What uni to go to get into audit or ibank

Finance and Accounting

Hi, I hope it is the right thread to post about the universities and careers. I am reeeeally confused, I have an offer from Uni of Southampton for MSc in Finance and Accounting from last year deferred so far thinking about staying in london and applying to Queen Mary. at QM i want to do MSc in Finance and Investments.

want a career in audit company, within corporate finance division or research analyst at an Ibank.

now, you guys tell me, what is the best shoot you would have if you are in my shoes. QM or Southampton?

thanks a bunch.
hope to see millions of posts soon
rosh

Hello ravshonbek -

In my opinion Southampton is a better institution to study at and the course seems more highly rated than at QM …I’m inclined to think that the standard of teaching and consequently, your post-course knowledge, will be better having gone here. You also have a place here, so going here will save a lot of bother!

Queen Mary’s however does offer the option of staying in London which means you will be able to attend job interviews more easily, develop more London based/city based contacts, and on a personal/social level, be able to develop your network of friends in the big city. Studying in Southampton might mean that the friends you make you’ll lose after you end the course.

For these reasons I’d pick London - Queen Mary’s. But of course the choice really comes down to your own needs and desires!

Good luck with whatever you decide!

Redted

thamks mate,
still thinking now. you are right as to building better network in london. but let’s see what others input in this thread
thanks

I think the london networking thing is not important. The most important thing is to have a quality degree. I would advise that you get at least a 2.1 or a first and you try and do some accounting related work experience.

The MSc is not a requirement for getting a job at a Big 4- you can do it just as easily without it and it is quite unlikely to make much difference to your chances. Getting a first will proabbly help you more, and takes less time/money.

Hope this helps!
Chris.

Hiya,

Saw your post about Universities. I’ve been to Kings in London which was really great but I don’t think it’s had a significant impact on my job applications. I have been offered for both audit at KPMG and IB at JPMorgan and the biggest tip I could give you is to apply to do 1st year programs. They all have them, I did a spring week in my first year at JPMorgan and it was such a good insight and looks really good on CVs. KPMG, Deloitte, GS etc all have them so make sure you apply for them. I think both of those unis would be great - go for the one you’d be happiest at as that’s where you are most likely to do well. Good luck with everything!

[QUOTE=silondon;410]Hiya,

Saw your post about Universities. I’ve been to Kings in London which was really great but I don’t think it’s had a significant impact on my job applications. I have been offered for both audit at KPMG and IB at JPMorgan and the biggest tip I could give you is to apply to do 1st year programs. They all have them, I did a spring week in my first year at JPMorgan and it was such a good insight and looks really good on CVs. KPMG, Deloitte, GS etc all have them so make sure you apply for them. I think both of those unis would be great - go for the one you’d be happiest at as that’s where you are most likely to do well. Good luck with everything![/QUOTE]

Hi,
to be honest, your post is making me take a U turn in making decision. Obviously almost all of the top comps. know that King’s is a Russel Group University with a research grade of maximum. and of course your handling of the recruitment tests(sure you did well thus they offered you chance to work with them). also it depends on what course you did.

In order to follow your suggestions, i need to stay in london then? is that what you mean. cuz. outside london: mainly no opportunity to have internship or to do 1st year programme. for more can you please email me: ravshonbek@yahoo.com would be really helpful.

thanks.
rosh

Sorry - I didn’t mean to make it more confusing!! It’s definitely not my choice of degree as I do Geography! I think if I were you I’d go to Southampton - it has a better reputation as far as I’m aware(?) and it could be more fun - sometimes a bit lonely in London, especially out in East London! I don’t think you need to be in London for intern, spring week etc - they gave everyone hotels on spring week and my brother (who is at plymouth) is being put up for 8 weeks in a nice central london hotel for his intern with Accenture. Let me know if you need any more help!

Work experience is golden. You don’t need it; you can still get in without (and thousands do), but it will really help you make up your mind where you want to work and what you want to do, as well as improving your interview chances.

IGo to whatever uni you want to go to; many people from southampton go and work in the city so if that’s where you want to go then do it! Just make sure you do as well in your dgree as you possibly can, a first will make your life easier, and a 2.2 will make it almost impossible to get in.

Actually, i should apologize for not letting you know that want to do MSc in either Acc. and Fin. or Finance and INvestments. I think for a postgraduate studento have an internship will not be practical/possible as the course itself is a 12 month programme. I will go to Southampton. I have already done some sort of internship at a bank and have just over a year of commercial banking experience as well. now i am a retail supervisor. I am hoping now my Southampton degree would be just an asset on top of all what i have done so far. thanks for your advice. I have already got the offer from Southampton, in fact. but would be great to have a friend like you Silondon. mind contacting me using my email above. hope to hear from you soon. thank a bunch again