TfL Graduate Scheme Application Process

Reed
Response

TfL Offer a range of graduate schemes to both fresh graduates and those with experience. While they accept applications up to 4 years after graduation, there have been cases of people with up to 6 years of work experience post-graduation attending assessment centres, looking for a career change. Schemes include:

* General Management, which has two service lines:
      o Delivery – Station / Train Management
      o Development – Planning, Project based word
* Project Management
* Electronic Engineering
* Finance
* A couple more, all listed on the TfL website

For the majority of the schemes, no specific degree is required. The general requirement is a 2:1 degree from a good university (Nearly everyone I’ve met was from a top 30 uni, with a lot of grads from top 10 i.e. LSE, York, Warwick). On some schemes, a 2:2 is also accepted.

TfL really look for people passionate about the city of London. During all stages of assessment, it is important to show you want to not only work in London, but be a part of London. Stress the importance of the TfL network – If the London Underground broke down for just one day, the knock-on effects could be tremendous (I.e. Bankers not getting into work, Stock Markets come to a stand-still).

There are a number of key areas that affect the way in which TfL operate, and it is important to show understanding of these areas. While they are not explicitly outlined till the later stages of assessment, it would show commitment to career to at least be able to name these factors:

* Commercial
* External
* Global
* People (Staff)
* Customers

The assessment process consists of an online application, a situation judgement questionnaire, telephone interview, and 2 assessment centres.

The online application is based on the usual competencies, i.e. “Why would you be suited to a place with TfL”. Stress your love for the City of London, and your passion for transport, and making TfL a world-class transport system. Remember that the majority of grad schemes offered by TfL are office-based, so you don’t need to mention exact train specifications or technical details.

The situational judgement questionnaire is straight forward, asking you to specify your response to a particular situation. It is not timed as such, but you are given a certain amount of time to complete it. The questionnaire is multiple choice, and requires more common sense than anything.

Once again this is a standard telephone interview. It was conducted by Reed when I applied, but I believe that recently TfL recruitment has changed to in-house, so it may be by a member of the grad team. No particular preparation is required, but it would be good to read up on the TfL grad site about some of the current projects (i.e. Low emission zone, the interchange, DLR upgrades). Show a bit of initiative and mention how you’d like to work on these projects, and even outline some high level methods to improve them (I.e. on my telephone interview for Service Delivery, I mentioned the Tube-Cooling project, and how regenerative braking causes long term problems).

The interview lasts 10-15 minutes and is really just a chance for the team to talk to the graduates, and make sure that are enthusiastic about TfL.

If you’re successful at the Telephone Interview stage, you’ll be invited to an assessment centre. These are held in the rent-a-office buildings in London, typically on and near the Circle Line. For those coming from outside of London, this really is an excellent centre to come to – After mine I felt like moving to London straight away.

Make sure you eat beforehand, as only tea & biscuits are offered, and the day can get intensive. For most schemes, this is only the first of two centres – however for smaller schemes (i.e. electronic engineering), there can be just one, longer assessment centre.

During this centre, the main tasks are:

* Competency based interview – 1 hour long, but time goes very quick
* Fast Track test – SHL test, tests reasoning and numeric ability. A series of cards are presented to you, roughly 20 per question. The cards contain details and you have to ascertain the connection between the cards.
 * A crude example would be of a deck of cards, with the Ace of spades being a blank card. By looking at the rest of the deck, you would ascertain that each suite has a certain number of cards, with there being 4 suites. From here, you could ascertain that since the heart, diamond and club suites all have an ace card; the spade suite is missing this card. Hence, you could assume that the missing card is an ace of spades. The test is similar to this, but more complex – i.e. using driver profiles in a taxi firm (each card has a name, position of driver, experience, car, engine size etc.)
* Group exercise – 6 members. A board meeting for the re-development of a certain area of London (the area itself doesn’t matter). Each member of the group represents a member of TfL, with their own vested interests (i.e. representing the cycling association, local residents, and local businesses). The task is to put across your argument in a coherent, professional manner, while being receptive to the other group members. It’s a good idea to take initial leadership by offering to introduce yourself. While you’re not allowed to appoint a group chairman, you can position yourself as an authority figure from the get go. Make sure you write EVERYTHING down, as you have to write a formal report in the last 20 minutes of the task, outlining the decisions that were made, and what everyone’s proposals were.
* As mentioned before, try and be ASSERTIVE, while being understanding of the other members. While putting across your opinions and the opinions of the people you represent is important, you have to consider the overall success of the project in order to do well. So even if you put across an excellent argument for the cyclists association, if their interests conflict with the success of the project, it’s probably a good idea to tell the group that you recognise the cyclists requests are in-feasible, and that success of the project is the key aim.

