What's your approach to competency questions

Hello. My name is QTon. I am applying for internship @Centrica but I don’t really know how tackle their competency based questions. How should you draft question about leadership or personal success, if you do not have that experience?

Thank you,

Hey, it can be quite tough when you don’t have working experience, but you could relate it to personal successes throughout University and in terms of leadership, have you ever led a project at uni? You may also want to talk about successes in your personal life - achieving goals etc. You can find more information on competency based questions at https://www.wikijob.co.uk/content/aptitude-tests. I hope this helps!

Hi - let’s take the formal definition of leadership - ‘the action of leading a group of people or an organisation, or the ability to do this’. Give some thought to when you have led a group - it may an example from your part-time job; your sports interests; your course work. There will be some tangible evidence that you can call upon to provide a solid answer. We tend to get caught up in the whole ‘leadership’ thing believing that it is something we couldn’t possibly have at this stage in our career. Employers are seeking to establish what you HAVE done to effectively assess what you CAN do in their company. I hope this is helpful.

Absolutely, think about when you have led projects or people to success, this may have been in a group project at university, any type of work experience and in your personal or family life. Have you organised an event, succeeded at sports?