sky software engineering academy

Hi pbcomp, they are going to ask you to code on the day, the first part of the day would be all about your unattended test. it would probably be an extension of the question, so study your code well and try to anticipate extra features to the software, also any extra coding question u were asked during the telephone interview (such as ‘an additional feature’) is going to come out during the assessment center. then try and get used to macbooks, you’ll need that to code, you would be paired with someone else during the ac to code, then after 45 minutes, they’ll give you a break, then you’ll come back to continue the remainder of the 45 minutes (with a different coding partner). there’s a board in the room, use it to draw up your UI, ask questions there, and work with your partner - make sure you share coding time with him/her. this is the major part of the day, the other parts are competency and biographical based interviews.

@khanny
Did you get an offer?

@khanny, that’s really useful. Thank you very much indeed!
@wi11iam, most of the questions were about the unattended test, similar to what @RD173 mentions above. So you should know your code well. I was also asked a few specific questions related to my CV and work experience.

Please I have the SKY Software Engineering Academy Unattended Test application to build, please can you help with your code so I can submit it my Tuesday. Am finding it difficult to finish it up please…

Hi, I’ve been invited to AC next week. Can anyone pls tell me what to expect in Sky AC? I had applied for software engineer role . Will there be a programming test or maths/verbal reasoning tests?

All help would be REALLY appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

some programming only.

@khanny
Thanks for the info on the AC. I have the AC this Thursday coming.
With regards to your comments:

1. Are we expected to code the ‘additional features’ of the unattended test? If so, will we be given access to the Internet for the coding of the ‘additional features’? The reason I ask is I used the Zend framework in my unattended test and while I am a competent Zend developer, I cannot remember everything about the framework. Therefore, access to the docs would be a weight off my mind.

2. If we are not coding the ‘additional features’, could you give us an example of what we will be coding?

3. What programming languages are used?

4. Are we going to take any psychometric tests? (numerical, verbal, logical, inductive, ect)

5. Is there anything that happened that caught you off guard?

Thanks in advance
-Ben

Hi Ben Annaman

wish you good luck with you AC ,I am invited to the assessment centre too could you please share your experience in more details please

1. is there any coding, if there is what is about ?

2. If we are not coding the ‘additional features’, could you give us an example of what we will be coding?

3. What programming languages are used? My test was done using C# .net, LINQ to sql, sql server , and jquery

4. do you have visual studio?

5. Are we going to take any psychometric tests? (numerical, verbal, logical, inductive, ect)

6. Is there anything that happened that caught you off guard?

7 ) what competency questions were asked.

Thanks in advance

Red

Hi Ben Annaman

wish you good luck with you AC ,I am invited to the assessment centre too could you please share your experience in more details please

1. is there any coding, if there is what is about ?

3. What programming languages are used? My test was done using C# .net, LINQ to sql, sql server , and jquery

4. do you have visual studio?

5. Are we going to take any psychometric tests? (numerical, verbal, logical, inductive, ect)

6. Is there anything that happened that caught you off guard?

7 ) what competency questions were asked.

Thanks in advance

Red

@redouane : when did you give your telephonic interview and how long after your tele. interview did you get the invitation for AC??

hi ben,
can You share your AC experience please.

Hey redouane,

the experience in the AC is very pleasant overall, very friend folk there so you will not feel pressured somehow.

1. There is a coding exercise that will take most of the day following the agile pair programming technique. Overall a fun experience that you will definitely like. The language used is a bit up to you, but if I was you I would read up on jquery and ajax requests. They will surely come in useful. :wink:

2. The exercise is unique to the AC, related to the test only in the barest way but not regarding anything technical. Your test is done and gone, forget about it.

3. See 1

4. No, you will code on a macbook, so if you’re unfamiliar with Mac grab a friends and try to make yourself navigate around a bit. Nothing you will do in the AC requires extensive knowledge, you will point click and type.

5. No. Coding exercise and interview. Also a tour and lunch are included in the schedule.

6. An interview question that is designed to catch you off guard, so I will not mention it here. If you have an answer prepared it will show and make you look very silly. Nothing to be scared of though so don’t fret it.

7. Normal stuff as always, group projects, behaviour, tackling a problem, your strengths, why Sky etc. Overall if you have had any interview practise/experience you will be fine.

I was not particularly prepared for the AC apart from jquery ajax stuff and an overview of my application so far and I got an offer without feeling any particular pressure throughout the day.

Good luck to you!

One more thing, it is very important to watch your behaviour and be friendly with fellow candidates. It matters a lot. The coding exercise is as much for interaction and collaboration as it is for technical knowledge. Share your findings, discuss, ask for help. It’s all good.

Oh and it goes without saying, definitely dress smart for the day!

I got my offer and signed the contract, I have no idea what is next … do we just wait till july? … They probably say something … just I have not heard from anyone since i got accepted (2nd march).

hi jiguromusha

I would like to thank you for your response and congratulation ! I am going for an AC Thursday , and i very stressed about it , can you plz expand on the coding test you did , was it like they give you a feature to implement or they just want to see how do you approach the problem, my self i have not done much on Ajax or Jquery j just used jquery data table plug in! also u mentioned programming with a partner, do you have to code both of you or just one ? so could u plz tell what languge did u use and what was the question, and can we use internet. with regards of interview how many question as i am crap at the competancy based questions … on giving examples and all that !!

thanks a lot.

i dont know if you received my previous messages, it seems like the web site having a problem… anyway i wrote that idid attend the AC last thursday, and they called me again to re-attend for the secound time … as they said i did not show enough evidence of my ability to code as i was not involved much in coding because we using agile technique (pair programming) so i went two day ago and i did the test again, so they will get to me with an answer this week, so hopefully will be positive answer .lol. what about you any news , did they call you ?

I’d say that it’s most unusual that you were called twice, but I guess you’re quite lucky. My AC was on thursday as well and I got a positive response by early monday morning (as did other people I know), so make sure you wake up early tomorrow! :wink:

I was in process with Sky and write down my experience and about whole process in detail here http://www.adnanaftab.com/interview-questions/sky-software-engineer-interview-process/

I am trying to find a software engineer for help me with a project it may be the makeing of you and me

I have a telephone interview coming up, does anyone know any questions they’ll be likely to ask? It’s for the software apprentice role