It should be a fun and productive day, enjoy it and do your best. You really aren’t competing with anyone, but make sure you stand out – firm handshake, speak with confidence. Show passion for the role.

Assesment Centre 2 is slower paced, and you get a chance to meet some current graduates. There is a waiting area, and there will be much less people, so get to know the people your with as this stage isn’t as much about removing numbers – if all the candidates are outstanding, they will all get hired.

There is a memory test which can’t really be prepared for; you have 10 minutes to read a brief manual, followed by multiple choice tests where you have to recall the procedures in the manual. There is a competency based interview with a panel, which is almost identical in format to the first stage interview (different questions of course). Be confident, and really sell yourself.

The key task perhaps is a 10 minute presentation that you have to prepare for – this will be assessed by a HR member, and a senior line manager. They will send you details 7 days in advance, so there is plenty of time to prepare. This is followed by a brief technical Q&A about your ideas, and some general questions (mostly from the line manager). Some key points:

* 10 minutes goes VERY QUICK – 5-10 slides is plenty
* Include ALL Your information on the slides, as this will work in your favour. When they ask questions, they review your slides – if you include word for word your script on the slides, it is more likely they will ask a question regarding something you’ve said (and researched), as opposed to a random technical question
* Once again, try and finish within the time
* Your portrayal of the presentation is important, perhaps more than content. Speak at a moderate pace, in clear English. If you feel overwhelmed, slow down, take a breath.
* Questions are reserved for the end, so don’t invite them to talk to you during the presentation. However, look them in the eye, and make the presentation as personal as possible.
* The technical Q&A is said to be the hardest part – however, if you’ve researched your area and the material you are sent thoroughly, it should be more enjoyable than anything – it’s a chance to put across your opinions and ideas. I had outlined a number of issues with the Bakerloo line during my presentation, and was unaware that my interviewer was a senior director on the Bakerloo line! However, since my reasons were outlined during the Q&A, and I had quoted accurate figures in my reasoning (i.e. breakdowns increased 20% in Q2 of 2007), he was very receptive to this, and had a little joke about with me.  I believe this was one of the key reasons I got the job, so show initiative, no matter what your idea is, give reasons and make it plausible. Be confident.

After this, TfL should contact you within 48 hours within a response. I ended up waiting 3 weeks due to a HR manager being away, but generally the contact is very good throughout the scheme.

Thanks Reg. Absolutely brilliant. We’ll make a wiki out of this!

Do you happen to know how many grads apply for schemes with TfL, and how many are hired?

I can’t give exact figures of intake, but in the initial assessment day there was 50 people (1 morning centre and 1 afternoon), and in the second stage there was only 7 of us left. TfL say by the first assessment there is a 1/3 chance you’ll make it through to the next one, with the second one being based entirely on your performance, as opposed to a quota. Hiring begins as early as January, and there is at least a couple of assessments a month, so I imagine the total amount of applications must easily be 10k + across all schemes.

That’s a lot. I suppose they must hire in excess of 100 graduates a year then… ?

Could you tell us any more about the [[competency based interview]] at the first [[assessment centre]] Reg? What competencies, etc?

The wiki for TfL is now up! - [[Transport for London (TFL) Interview Questions|Transport for London]].

Reg - Yeah indeed, I think the management schemes take most, which puts people in charge of projects, stations and general management within TfL. The smaller schemes such as electronic eng take less. I think 100-150 is probably the correct range?

