Sainsburys

Hi…
I have an assessment centre with Sainsburys for a graduate buying position. Please if anyone has any information or advice on what the assessment centre is like, I would really appreciate it.

I have been asked to prepare a 20min presentation, and have been informed that tasks on the day include, role play, group task, presentation followed by questions and an interview.

The assessment centre day was smack bang in the middle of my exams, so I have barely prepared for the interview and its in 2 days! Would really appreciate any help you can offer!

Thanks in advance!!!

How did it go?

I have one next week!

I also have an assessment centre next week…Jimmy and bigwheel please give me some insight on your experience

hi guys…i hope its not too late…I have got a phone interview with Sainsburys very soon, any idea what they might be asking???

Cheers!! x

Hi Cricket girl,

How has your application process gone?

I started with the online form, and received an email saying I had passed, but there were other people whose skills better matched mine and they could not guarantee that my application would be progressed. Then I was asked to complete the online applications, which I have passed, but they said they would now be comparing my application to their benchmark and would be in touch. Does your experiences reflect this? How was the phone interview?

hi leeds uni girl…

i have passed all the tests, and gone to online test straight away and then got a phone call allocating me an interview time so none of your experience had happened to me,

but my interiview didnt go well so I was rejected. the phone interview really focus on retailing, i know sainsburys is a retaillig business, but i was applying to a scheme not related to retailing so i thought i just need to know about my scheme and a bit about sainsburys, But i was wrong and thats why i didnt pass my interview. thats my advise, treat the interview as if you are applying to their retailing scheme, really do know a lot about sainsburys and their retailing environmnt. hope that helps and hope they wll get back to you soon!

cheers.

hi leeds uni girl…

i have passed all the tests, and gone to online test straight away and then got a phone call allocating me an interview time so none of your experience had happened to me,

but my interiview didnt go well so I was rejected. the phone interview really focus on retailing, i know sainsburys is a retaillig business, but i was applying to a scheme not related to retailing so i thought i just need to know about my scheme and a bit about sainsburys, But i was wrong and thats why i didnt pass my interview. thats my advise, treat the interview as if you are applying to their retailing scheme, really do know a lot about sainsburys and their retailing environmnt. hope that helps and hope they wll get back to you soon!

cheers.

Hi,
I’ve just completed the personality questionnaire, which you are required to do if you’re successful at the telephone interview stage.

I can’t provide a detailed account as to what it is looking for (in this test), as I literally just completed it and have not received any feedback from Sainsbury’s yet. When I do, I’ll return on here and post.

Up until this point in the recruitment process however, I’m going to provide some general advice for the application process. (I’m going to skip the Situational Judgement Test etc.; these are down to personality and I think it would be quite silly to presume I could shed any light on the competencies they require)

Firstly-The Online Application
You really need to draw out the skills you’ve learnt from the activities you taken part in. Don’t just say what the situation you worked in was, talk about what you did, how you helped and I think-very importantly-the skills you developed/strengthened/maintained through this activity. They are basing their first judgement of character on this, so you have to make a good impression!

Past this competency section, you need to identify why you want to work for Sainsbury’s. Don’t just bore them, and ramble on with things that your grandma that shops in Sainsbury’s could speak about! Really focus on what it is about Sainsbury’s/The Leaders Programme that really makes YOU want to be a part of it. If you have to lie about the reasons, or you can’t think of any, I always think that the company-if you gained employment-isn’t for you anyway. So research them and know why you want to work there!

Second Stage-The Online Tests
These are SHL numerical and verbal reasoning tests. A good resource for the numerical tests is here ‘http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/tests/mathstest2.htm’. Don’t look at the questions in despair, really try and figure out what they’re trying to ask you. It will only ever feature one-or two at most-calculations, I think the main thing that is tested is how you manipulate relevant data presented to you alongside irrelevant data, to reach a desired result.

Verbal tests are quite straightforward! Just follow the passage, and don’t infer anything!!

Third Stage-The Telephone Interview
Prepare, prepare, prepare! I’m going to go into the least detail here, but give the best advice I think I can. Simply know yourself, Sainsbury’s, their competitors/market, future trends, why you want to work for them, work in retail and the scheme (amongst anything else you can think of) inside out! Examples of relevant experience prove so key to passing these competency interviews! I didn’t used to prepare adequately; I never used to succeed. Now through good prep, I’m faring a lot better!

This is just my personal experience and advice I feel-well hope-will be helpful to you!

Hi Guys,

I’ve got an assessment centre coming up next week for Sainsburys as a Merchandise Administration Assistant. I’ve received an email that I will do numercial and verbal reasoning test, group exercise, 10 min presentation and interview. I would really appreciate any sort of help and advise.

Many thanks

Hi

Anyone recently passed the telephone interview and waiting for an assessment centre.

I passed my interview on the 31st October 2012 and still no reply. It states on the email that they will contact you, because they cannot guarantee places for the AC.

Anyone got an AC or are people in a similar situation to mine?

Hi, what scheme did you apply for?

I got an email a few hours after the telephone interview on the 17th oct saying I’d passed but then didn’t hear anything until last tuesday 13th when they invited me to an assessment centre on wednesday 21st, and they sent me the brief the next day as you have a week to prepare.

They told me there would be an assessment centre in november and then in january but I guess it depends wht scheme you apply for. But be ready for short notice!

Hi suzie

I applied for the Operations Management Placement scheme and I still have had no reply. That probably means that I will not have an AC :(.

Good luck with yours.

Hi Suzie,

What scheme have you applied for? I have applied for the commercial programme and have an interview next week. I was wondering if you could remember the questions you were asked?! Good luck for your assessment centre tomorrow!! x

I have an assessment centre on the 8th - anyone have any tips/advise on what they look for?

Anyone else on the AC for 2020 Leaders Placement program?

If anyone has done there AC already, how did it go?

Inductive Reasoning :frowning:

Hi Guys,

I have an interview with JS on Monday for a Product Technologist role. Is a f2f interview and a 15 min presentation. I would really really appreciate any help!

Thanks!