Studying for the ACA qualification

ICAEW

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me more insight about the ACA exams and the levels you need to study. From the ICAEW website it shows that there are 3 levels: Certificate, Advanced and Professional. If you enter a company such as any of the Big 4, do you have to do all 3 levels if you come from a non-accounting background?

The reason I ask is because I want to purchase some learning material from https://www.gillards.com/icaew/ but am unsure of what to purchase. I know that the Big 4 companies will pay for the learning material but would just like to get a head start before I officially join the company.

Hey,

Normally if you were joining in the Big 4 and I’m guessing you’re either doing audit or tax, you will do all 3 levels. You have to complete all 3 in order to gain your ACA qualification. I hope that clears everything up, also if you buy all the materials before hand I cannot promise you that the company will refund you for the cost of the material when you join them. Just my 2 cents

Thank you for the info! :slight_smile: I wasn’t planning to ask them for a refund, which probably seems like a waste of money since the company will probably provide the same material but am just really keen to study some of it now since I have some free time before I start.

Fair enough, you will normally do them in order as well so it will be certificate level first. I wouldn’t waste your time with advanced or professional because you won’t be touching them until later in the year.