Strategy at PWC

Anyone know about this section in PWC? They are like consulting services. How is the case study interview like in this kind of company?

Hi there, I currently work at a big strat cosulting firm. I believe from what I’ve heard (from friends in PWC Strat), their work is more focused on commercial due diligence rather than the more purist strategy consulting (although I believe they are trying to growth this part of their business as well). As a result, you will more likely be working for private equity / venture capitalists / banks etc rather than corporates.

As for the case interview, I don’t think it will drastically differ from other strategy consulting interviews. I’m guessing here but from my experience, you are likely to be presented with a complex business problem and you will be required to outline your approach in going about solving it in a logical, coherent manner. Remember it’s the thinking behind your approach and not the answer that matters here. Additionally, you may also be asked a random question like “How much money does the London Eye make per year?” - my friend was asked this question at another strat consulting interview.

Hope this helps!

PwC strategy only take on about 15 graduates a year I believe. It’s extremely competitive to get into.

It depends what you want to do really. If you want to do consulting and you are a sufficiently good candidate, you should consider applying to the tier 1 firms, such as Bain, McKinsey & Company etc. Accenture also has a strategy division.

It’s rumoured that the likes of Bain, BCG, Mckinsey take on around 10-20 grads a year. But they are DEFINITELY more competitive to get into compared to PWC.

If strat consulting’s your thing, you could also consider smaller boutiques like Marakon, Mars, OC&C and also strat divisions of larger companies like Deloitte and KPMG.

I had applied to PWC Performance Improvement Consulting and am due for an interview shortly. They say the interview will last 3 hours. Does anyone know what questions they ask?

You’ll definitely have to know about PIC and why you want to do it. It’s funny- I had a friend from audit who did a six month secondment to PIC and hated it - she said it was boring - which is funny because I was particularly interested in it. They will probably give you a number of examples and ask you to suggest what the business could do to improve. I suspect the interview itself won’t last 3 hours all the way through – you’ll probably have an interview from HR/a manager and then a PIC partner.

Are you a graduate or are you already qualified (ACA etc)?

Not really, I’m a graduate and part qualified though and work in accountancy. Do they tend to prefer the fully qualifieds or is it very competitive?

Hi guys,

I’m just about to interview for PWC (Perfomance Improvement Consulting) Financial Services (Technology) does anyone know the structure of the interviews, i’m coming in as an experienced hire with nearly two years so pretty much just above grad level, any pointers things to look out for, and what kind of testing is involved (is it online ) or case studies at the interview or both. from what i know its two rounds, 1st with two managers , then no clue what happens if successful apart from theres numercay n verbal (but not sure if you don them in the centre or not)

cheers

Taz - how did your interview go? Did you clear the first round? What’s the second round like?
Was it with a partner? what questions did he/she ask you?

Does anybody have any feedback for their PIC Financial Services Technology business? Whats it like?
Whats the travel like - how much is involved?

Many thanks.

Taz - how did your interview go? Did you clear the first round? What’s the second round like? Was it with a partner? what questions did he/she ask you?

Does anybody have any feedback for their PIC Financial Services Technology business? Whats it like? Whats the travel like - how much is involved?

Many thanks.

first round was very relaxed , the two managers or seniors were very relaxed and friendly , questioned me on my experience in IT Consulting, why I want to join PwC and why PIC and how i deal with clients who arent pleased and if i enjoy travelling (nationally), sometimes internationally, the crunch n how it has had an affect on consulting and what i thought would be the next issues facing financial services after the crunch.
next round is two n a half hrs of tests (verbal numberical and report writing) followed by an interview with a partner

cheers

cool. have you heard back yet?

If so, have you taken your tests yet? What the report writing one about??

Any idea about why PwC has separated Strategy consulting & management consulting as 2 different service lines…?
IMHO, it is the same thing!

Ho wmany grads does each of these takes…? I guess they are taking more in mgmt consulting than in strategy consulting…???