"Tell me about a time you had to quickly learn a process and implement it?"

star

Hello all,

I recently went for an interview where this was one of the competency based questions that they asked. It really stumped me both at the time and now that I think about it. I don’t have a lot of work experience (but am fixing this!) so perhaps that’s why. Needless to say, I didn’t get the job, and when I got feedback for it, she did allude to that poorly answered question.

It’s quite difficult to give a specific STAR answer here, because I feel like learning is general, and you’re doing it all the time.

I gave this example:

S - I had just two and a half days’ training for my temp role in call centre role.
T - So I had to learn the process of placing an order quickly, amongst other things.
A - I gave 100% concentration during training; I took notes; I actively asked questions where I didn’t understand; I discussed the process with my colleagues who were also learning it; I practiced what I was being taught at every opportunity
R - I successfully placed orders. I realised I had successfully learnt the process when I could then teach others it

It just sounded weak, especially the A part of the answer. How would you go about it? It was for a customer service/sales role in a bank call centre.

Many thanks.