PwC Application, Interview and Assessment Centre 2017

together
Confidential

As one of the ‘big four’ consultancy firms (PwC, KPMG, Ernst & Young, and Deloitte), PwC tend to have a multi-tiered, long and quite difficult recruitment process. It’s super competitive, so be prepared to put some work in. I’ve been doing a bit of research into the process, so I thought I’d gather together what I’ve found here. Please add your own experiences and anything else you can add or want to ask!

So first up is usually an online test, though sometimes this is skipped if you’re applying through university. This test involves numerical, verbal, logic, and personality parts. These types of tests are quite common for graduate positions, so there will be plenty of practice material both paid and free that you can find online. Specifically, PwC use SHL tests, so those would be great ones to practice.
Doing well on these tests will put you through to the main part of the process: telephone, online, or on-campus interview, followed by the assessment centre.

The interviews at this stage are usually quite short (30-60 minutes or so) and ask fairly standard interview questions. Things like ‘why PwC?’, ‘what draws you to this role/line of work?’, and so on.

After this, you may be invited to an assessment centre. Throughout the whole process, it’s important to know PwC’s core values – their professional framework – as these are what they will be looking for during the assessment centre as well as the interviews. These are:

1. Whole leadership
  2. Trust-based relationships
  3. Business acumen
  4. Technical capabilities
  5. Global acumen

In other words, PwC recruiters will be looking for these factors in the tasks and activities they set during the assessment centre. They’ll be looking for leadership, how you build relationships with those around you, your business sense, your technical abilities (such as maths), and your awareness of the wider world and current affairs and their impact on PwC’s dealings. Frame yourself through those five aspects and you should be well-prepared for anything.

You’ll be asked to deal with case study scenarios in teams, asked to react to quick changes, challenged on your skills, and will need to show that you can do all of that within strict procedure and changing circumstances and deadlines that plague most projects.
The assessment centre might also include your final interview(s), but sometimes those can come afterwards instead. Often, a partner will conduct these interviews and they’ll be tougher than the first round of interviews. The questions asked can vary enormously, but some examples could include:

• On a group project, how did you work with the team to succeed?
• Describe an issue within that team and how you overcame it.
• When have you had to work with someone you don’t know on a project?
• What’s been your biggest challenge?
• You pretend you know a lot, but you don’t know much. Am I right?
• Walk me through your CV.
• How would you deal with a team member not pulling their weight?
• How do you like to keep up to date with current affairs?
• What would you do if you found a colleague was leaking confidential information?
• Why did you choose PwC over the other big four?
• Have you ever had to deal with a difficult client?
• What do you think could be improved about the Malaysian economy, given current circumstances?

After all that, all you can do is wait for the outcome. You should hear within a few weeks of your final interview.

Good luck, and feel free to post your experiences here!

thank you!