The Stock Market

Hi,

Im a law graduate with very little knowledge of the stock market. If a company offers to buy my client’s shares, is there any way in which the identity of the company would be relevant? and if the company was a ftse100 company would the bid boast the share price?

thanks for any help!

Relevant to who? Can you be more specific? When a company offers to buy another company’s shares there is usually a surge in share price for both firms.

It depends on a million things. Are the companies private or public? What percentage is being bought? What differences will it make to the market afterwards? Why are they buying?

All these questions and countless more affect what the outcome will be.

It depends on a million things. Are the companies private or public? What percentage is being bought? What differences will it make to the market afterwards? Why are they buying?

All these questions and countless more affect what the outcome will be.

My client is a private company being taken over by a plc. my client has 20% stake in the company? any thoughts?

Seems like the kind of thing you should seek professional advice about. The FSA has some guidance on market abuse.

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pubs/public/market_abuse.pdf

Legallyconfused… is this an application question? Interview Question? A general something you want to clarify…?