Unilever

Unilever

Hi All,

I have just been invited to do the Unilever online tests starting with the Logical Reasoning Test.

Has anyone had any experience of the Unilever application process or know what a logical test is/where to practice them? Is it just a different way of describing a non-verbal or diagrammatic test?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you

Hi,

The tests are pretty easy, don’t worry. Did mine on December 31 (what a good way of finishing the year!). The questions are really logical. Usually there are figures that turn or rotate, and they expect you to guess the one missing and select it from a list.

Good luck!

Hello!
Just a quick questions…when they say logical reasoning test, do they mean verbal critical reasoning test (with a passage of text followed by statements out of which you have to decide which one is correct) or diagramatical reasoning test (number of figures and you have to guess the missing one).

I’ve completed a couple of sets of test already but logical reasoning test seems to mean different test with different emoloyees!!

Thank you!

I remember the logical reasoning test being diagramatical - I think - was some time ago now. I had my telephone interview, was successful, but still haven’t had a place at the selection board confirmed? Anyone else in a similar position?

Hi gradapp055,
I had my telephonic interview this week aswell. Did they tell you the results immediately? I have been asked to wait for two weeks.

hi everyone,

how long did it take everyone to get to the interview stage?
i am still waiting to hear back

they take quite a while, lots of applications to get through!

Did anyone hear back from Unilever after their telephonic interview? Its two weeks now, since i had mine and so far no news. Do you guys think it would be prudent to call them to ask about the status or should i wait?

Hi GKumar!

I am also still waiting to hear back from Unilever regarding my telephone interview. Several other people have told me that they had to wait a bit though, as it can take a little while for Unilever to process all the many interviews etc that they are still conducting.

I called them about mine though, and they were very nice. They just told me that they don’t have any information regarding my telephone interview just yet, but that that should change soon, and I should expect to receive a notification via email in the next few days.

I didn’t wait 2 weeks until I called them either! You are very patient!! :slight_smile:
In my telephone interview I was told that I should expect to be told the results of my telephone interview within 1 week though.

Dear all,

I have a Unilever telephone interview tomorrow and I was hoping if someone could kindly let me know of the types of questions that will come up. I know it’s a competency-based interview, but if anyone could offer any actual examples then that would be great. I shall offer any advice for any other interview I go for (if I am lucky enough to be able to go to them that is!).

Thank you all in advance,

LB

Hello, I’ve gone through the whole process even the selection day (which went badly) and I can give you detailed insights into this.

1. The logical reasoning test is diagrammatic - you will have to determine patterns in a set of pictures they will show you. Pattern recognition designed to show your spatial awareness. There is also a numerical reasoning test too in which you will be given 20 minutes to answer 20 questions on graphs
    I did NO verbal reasoning test for Unilever

Unilever use this company for all their tests even their selection day exams, so practise from these exercises: http://www.psl.co.uk/practice/ as well as this: http://www.assessmentday.co.uk/

1. Phone interview (I did this a night before new year’s eve!) you arrange your slot with them online, and they call you up at the exact time they have told you. It lasts 45 minutes and the interviewer will have a script of only SIX competency questions (e.g. describe a situation where you had to…) these will be divided into SIX different categories, and the interviewer will use a layering technique - asking you about your answer and wanting to develop it further. There were a lot of leadership and teambuilding questions and including one where they’ll asks you about how you contributed to a situation where the project did not go so well, and how you reacted in it. Read up on the latest FMCG and marketing news and be prepared to talk about your favourite Unilever products and why you so passionately want to be one of their minions. Don’t just say ‘oh because I am interested in the way people think’, it needs to be more specific and related to Unilever.

Tip: have all your notes infront of you in bullet points, colour coded into themes against their key competencies AND structure all of your answers in this format: Situation, Task, Action, Results (STAR)

also

Smile and be very nice to the interviewer, they cant see you but they can hear the effect a smile has on your voice! Don’t worry if you can’t think about something immediately, say ‘let me think about this,’ and take a few seconds and respond (it looks much better than launching into the question).

1. You WILL NOT hear from Unilever again for another 2 months at least. So put your mind at rest and apply for other jobs.

2. When you do hear from them, they will call you one week before an assessment centre day, and put pressure on you to move your other commitments around, by saying that it is unlikely that there will be another assessment day for you. Don’t let them pressure you into doing this. If you can’t make it. Don’t do it. I wasn’t able to make the first one and told them so. I heard nothing from them for another month and a half and then suddenly got an email from them inviting me to another assessment day a week before the actual day. This time i was able to attend!

