Which Companies offer Graduate loan?

Baker Tilly

I know the Big 4 offer graduate loans but what about mid tiers?

More specifically do you know if Baker Tilly do?

Thanks

I’m not sure 100% but I think most mid-tier firms DO offer some degree of loan. It is, however, likely to be slightly less than that offered by the Big4 - i.e. probably about 5,000 instead of 7,000.

Someone else may be able to be more accurate though…?

yes. smaller firms tend to offer smaller loans. Not all firms offer loans. Yet most firms can set this up, if lots of employees request it. Baker Tilly probably do… but you’ll have to call them to ask them to make sure of this… if you do let us know!

I imagine that if you got the job at Baker Tilly and then needed the loan to make joining easier, they could probably set it up for you if you asked them to, even if they didn’t ‘offer it’. as such.

Well the interview is quite soon so if I get the job I’ll report back the findings but I don’t want to ask before I have an offer.

I heard/read that E&Y offers £7000 interest free loan to its trainees. source: Times Top 100 graduate employers 2007/08

Yeah that’s true. All the Big 4 offer loans of about £7000, interest free, repayable over 4 years with deductions from salary starting after your 6th month with the firm, fully repayble when you leave/are sacked (notice the loan period is longer than a training contract).

The loans are usually offered by a third party bank and the firm pays the interest on your behalf.

I can confirm that BDO Stoy Hayward DO give you the option of an interest free loan of up to £4000, repayable over 3 years. I should imagine that the other mid-tiers would offer the same, or similar.

It makes sense. Firms want their employees to be able to afford to buy season tickets/ put down deposits on flats/ buy toasters, etc.

Deloitte offers 7000 interest-free loan, repayable within up to 3 years.

PwC offer a loan of £7000, repayable over 4 years, with a 6 month repayment holiday at the beginning.

It’s worth pointing out you still have to pay the tax on the interest that you would otherwise be being charged, effectively 20% of what interest you would have paid, so if the interest rates are around 5%, this would be 1% a year. This is because the interest free loan is classed as a taxable benefit.

Cheers for the information.

Just a quick note that if you take an interest free loan out of more than £5000 then you have to pay interest on the whole amount, whereas 5k or less and only the taxable benefits.

Uh oh, I was not aware of the interest charge. Thanks Chrism2671 and Billyjames for that info.

good, i will be in in a few quid debt by the time i finish. I have been eying on the loans available(hoping i will be offered a job at one of those BIG4s). I will have to adjust my budget. pity :frowning: