RBS Graduate Intake Research 2017

RBS
together

I’ve been doing some research on the RBS recruitment process and thought I’d share my findings! Do feel free to add anything else you’ve found.
There are four parts to the application process:

1. Application form and online testing

This is fairly standard. Contact details, education, work history, that sort of thing. Make sure you articulate why you want to work in that role at RBS, and get ready for the online test.

The online test has three parts and is quite similar to many other corporate online tests.

Situational judgement: this presents some real world scenarios and asks you to respond. RBS say what they’re mainly testing here is how closely you align to their values, so bear those in mind. They are: serving customers, working together, doing the right thing, and thinking long term. Try to reflect those in how you handle the situations – put the customer first, don’t be a lone wolf, keep a strong moral compass, and don’t leap for a short term grab.

Logical and numerical: these parts will have you working with data and statistics and so will test your technical skills. Look up the kind of things you’ll need to do in the role and brush up on your maths and you should be fine. Like with many of these, you can practice by looking up SHL tests.

1. Phone interview

If you do well enough in the online tests and your application form all checks out, you should be invited to a phone interview. This lasts around 45-60 minutes and they’ll ask about your motivations, your skills, your strengths, and so on. It seems they tend to save the tougher and more technical questions for the final interviews. Get down the basic facts about RBS, know your CV and, again, make sure you know RBS’s core values. If they like you, you’ll be invited to the assessment centre where the real fun begins.

1. Assessment centre

The assessment centre will test the full gauntlet of skills. You will be put into groups of around 5-10 people and given a task. An example I’ve found is being asked to launch a mobile app. This involved discussing the features to be included, its advantages and disadvantages, what risks it might bring, who should be involved, and so on. They could give you anything, but be prepared to talk in a group about all the relevant factors for a new business venture.

You might also have to give a presentation to a senior manager that sums up the group discussion. This will test how well you can see the bigger picture, and how you can translate group work into your own.

Often there will also be a written, solo exercise. This could be something like writing mock email replies to a variety of different kinds of people, such as an irritated customer, a new intern, or a partner.

1. Final interviews

This will technically be part of the assessment centre, but is worth preparing for separately. You’ll have one or two interviews with senior members of staff who’ll ask some tougher, more competency-based questions. Some examples I’ve found include:

• Which RBS value do you relate to most strongly?
• Describe a time you’ve helped others to achieve their goals.
• Why RBS?
• Do you have any experience dealing with difficult customers?
• What’s a time when you have done things differently to those around you? Why?
• Tell me about a time you’ve failed at something.
• How do you think RBS can achieve its goal of becoming the top bank for customer service and trust while still earning profits?
• What’s the square root of 0.5?
• What challenges does the bank face outside of the role you’re applying to?
• What are your career aspirations?
• What ITGCs have you tested? (role-specific one for IT auditor)
• What would you first look for when looking at the credit of a company?
• How many pancakes are eaten during any given day in New York?

After all that, you should hear back anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks later. Please add anything else you’ve experienced or would like to know.