5.There will be between 4 to 6 candidates with you. (they have SEVERAL assessment days contrary to what they tell you on the phone and have most likely gone through 100 candidates already). The assessment centre days are split into one evening and one full day. The evening is held at a hotel in Leatherhead with one or two previous Unilever grads who will chat to you and are instructed to give you a ‘warts and all’ description of Unilever, when pressed, however, their most critical statement of Unilever is that ‘it’s like one big family’… uhhh yeah… ‘warts and all’ eh?
The next day you will have to be ready by 7am to have your breakfast and then leave by 7.30 in a blacked out people carrier à la Apprentice - cheap and gimmicky.

You arrive by 8am at Unilever HQ in Leatherhead and then it all starts:

• Interview: competency based - very like the telephone - asking similar questions DO NOT REPEAT ANSWERS YOU HAVE ALREADY USED

• Case study: the first of these is a 1 hour exam where they throw a massive booklet full of tonnes of emails and email attachments and you will be asked to draw up an action plan for the launch of a product, in this case it was a new hair care brand (if you think its just branding and product naming, think again: the role of a brand manager is the same as an overall project manager, you will be asked questions about factory workers and supply chain and procurement and other parts of the biz. BE ANALYTICAL, PROS AND CONS in everything you write down - they will ask you for your opinions and advice on how to go about the launch. For help on this, go to Reckitt Benckiser’s careers site.

• More case studies: the case studies will go through the same brand but with more scenarios developing

• Group activities: this is when they test your resilience working with others. Summarise what others are saying, and introduce your points, carefully and logically (throughout the whole thing, there will be 4 people watching you and writing down notes about YOU - no pressure!) Do not lose your patience with others, and when confronted with an aggressive candidate, try and appease them saying ‘I completely understand your opinion right now, however, given the scenario…’, and include others points of views in your speech. Also if someone is trying to say something but not doing so, put them forward, although most likely everyone will be contributing and climbing on top of each other to be heard - the standards are very high, it’s not like a university group project work with people who just tag along silently. If you recognise your point is not supported by the rest of the group, determine this QUICKLY as part of Unilever’s key competencies is ‘action not debate’, don’t let it lag. Keep trying to move discussions forward. You can win the discussion even if your points aren’t accepted by the rest of the group, by showing a logical mindset and being prepared to make concessions - above all - following their key competencies. Memorize these key competencies as they will come to haunt you throughout everything you do.

I didn’t get through because I was A. very tired - had just finished my dissertation the day before b. didn’t have much of a passion for Unilever or shampoo c. didn’t take enough risky decisions (they didn’t give enough information to make a decision was what I kept on repeating - they want big sweeping statements and conclusions with pros and cons) d. wasn’t analytical enough - because their information was bull.

One thing to note though, a lot of candidates do come from having previously worked for a year in a full time job in a similar role - so if you haven’t done so already, this is what you’ll be up against.

Main thing to remember, keep cool and remember that they are all falible just like you, have been in exactly your position and are just very ordinary, standard people doing a very boring job - one of the interviewers/assessors had been working at Unilever in the same job for 22 years and had nothing interesting to say about himself when introducing himself (this is what I keep on telling myself).

Good luck! Any questions - please feel free to ask!

p.s. Unilever have a selection of universities previous candidates have come from, and will give an unfair advantage to candidates from these universities by providing them with information on what to expect throughout the recruitment process. A useful document can be found here: http://tiny.cc/at8dp

Great post mate. I know exactly how you feel after getting the dreaded rejection letter because I went through a similar thing with the NHS Grad Scheme.

I have a phone interview coming up next week but I already know I have no passion to work for Unilever and so I decided to at least make some effort and research the company. Thankfully, I came across your brilliant post and I must say that I am going to send an email stating I have no intention of wasting anymore of my time with this recruitment process.

Has anyone been invited to Unilever’s selection event for 21st and 22nd June?

Please let me know as I think they have canceled the event?

Many thanks…

hey everyone!
Thanks for all the posts! I have slightly different questions. Dd u finally get to the program and can u give any feedback on the company itself? What’s the corporate culture? And where the marketing department is located - London or Leatherheads?
cheers!

I have been able to get through to their AC stage, but they got it cancelled a fews before the date. Now they are saying they will get back to me if and when they fix another one. That really gets me worried.

