Tesco Buying Program Assessment Centre

Tesco

hi everyone,
I had an assessment centre for Tesco Buying next week and after spending 2 hours searching internet, I couldn’t really find any information. there are a couple of wiki threads for tesco store program but their application process is different to buying.
So if anyone had any experience about this, please help. thank you so much

Hey! wish i had seen this before… i have my phone interview tmoro for the buying programme!

Hi lanberry, hopefully you can help me. I’ve got a buying assessment centre coming up soon and I have no idea what to expect (apart from having to prepare a presentation critiquing Tesco’s product ranges). Any info on what happens during the day and what to expect would be greatly appreciated.

Hey thebuyer… when is your assessment centre?

Hi I was wondering what kind of questions came up on the telephone interview! and how long it lasted! im so nervous! eek! I applied for the Graduate trainee buyer scheme,

Hi chloshmo, mine is next week on the 12th.

Jellyveen the telephone interview is mostly about what you know about tesco, the scheme and their competitors. Mine lasted about half an hour. They ask stuff like “what do you think you’ll be doing on the scheme?”, “what are your strengths and how do they relate to the role?” “who are our competitors?” and “what do our competitors do better than tesco?”. There’s a couple more questions and the ones i’ve mentioned might not be the exact question they ask you (since my memory isn’t that amazing), but they’ll ask you things along those lines.

Hi, that really helps, thanks, I’m so nervous, as the interview process is so long. I am currently working in buying anyway, so im hoping that the processes are similar to what im doing now. Are you on the scheme now?

Hey thebuyer, I have my assessment day on the same day! So we will be in the same group! Im Chloe by the way. Where are you coming from? Im going down from Aberdeen so quite a far way!

Jellyveen- I was asked those exact questions as well, also about my degree i currently do, and a lot about work experience. Competency based questions also like- “Tell me a time where you have initiated change”.

Hope that helps :slight_smile:

hey Chloe, i’m Chris. I’ll be coming from Grimsby so i’ll have to stay over the night before. It really sucks they don’t pay expenses since I can see it costing me at least £150 for train tickets and a hotel at such short notice. What are you doing for the range critique presentation? I’ve never been asked to do anything like that before so i’m slightly anxious about it. I think i’m gonna go take a look around Tesco’s stationery section, compare what they offer to their competitors in terms of strengths and weaknesses followed by suggesting a few plans for the future based around market trends while considering any risks. It would have been nice to have a bit more guidance then simply “choose the most appropriate way to critique the range”.

hey Chloe, i’m Chris. I’ll be coming from Grimsby so i’ll have to stay over the night before. It really sucks they don’t pay expenses since I can see it costing me at least £150 for train tickets and a hotel at such short notice. What are you doing for the range critique presentation? I’ve never been asked to do anything like that before so i’m slightly anxious about it. I think i’m gonna go take a look around Tesco’s stationery section, compare what they offer to their competitors in terms of strengths and weaknesses followed by suggesting a few plans for the future based around market trends while considering any risks. It would have been nice to have a bit more guidance then simply “choose the most appropriate way to critique the range”.

Hi Chris, I have to stay two nights and unfortunatly get an 8 hour train. Not really looking forward to that! Yeah, does suck! Are you staying at the Travelodge in Cheshunt? Doesnt look as bad as i expected haha. Thats exactly what I think they want us to do, probably compare to competitors and state the strengths and weaknesses, i saw that we dont actually have to make a powerpoint though. I’ll private msg you my facebook if u wnt to compare presentations!

I’ve not worked out where i’m gonna stay yet. Either with a friend in London or if that doesn’t work out then it will be Cheshunt Travelodge. I was gonna go out and pay my local Tesco/Asda/Sainsbury’s & Staples a visit today to do a bit of research but i’ve been stuck in bed with a sore throat, runny nose and headache for the last two days. Hopefully it all clears off before Tuesday. I think i’m gonna spend Sunday putting together this presentation (if my cold clears off) so yeah go ahead and send me your facebook if you want to compare.

Hey Chris, did you manage to get your presentation finished? I finished mine today, decided on baby-wear! Just trying to prep for the interview now, i think itl be mainly the questions we were asked in the telephone interview but a bit more depth! Hope youre feeling better!

Hey yeah, i’m just finishing it up at the moment. I’ve got all my slides (mostly) sorted and now i’m just finalising what i’m gonna be saying. I tried to find you on facebook but there were a million people with the same name as you and I couldn’t find the right one, sorry!

I think i’m gonna be preparing for the interview tomorrow on the train and in the evening but apart from specific Tesco questions about the company/scheme and their competitors I don’t really know what else I can prepare for. I’ve had so many competency based interviews lately I know all my generic competency answers off by heart!!

Hey chloshmo, how did your assessment centre go? x

hey guys!
sorry for taking so long to get back to you.
i did not attend the AC because i got an offer from the company i really like, just a couple of days before tesco AC. :smiley:
however, since i did prepare for it, i think a swot analysis on tesco’s product range would be good. also, be specific! that is based on what i researched. please share your opinions on this and your overall experience at the AC. it would be really helpful for other future candidates. cheers!
sorry, i can’t be of much help :slight_smile:

I have an assessment centre date for the 24th may…I have applied for the Tesco graduate buyer programme. Can anybody offer any hints and tips or genral help!? thanks :slight_smile:

Hi Miduso1, well done on getting to the AC…how long did you have to wait to find out from your telephone interview? I’m still waiting to here back! x

Hi Laura, I was given feedback straight after my telephone interview, and then sent a link to Psychometric testing in the same week. You have to pass this to secure your invitation to an AC. have you completed the Psychomet yet? x

Hi Laura, it took just 1 day for them to get back to me regarding feedback on my telephone interview, when was yours? They booked me in for the assessment center but im yet to complete the psychometric tests. Chloshmo have you been to the assessment centre yet? any advice? x