RBS telephone interview

RBS

Hey guys I had a telephone interview with RBS yesterday, so I thought I’d post the questions I can remember.
Like alot of people have said already, the interviewer was reading from a script of questions and writing down all of my answers, so there were periods of silence whilst she caught up. I’d say this makes it an even better idea to write down some key points for answers, because you do have the time to make use of them, and you are able to add points as she writes them down. Ok the Q’s i can remember are:

1. What attracted you to apply to work for RBS?

2. What attracted you to the particular programme>?

3. What do you know about the role/graduate role?

4. Tell me about a time you had to teach someone something, when they had no prior experience of it? Why did you use the methods of teaching you did? Outcomes? What did you learn from the experience?

5. Tell me about a time you had to present to an audience? Why did u use the methods you did? Outcomes? What did you learn?

6. Tell me about a time you had to organise a project? etc.

and possibly one more, they are all the kind of questions that you expect, but I think the ‘Why did you use the methods you did’ which was asked about most of my experiences, is important, because for some of my examples it was difficult to really apply methodology to. Hope this helps.

Which graduate scheme/job role was this for?

Many thanks for the info!

Group Purchasing…

Andy,

That is a handy summary of the questions (I couldn’t remember what I was asked during mine when I wrote up my experiences on the other RBS threads). In my experience it is actually quite rare to get those ‘why?’ questions in competency-based interviews. But in reality it is probably the most important part of the answer, as it gives such great insight. Although to articulate a good answer can be tricky, unless you have thought about it beforehand.

I have added a couple of those questions onto the [[royal-bank-scotland-group-rbs|RBS wiki page]] to help others in future.

Were you successful? If you have any further questions about the application process you can PM me.
Good luck with your applications,
Ucayman.

Has any one applied to RBS MARKETING AND INNOVATION?

I was asked to proceed to numerical test , but i also had to do a personality test with 80 questions.

Has anyon else done one?

I have a telephone interview with retail banking. Can anyone please help me with what questions I should expect?

Thanks.

hey everyone

i have an telephone interview with RBS Retail business leadership …

i am vey very tensed can anyone plese help me…

help help hel p!!

Hi

Just wondering, got this email after my telephone interview

• Thank you for making the time available to participate in the telephone interview for The Royal Bank of Scotland Group graduate development programme. We enjoyed talking to you, and after considering your responses we remain interested in your application.

At this time, we are unable to confirm whether we will be progressing your application to the next stage. However, we will be in contact with you as soon as possible to confirm how we wish to proceed

Is that a standard thing? and if it is does anyone know from experience how long it takes for them to come to a decision?

Thanks for any help

ive got assessment centre for retail leadership on 30th march…can anyone help me pls…esp with regards to more info on role play and group discussion!

I just had my telephone interview with RBS yesterday. I’ve applied for the Group Sourcing and Vendor Management Scheme. When the lady called, she informed me that the interview would be conducted in two parts. The interviewer then told me that I would only move on to the second part of the interview if she was satisfied with my answers for the first part.

The first part covered my knowledge about RBS and about the role I was applying for as well as asking why I wanted to work for RBS and for that role. I also had to discuss how RBS had been affected by the credit crunch. I think I was also asked what I thought I would be doing in the graduate programme.

The second part of the interview was competency based questions. The three I was asked were:
-Describe a time when you had to work under pressure to produce high-quality work
-Describe a time when you had to collaborate with a team to work towards a goal
-Describe a time when you had to prepare in order to persuade someone to see your point of view

As I said, there were only three questions in this part of the interview, but very detailed answers were required for each and the interviewer asked me several questions to probe more deeply into my answers.

Hope this helps anyone else going through a telephone interview!

Dose any one got the tel interview from RBS wealth management yet? i will have it the next week. the HR said it is only competency based, but i don’t know whether there will be some motivation questions.

can anyone give some clue what kind of the question they gona to ask? cheers,

Hi Cathycathy

I had the telephone interview for RBS Wealth Management yesterday and it was exactly like ljd767’s (see comment just before yours).

I had to satisfy the interviewer on the first question - tell me what you know about RBS, how did you obtain this information, tell me about the graduate scheme to which you have applied etc - before moving on to the next three questions. It’s all competence-based (with the exception of the first question of course) so get your real life examples ready.

All the best with your interview.

Hi ljd767

Thanks for your post, it was really useful. Have you heard back yet?

Sorry, only just noticed your reply! I had my assessment centre on the 8th of April and just got the call today offering me the job. Glad to hear that my post helped you!

Congratulations ljd767!

hey,

has anybody had a telephone interview with RBS for customer advisor telephony sales position?

If so, what sort of Q’s are likely to be asked

any help would be appreciated

thanks

hi sue01, did you have your telephone interview, ive got one on tuesday…wondering what questions they asked you?

~

Has any one had to talk about ‘something they were passionate about’ ? What sort of questions came up for this ?

Thanks