1. Do you think there really will be another one?

2. Does this action of theirs have any implications?

3. Is anyone in similar situation?

rgds,
F

Hey guys, just been through the whole process which ended two days ago. Everything just went horribly wrong and on my birthday no less. I’ll outline the process for your’ll:

1st Phase: (Case study and interview)

Once Unilever reviews your response to their extensive application form, your called in for a case study and an interview. The whole process lasts about 6 hours and your grouped with approximately 40 candidates. They have two sessions like this a day just as a process of elimination. Anyway, from the 40 candidates, they split you up into groups of 8. Each group is taken to a separate meeting room and has two assessors. You are then given a case study. This usually involves about three pages of information on a business in a particular situation. In my case, it was about a company called ABC Meats who manufacture a very popular consumer product known as Grand Pies. The issue was that a retailer which stocked the pies wanted ABC Meats to create a pie of similar quality but sell it to them at 10% less than the cost price of Grand Pies. So basically, you had 20 minutes to read up on this, then had an additional 10-15 minutes to discuss whether or not ABC Meats should go ahead with it. Make sure you aren’t the ‘loud and noisy’ or ‘quiet and passive’ one. If no one suggests it, just prior to your group discussion, politely ask your group if each person could take about 2-3 minutes to express their thoughts, going around the table in a clockwise fashion. When doing this make sure your able to pick out the majors flaws in the proposal, when it was my turn, i spoke about the cost to the company in additional sourcing, manufacturing, distribution, storage, logistics, etc. The assessors don’t participate, they just sit back and observe. They award points for those who think out of the box, considering issues others wouldn’t usually think of, those who stick to the decision and most importantly, those who talk up and I don’t just mean saying a few words every know and then, make sure every time you speak lasts for at least a minute. Be constructive in what you say, always back it up with facts and figures from the information they provided you with. I really enjoyed this, I always spoke up and always questioned someone else’ point of view if it contradicted with my own.

After the case study, we were given about 10 min to get something to drink and nibble on. One of the main reasons i enjoyed the process was the food, lol. Anyway, the next activity was a one-on-one interview with an assessor, they call you name, you go with them. Lasted for about 30 minutes. Questions were basically a recap of everything in their extensive application form. Nothing to worry about, just study your application form the night before and you’ll be fine. Went really well for me, my answers just arrived like clockwork, didn’t have any ‘uhms’ whatsoever, lol.

And the last activity for the day was me grabbing a few finger desserts on the way out, hehe :smiley:

2nd Phase: (Psychometric assessments - Part 1)

This was another half a day assessment, all involved in the process of elimination. We were once again divided into groups of about 8-10, each group had it’s own assessor. First each of us had to do a numerical reasoning test. 20 questions in 20 minutes. I was only able to go up to question 11 as were most others. The questions are based on bar graphs and pie charts, so nothing major, even though i’m an engineer, it was more relevant to high school mathematics than anything else. Next was an abstract reasoning test. We had 24 questions to do in 12 minutes. Basically what comes next in the sequence. I went up to question 16, much like everyone else. It was all multiple choice. You just need to work fast and be accurate.

There wasn’t any finger food in this phase, so grabbed a cup of coffee instead, lol :smiley:

3rd Phase: (Psychometric assessments - Part 2)

This threw me off because i wasn’t even aware that there was another psychometric assessment. This one ran from 8am till about 2pm. They once again divided us into groups of 8 and we each had our own industrial psychologist. The tests were based on learning capabilities. There were several tests, maybe 15 in total. We had about 10-15 minutes to do each one. In between each test, the psychologist would talk to us, outlining what the next test was about. Stuff like identifying the shape that doesn’t fit and placing it in the correct box, etc. There was a range of questions. At the end of the learning capabilities test, usually five hours later, they give you a personal assessment to do, there’s no right or wrong answer to this, they want to know about you. Don’t try and crook the test, i.e. make your answers match that of unilever’s values and principles, etc. The test picks up if your lying. Oh and there are about 280 questions in this assessment.

