PwC Pre-Employment Vetting rejection

PwC

Anyone ever been or heard of someone failing the PwC Pre employment vetting stage? What does PwC actually do, and how does it contact your previous employers if you haven’t given them their details?

Hi Wagwan,

Haven’t personally heard of anyone failing the vetting process, but at AC the HR person said they have had to withdraw offers in the past. They’ve apparently got quite a strict forensic team who look into your background, but as far as I’m aware they tend to only check the most relevant/recent employers. I didn’t give them any contact details of past employers in my application, but I got an e-mail directly from someone in the vetting team asking for the name and contact details of my manager in my most recent place of employment.

hi, KK_2008,

so when did their vetting team start to do the backgroud check? immediately after you passed your ac or after you actually start to work in pwc’s office?
how did they contact your previous manager? by telephone or post? my friend is worrying about her previous manager can’t handle the vetting team’s question properly.

So how do they actually check your academic records, do they really verify the results in every module?

I recieved an offer from PwC buts declined it so i guess it starts after you accept it?!

As i understand it this is a very very strict process. they verify your academics with your schools/colleges/universities and your employment with your most recent employer. The Academic side of things they are strict on.

When i was in my assessment day, another candidate brought this up and HR was going through it saying in the last few year they retracted over 30 offers. A huge amount i know but thats what she said. Its what they call “discrepencies” I.e mistakes in your form. Also, if they retract an offer on this basis you are unable to apply to the firm again at any level.

When she was talking about what type of things they retract offers on… It was people not achieving the UCAS points or a 2.1. She also went on to emphasise how your Application form “needs to be one of the best pieces of work you do”…

A bit sharp i know but i can only relay what i was told at my AC! Also, theres a chance that she was overdoing it a little bit but that was my experiance with them. If you do have mistakes on your form inform them as soon as possible!

As glockenspiel said, when you accept your offer you give PwC permission to verify all the information in your application.

Within two weeks a couple of my previous bosses emailed me to inform me that they had completed reference requests for me from PwC. So they check everything pretty quickly!

As far as I know they also check all you university module grades, they can get a transcript straight from the university.

As glockenspiel said, when you accept your offer you give PwC permission to verify all the information in your application.

Within two weeks a couple of my previous bosses emailed me to inform me that they had completed reference requests for me from PwC. So they check everything pretty quickly!

As far as I know they also check all you university module grades, they can get a transcript straight from the university.

Hey do you think they just verify the grades on the appliction form? Or all grades included any other(s) outstanding? I didn’t put down all the A Levels and a couple of university modules. Do you think this will be a big problem? Any advice would be much appreciated.

If you fail the vetting checks then they can withdraw your offer but they tend not to unless it’s something really serious e.g. a fake employer or saying you finished with a 2:1 (and you finished with a 2:2 instead). As long as everything is pretty much okay, you should be fine. Any problems with the vetting process will be referred back to your recruitment office who will probably contact you directly before any action will be taken so don’t worry about anything unless they get back to you.

@jobhunter123, it’s not as bad as it sounds, that’s why they asked you to explain it to them. In the email they sent you, there’s probably a contact person and phone number. Give them a call and explain it. If the difference is just a mistake between two grades and not the overall grades, I wouldn’t worry too much about it. It’s not a direct violation of their requirements (even though they do need people to pay attention to detail). They have already invested a lot in you so far, I doubt they’re just gonna withdraw the offer over one or two modules.

I’d agree with the above. It doesn’t sound anywhere near serious enough to withdraw an offer over. Just explain the mistake and you’ll be fine.

Someone I know got an offer from PwC and of course they do background checks on everyone that accepts an offer with them. During the checks, they found a ‘discrepancy’ on his app form. For one of his uni modules he put down a 53 instead of a 63, so in other words, a typo easily made when filling out loads of these app forms.

PwC snottily explained that they had doubts over his ‘moral character’ because of this and so withdrew their offer! Even though this discrepancy was a lower grade than what he actually got.

Surprised? Don’t be, that’s PwC for you…

after reading the09’s post above that scares me alot!

In my application I put down that i took 10 gcse’s rather than 11. My eleventh one was french which was a ‘G’ and although I sat the exam at school technically I never thought I would get even that. Had I got a ‘U’ it wouldnt have even appeared on my certificates and now i cant friken get rid of it. DO you think they will fail me on that??

I dont want that bloody french gcse!!! yes in hindsight I wish i wasnt so narrow-minded at secondary school, but will that come back to haunt me??

stevie, I’m in the same situation as you, I recieved an E for GCSE french and have not put it on my application form for Deloitte. I have been told that it doesnt really matter if you don’t include it because it isnt really relevant to the postiion applied for…Technically its not lieing, is it?

So long as you have truthfully declared the degree and exam passes required to apply then you are not lying.
You are all putting the wrong emphasis on this. What would you all be commenting if the ommission was an A* in Russian and an A* in Mandarin?
No-one is lying. You lie on an application when you say you have a 2.1 and you only have a 2.2.
You lie when you say you have B in GCSE English and you only have a c.
All you guys that got the odd rogue martk in a subject which clearly was not in your comfort zone, well done for trying something even if you end up with a lousy mark. So what. It’s an extra exam.
Sometimes you know, it’s refreshing to see that some folks don’t get straight A’s and that maybe the over indulgence in some sport etc caused the poor grade.

Very quick to comment guys, appreciate the response. BTW Topcat, I omitted the french gcse from deloitte application, but they did not say anything when i submitted my gcse certificates on the assessment day. However, PWC does state that it looks to make sure that a candidate hasn’t omitted any exam results.

For me i think this is silly. I simply did not take secondary school seriously and whilst I admit I was immature, I came from a relatively poor background with few role models to point me in the right direction. In any case AQA should allow us to remove gcse’s we do not wish to have in our name for crying out loud. Let me know how it goes for you Topcat.

Cheers Guys

jobhunter,

I just spoke to my friend, I got it wrong, he didn’t put down a wrong module mark on his form. In fact, he very mistakenly omitted a module grade (which was 63, so it obviously wasnt a result he was trying to hide) and PwC threw the book at him for this.

They called him up and didn’t really give him a chance to explain and withdrew the offer there and then. PwC was also kind enough to do it just weeks before the start date which completely wrecked his plans. It was for a summer internship in London.

q

q

qq