PwC telephone interview - commercial awareness

Hi everybody, I am an Italian student and I have applied for a summer internship in Assurance & Public Services at PwC, now preparing for a telephone interview.
As far as commercial awareness is concerned, I have seen that two of the most common questions are about some current financial/business affair of interest and examples of business that are doing well/bad. As live and study outside the UK, I don’t have much exposure to current business affairs in Britain, and therefore would be very grateful if any of you could suggest any relevant news and, most of all, businesses that are performing well/bad that a PwC’s interviewer would appriciate. Thank you very much for your help !

Sorry but the first part of my post is missing !
I am an Italian student and I have applied for a summer internship in Assurance & Public Services at PwC, and I am now preparing for the telephone interview…

I am an Italian student and I have applied for a summer internship in Assurance & Public Services, now preparing for the telephone interview

Depends what you are applying for.
If you are applying for tax, then you should consider talking about the budget (which is released this week) as that will be a hot topic and will have a lot to talk about.

I applied for tax and I personally talked about RBS and bonuses. It wasn’t in particular depth, but I showed an interest as I gave numbers, which I assume she liked. She asked for my own opinion, which I gave; demonstrating I had an interest and an opinion of the area.

In reality, I believe that as long as it is an actual business topic, it does not matter so much how relevant it is to YOUR particular field.

I was told that I was successful just before 8am the day after my interview.

With regards to businesses doing badly, you could talk about RBS or any of the high street shops (HMV, JJB Sports etc…) that are failing and try finding out why. For businesses doing well, you could talk about Peer to Peer lenders such as Funding Circle, which is seeing the size of “its” loan book growing by £1m / week (I put “its” in quotations because its not the loans of FC).

Hope that helps.