This time the food provided was finger fruits?!! Basically fruit cut up into small pieces, quite upsetting really. But i had my fair share, lol :stuck_out_tongue:

Final round: (Assessment day)

The invite to the assessment day is usually included with the 3rd phase invite. This is a whole day event. Starts at 8am and finished at 6pm for me yesterday. There are only 8 of you this time, for the entire day! First you are given an in-tray test and asked to read and answer the questions on it, all within 60 minutes. Read Aniliop’s post above, it’s quite similar to that. I was given about 50 pages on information on a company wanting to launch a new shampoo and conditioner line. There’s a lot of information so you won’t be able to read everything, instead just skim through what they give you and answer the questions. There are only three questions about identifying the issues, addressing them and you plan of action. The answers to each question must be four pages long. I barely got to the planning, the time just ran out. You have to work extremely quickly for this. Once that is done, they give you another in-tray test to do in 30 minutes. All of this is done on your own, everything at the assessment day is done individually.

Next, you have a one-on-one interview with an engineer which lasts for 60 minutes who works for unilever. I applied for supply chain so naturally engineers would be involved at this stage. The questions aren’t that difficult, it’s once again a recap of everything you mentioned in your application form. Sadly, this was the only activity that went well for me.

After the interview, you engage in a case study. Similar to phase one but the company and everything else are just more complicated. This will last about 60 minutes. Make sure you talk, give it everything you got, remember your competing against the other seven guys and now all four of the assessors are giving points. I just stalled, i couldn’t say anything constructive at all, my input was the least from everyone else, must have had something with me not sleeping the night before…hmmmm

After that, you are given a specific topic to read up on. It’s about a page of information but you had to consider all the other information you’ve been given thus far which they take away after each activity. You are given 30 minutes to read up on it, understand it and create a presentation on it . The presentation is done on an A2 piece of paper. Your presentation must last at least 10 minutes and is delivered to one of the assessors. After the presentation, he/she questions you on it. This was the ultimate low point for me because after my fumbled presentation with more ‘uhms’ than I care to remember, the assessor politely told me “Good luck, it’s only going to get harder!”…i smiled, shook his hand and said thank you for your time.

At this point i just felt like leaving, at the rate things were going, I knew what my fate was.

After the botched presentation, there was another 60 minute case study. I spoke up a little more than i did in the previous case study but still not enough. That was the end of it, I left the Hilton at around 6pm and never even looked back.

The best advice i could give you is to please please please ensure you have your 6-8 hours of sleep. I cannot emphasize just how much you need to stay alert and on the top of your game. There’s no technical questions whatsoever, these activities are used for all functions from HR to Marketing to Engineering. They test your ability to quickly analyze information and make accurate and concise decisions. I really did my homework on this company, I know it’s website inside out as though i was the one who created it, lol. I even knew it’s performance in the market, it’s acquisition of Alberto Culver and resultant share price increase. But all of it was for NOTHING!! They don’t care about that, it’s all to see how you are able to work. At the end of the day, they know more about you than you do yourself.

There was one small highlight though…you guessed it…the fo0o0o0o0o0o0od!! lol. Enough deserts for a lifetime and a huge variety as well. Come to think of it, I should have grabbed a tray on my way out, dang lol.

Oh well, that’s just my 2 cents review on it, hope it helps. Oh and the reason I spent all night researching unilever and not sleeping was due to the time i lost researching Standard Bank. Had the SB Leadership Development Programme interview the day before unilever. But i’ll post my review of the SB LDP interview on the SB thread soon.

Anyway, take care. All the best. Pm me if you need anything else. I’ve got several tests if you need em. And a very BIG BIG BIG THANK YOU to Aniliop!!! :slight_smile: Thank you so much for your post and the links you provided. Even though i didn’t get the job, your post helped me get to the final round. :slight_smile:

Regards,
Donno

I just applied for the Supply Chain grad scheme. Could someone pls tell me how long they take to get back ?

Hi guys,

I know that once you’ve done the logical test you find out immediately if you passed, but what about the numerical? Do you get sent an email straight away if you failed?

Thanks,

WokSz

Hi nfs63
Just wondering how you answered this Question??

Describe a time when you came up with an idea that you had to obtain buy-in for.

Is it regarding how you persuaded someone? or actually purchased something for a lower price?

Hi guys,

They take a very long time to get back to candidates (based on last year) so I would not worry too much. I am not sure why but they always extend the deadline (this year first 17/12, now 07/01, they will probably extend that too), not quite sure why (since they don’t seem to read the apps until later and I am sure they get a pretty large pool to chose from without the extensions anyway).

Oh and the buy in question - yes, it is regarding how you persuaded someone.

Good luck! :slight_smile: