to you. You need to target the elite students to have any chance of success.

I think you can just book yourself onto the next round of mock interviews and try and work on any weaknesses highlighted at the first interview. I go to Bristol uni.

I offer that very service having had experience in legal and consulting graduate recruitment departments. It’s tricky because people don’t realise the full value of the course until after they have had it.

I used to do mock interviews at universities on behalf of the companies I worked for but only had 30 mins with each with student. With Gradia, I offer a 2 hour session with much longer, in depth and tailored mock interviews as well as a discussion around what goes through the interviewer’s mind; techniques to help on the day; general etiquette and how best to prepare.

Most people think they know how to handle an interview or assessment but like I said, the true value of such a course is only fully appreciated after having done it and secured the job having used the techniques. My post course students are always more grateful than they thought they were going to be.

Thanks so much for your reply Lisa. I’m glad to see that you also think there is a need there too.

I agree, I think students think it is simply a matter of coming up with a few examples of a competency and forgetting that the interviewer will probe around that competency. Plus of course, it is always easier to practice with friends and family than facing a stranger in a more formal situation.

Good luck with your business !

(my site is in its very early stages as yet, but is www.indigohare.co.uk)