Editor - The competency based questions are fairly generic. I know that most grad schemes require a range of “core competencies”, but in my opinion they are pretty much all similar (you need to be a well rounded person to get onto a grad scheme in the first place). Things like “When have you had to overcome an obstacle to achieve a task”, or “Think about a time when you have had to communicate effectively in a group”.

There is one or two theoretical questions, which test your reasoning. The question I was asked was along the lines of the following:

“The Jubilee line has a fault, which can’t be repaired. If trains are left running, the fault can’t be repaired. If the fault isn’t repaired, there will be no drinking or toiler water in any stations on the Jubilee line. You are the manager of the Jubilee line - What would you decide?”

They want to see your reasoning, how you weigh up both options (Leave the trains running with no water, OR shut down the line and preserve the water facilities). Try and think long term - I said that if water was turned off, there could be long term H&S repercussions for TfL, but you’ll need to thoroughly explain your reasons. There is no right or wrong answer, just show conviction in your decision and you should get good marks for it.

Hello Reg, about the telephone interview, is there a possibility they’ll ask competency-based questions from the application form and any other?

Hello people just wanted to ask if anyone has got confirmation from tfl how many they are hiring this year as i asked a HR member if it was 175 like in times guide but she said it depends on the needs of the business at the time which is pretty vague to say at careers fair.

Furthermore, i notice alot of this is written in the summer but now tfl is makign major cutback especially in their offices so does anyone know how many positions are on offer, if they are doing assessment centres each month, i fear they coudl already be full.

whoops *could.

Are they making cutbacks? The Olympics is a massive event for TfL, and despite the current crisis, I would have thought they are recruting as usual.

No its not the credit crunch per se. TfL have a lerge overspedn which boris aims to cut. he has already said no to most of major projects schemes, some of which were funded. Then i hear on the news that they are making cutbacks.

scrapped schemes: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7712002.stm

white collar jobs to go: http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23601804-details/Leaner+TfL+axes+2,000+jobs+to+save+2.4bn/article.do

does anyone have any inside info?

I applied two weeks ago havnt heard anything back yet sadly.

I applied for Overground Management with tfl- had a telephone interview in November then got an e-mail in January saying ‘due to the current business climate’ they were no longer recruiting for that role would consider me for Surface Management instead (still haven’t heard anything). So there are definately some changes to the recruitment that they originally planned. No idea to what extent though.

Just found out about this site recently!! I just had my online application succesfull for the Surface Transport . I think I am fortunate because if I pass the other stages my AC would be after 15 Dec. I would be greatful if any of you gus can post fresh information after AC. Thank you so much for your posts regarding your interview experience, they would be a massive help if I pass the SHL and first Tel Interview.
Good luck!!!

Hi,
any news about AC?Please let us know.
Thanks
Sara

Hello everyone,

has anybody heard back from their Finance Assessment Centre? How did you all do? Also, has anybody applied for a Civil Engineering scheme?

Thanks, Phil

Hello Sara,

Did you pass your online tests? Did they offer you a telephone interview, if so, what feedback did you get?

Hope all is well,

Phil

@phil_99

Hi,
I passed online test and had a telephone interview on December 19.I have been told to wait untill Jan 15 for the result.
I think they will review all the applications and choose some for AC.As soon as getting any information i will post a message. I am still waiting for information about AC for Transport Planning.Plaese let me know if anybody went to AC.
Happy New Year and good luck!

Good morning all

I have only just discovered this site - very useful. Thank you to all contributors. I have applied for the scheme in Customer Service for the Underground. So far, done 2 SHL tests and 1 telephone interview. Second telephone interview 3rd Feb. Fingers crossed!

Reg’s piece - brilliant! Thanks for that.

Good luck everybody!

Trig.

Hi everyone! I’m new to the forum and I have my technical interview on Wednesday morning for the TfL Service Delivery stream. I know from looking back on the forum that in the last round of second phone interviews, applicants were asked to consider the impacts of increase service times during the olympics. I’m wonering if anyone who has just had their second phone interview for customer/service stream has been asked the same question or a different one?

Good luck to those who are in the process!