RSM Tenon

RSM
ICE
rsm tenon

I’ve just been offered a job at RSM Tenon in the Swindon office for Audit & Compliance and thought i’d share with you the application process as I couldn’t find anything relevant on here when looking myself.

After receiving a phone call/informal interview from the HR team I was invited to an assessment centre the following week. At the centre there were 9 of us and 3 managers assessing.

The structure of the day was pretty standard:

• ice breaker: just a simple ‘introduce yourself’ to the rest of the group
  • presentation on the company and a chance to ask questions
  • we were then split into 2 groups…group 1 went for their interviews which lasted for about 20mins and just covered the basic ‘why tenon?’ ‘why audit?’ and a few competency based questions with a line manager. Whilst we were sat waiting for our interview we had to each pick 2 random topics from a pile of cards and plan a 3-5 minute presentation on one of them. I had binge drinking. Other topics were the role of the monarchy, call centres, smoking ban…pretty broad topics. We were told to focus on the structure of our presentation (i.e. intro, middle, conclusion) rather than the content.
  • group 2 meanwhile had to complete a dragons den style group discussion whereby we needed to invent a new product/concept to present to the rest of the candiates and answer questions. We then had to complete a logical test and a grammar test where we had to find spelling mistakes/grammatical errors in a passage of text…pretty straight forward.
  • we then swapped over and following this had lunch
  • in the afternoon we had to present our individual and group presentations

I recieved the job offer the following day

Hope this is useful!!

Hi jmosley123

Thanks for the post and congrats on the job offer

I’ve applied to RSM Bentley Jennison, which is merging with Tenon. I haven’t heard from them for a while but just wondered if you could give me some advice on the first interview. How long was your phone interview? I’m a little bit worried about talking for too long or giving really short answers.

How did you find the assessment day overall? What was the group exercises like - particularly when you had to invent a new product/concept? Was there only one interview?

gradtrainee

Hi jmosley123

Thanks for the post and congrats on the job offer

I’ve applied to RSM Bentley Jennison, which is merging with Tenon. I haven’t heard from them for a while but just wondered if you could give me some advice on the first interview. How long was your phone interview? I’m a little bit worried about talking for too long or giving really short answers.

How did you find the assessment day overall? What was the group exercises like - particularly when you had to invent a new product/concept? Was there only one interview?

gradtrainee

Hi all,

I have just been offered a job with RSM Tenon at their London office and thought I’d comment on how accurate jmosley has described the assessment day. There wasn’t a first interview as such, only a brief phone call from the recruiting officer who asked a few q’s about background and work experience. Then I was invited to an assessment day, which was fairly relaxed and all the managers and recruitment staff were nice. The individual presentations were daunting but you get adequate time to prepare and they only last 2-3 minutes. The group exercise was fun and you were encouraged to use your imagination, although you only get 45-60mins to prepare. They don’t assess you on quality of the presentation (i.e how great your product is), just the way you talk and present. My advice is just to be relaxed, friendly, enthusiastic and to make conversation with the managers and HR staff.

If you get through to assessment day its nowhere near as daunting as others I’ve been to (GSachs, Rolls Royce, Airbus to name a few), its by far the most relaxed and fun out of them all.

Good luck!

Hey jg2010,

Congrats on getting the offer from Tenon. I thought Tenon were not taking any applicants for their London department because I was only had the option of a few regions only and London was not one of them. I am just curious to know when you applied to Tenon and if you know whether or not they are still recruiting for their London office.

Thanks

I applied through this link, http://www.candidatemanager.net/bentleyjennison/graduateframe.html which gave an option to select as many locations as possible. I know they’re recruiting for the London office on an ongoing basis. I applied a long while ago, possibly Dec 2009.

Thanks

Thanks for the link jg2010 but I applied through the same link a while back and did not hear back.

jmosely123. Were there any online pyschometric tests?

jmosley123. What was the logical test?

Any help would be much appreciated.

submitted application 2 wks ago and didn’t hear anything except email of confirmation. did any one know how long it will takes them to response? thanks!

I applied to RSM Tenon in October and did not hear anything from them since. I have called them about 2 weeks ago and Ive been told that theyll get back to me when they close their applications for the department I have applied to - meaning Feb/March…
So I guess if you didnt hear anything from them-dont worry, just wait and be patient (although I really dont like the idea of waiting for sooo long! =/)

Hope that helps.

Are there any Psychometric tests?

Any suggestions on: how would you add value to RSM Tenon?

Would be much appreciated

Hi, I graduated in July with a 2:1 in Accounting and Finance… I’ve been temping and made permanent in a company at the moment but really do not enjoy the job at all… I’m really interested in becoming fully qualified with ACCA (since I only have 6 exams to do with that). I am also very interested in the forensic accounting role in the Birmingham office… has anyone got any experience or know anything about this role and office? What sort of stuff would you do day to day in this role? At the moment in my current job, I don’t feel challenged and feel as though I am just repeating tasks, entering data, reconciling and reporting… nothing is challenging.

Also, I am filling out the online application, what kind of answers are they looking for on how to add value to RSM Tenon? I was thinking about talking about my skills, ambition and commitment to deliver and add value to the client etc… is that the sort of thing they are looking for?

Other information to support my application - would this be my interest in the role and the skills I have to bring to the role and team?

Most significant achievements to date, how I did them and what I learned… I am not sure but know that some of the grades I achieved in projects at uni are really impressive etc and also, some of the experiences during my placement were really good, should I talk about these?

Also, what is involved in the application to the birmingham office… once I fill in the online application, what’s next? I am quite worried about the tests as well as I often haven’t done amazingly in the past and also I am very out of practice…

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you guys :slight_smile:

The RSM Tenon website has a great breakdown of what each of the roles entails in terms of day to day work and whatnot, worth a read.

In terms of the online application questions, I think as long as your answer is well written and actually answers the question (i.e. not copy & pasted from another application you were doing at the time) you can’t really go too far wrong. Make sure you sound enthusiastic about the job and the company, and talk yourself up a bit in terms of your skills and experience.

I think talk more about experiences during your placement than your project grades? Though projects are good at demonstrating leadership/team work etc so whatever you think makes you sound best.

As far as I know, the applications are similar in all their offices… I’ve got an assessment centre arranged for external audit in Bristol, so far I’ve done online tests (no problem at all) and a quick phone interview that was really just someone asking me a few basic questions about my CV and application. There were a few more specific questions about Tenon and the job that I wasn’t too clued up on but she just said make sure you know for the assessment centre and you’ll be fine.

Hey SMW30,

Ive got an assessment day coming up in Bristol aswell, Mine is on the 17th Feb, is that the same as yours?

It is yes. Hope I beat you to the job :wink:

Hi smw30 and pro-sser (and anyone else reading). How were your assessment days? I’ve got one soon and just wondered how long they last for and what they involve?

Hi lw07bm,

I have created a post here. i think this will answer your questions.

http://www.wikijob.co.uk/forum/accounting-professional-services/rsm-tenon-telephone-interview-assessment-centre

Cheers.

Hi all,

just wanted to see if anyone is applying to the 2012 vacancies of RSM Tenon. I’m hopefully going to apply to their Tax programme in London, anyone else doing the same?

On a side note, has anyone above got any information to share about what its like to work in RSM Tenon?

thank you