UCAS tariff points - what counts

Ok, I know it seems like an easy question, but so far I can’t seem to find any answers, I have BBB at a-level (maths physics and geog) and a B in chemistry AS (as well as a C in AS general studies, but I don’t like to talk about that, and have never written it on an application).

So that’s 350 points not including the general studies,

I’m aware however that its not that simple, deloitte say that for their consultancy schemes you need 320 from 3 a-levels, I only have 300 so that counts that out, but at least I know. Unlike, say accenture, who don’t mention a thing about it, they just say you need 320, as do pwc…infact pretty much everyone else is the same.

So far I’m taking the approach of ‘I might as well apply anyway’ but its going to get a bit tiring if my grades (from 4 years ago!) aren’t good enough.

Have you got a strong degree? A strong degree can make some real recompense for poor A-level grades. Furthermore, mid-tier firms such as [[Grant Thornton]] and [[BDO Stoy Hayward]] will probably not have a problem with it.

Well I’ve got a 2:1 in Geog (Bsc) from Sheffield Uni, so I guess that’s ok (is it good/bad/I don’t know, lol), thinking more along the lines of consultancy and advisory than auditing. (yup, just realised this is in the wrong forum - can someone move it?)

Companies normally ask for a minimum number of UCAS points but with a good degree, 2:1 and above, I don’t think it really makes any difference at all because uni results will be more relevant than your school marks. Don’t worry about it too much, it shouldn’t make a difference.

Also, you say you don’t like talking about your General Studies results, well that’s not a good idea. You have to be honest and upfront in all your applications and interviews. Employers may want to review your full academic record and leaving results out because you’re ashamed of them is not going to look good to them.