When to Apply

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get your feedback on when is the best time to apply for graduate jobs. After graduating from Sheffield Uni in 08, I am ideally seeking a starting date for employment in around September 09 (I’m taking a gap year), however there’s been a lot in the news recently on the majority of these jobs already being filled, and even less positions available for the next batch of graduates!

What’s the likelyhood of me finding a decent graduate position for around Sept 09 if I start applying now? Are jobs still available, or is it true that most are filled and they would only accept absolutely amazing applicants? My worry is that if I fail to land a good job for September I would not be allowed to apply to the same company for another year, and I feel that this time next year the competition would be far greater for less jobs. So really what I’m asking is if I should apply now, or wait 6 monthly and apply with the new batch of graduates? (I hope that makes sense!)

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated in this matter!

Many thanks,
Ed

PS. Apologies for not being involved and asking a question for my first post! I’ve visited this site for a while however, and promise to make more of a contribution in the future!!!

Depends on what type of career sector you wish to enter? But I think most investment banking/Big 4/Accountancy grad positions would already been filled or in the latter stages of being filled so therefore, I would probably spend the first half of 2009 building up your CV with experience/volunteering and then really make a focused push and apply Sept 2009 for grad positions. But I’ve been told by a lot fo HR that I’ve met while interviewing that there wont be many grad positions in 2009?

Depends on what type of career sector you wish to enter? But I think most investment banking/Big 4/Accountancy grad positions would already been filled or in the latter stages of being filled so therefore, I would probably spend the first half of 2009 building up your CV with experience/volunteering and then really make a focused push and apply Sept 2009 for grad positions. But I’ve been told by a lot fo HR that I’ve met while interviewing that there wont be many grad positions in 2009?