PWC application form

Microsoft

Hi guys,

I am applying to PWC for an internship in Management consultancy. CAn anyone tell me if this a good answer to the question below.

“Imagine you are working at PwC. If you could choose an ideal client to advise, who would it be? Your ideal client does not have to be a current client of PwC. 500 words”

Answer:
My ideal client would be Microsoft due to my particular interest in technology. Microsoft is a multinational computer technology company that develops, manufactures, licenses and supports a wide range of software packages and gaming consoles to its customers. It also provides consulting services to its customers by working with them to help their business move forward with IT initiatives that deliver the most business value by deploying and optimising IT services. Its most profitable products are Microsoft Windows operating system with the latest Windows 7 being the fastest selling software product for 2009 and Microsoft Office suite with the latest version Microsoft Office due for release mid next year. Among its other successful products are Visual Studio targeted at Software developers which provides the platform to create applications and Xbox 360, an interactive gaming console, which is rivalled by the Nintendo Wii and was a great success. PricewaterhouseCoopers can provide a wide range of services to Microsoft helping them to reduce taxes, business planning, for example, how to increase software sales and adjust existing functionalities offered by the packages to better meet the increasing demands of its customers and devise a strategy to combat illegal downloads of the software over the internet. PricewaterhouseCoopers can advise Microsoft on mergers and acquisition opportunities they are considering. PricewaterhouseCoopers can also assist Microsoft find ways to maximise their profit in the current economic climate by using means such as changing the price of the products and offering promotions to make the products more attractive as more people are cutting back on their spending. Although the technology industry is affects other industries as it provides products that automate process, improve efficiency and minimise human error, it faces various issues such as software copyright infringement, security breach due to hacking, malfunction of software due to viruses released on the internet. While PricewaterhouseCoopers is providing these services, the above mentioned issues that are affecting the industry should be taken into consideration and relevant steps should be taken to ensure that they are tackled.

I think this is a very good answer - did you get accepted?

Surprisingly not. don’t know why? I thought it was good too!

I think you answered the question very well but it might have been just a matter of grammar and quite long sentences.

I’m working on this question at the moment. Has anyone else attempted it?

hello cli624,

Last year i applied for an internship at PWC in audit and had to answer the same Q. Turns out, i didnt get the Internship but did get past the application stage and coincidently my ideal client was ‘Microsoft’.

Having read your answer, differences from mine are, the first 13 lines of yours, i summed up in around 75 words, it may be that youve spoken too much of there products, for instance the only microsoft product i mentioned was xbox which i did not even contrast with the Wii, as this isnt really a deadly rival, considering the company as a whole, i did discuss IBM and Google, id mention them if i was you. (ie. could mention how google are entering the mobile phone software industry with a greater impact than microsoft).

Also with the services Pwc can provide, i used several with some REAL examples, such as the M & A department could assist microsoft in its aquired stake of facebook, and could possibly adivse on a take-over. also i mentioned the forensics department, microsoft is extremely large, there IP rights are substantial and PWC can definately help them with assessing licensing fees or damages on any infringement.

hope this helps!

Thanks all for your input, as it happened I didn’t get past the application stage (if only these comments had come 7 months ago!). At first they got back to me asking me for my A-level grades (which were quite good) and what school I went to. I replied and then a couple of days later they rejected me. I couldn’t quite figure out why, at the time I thought maybe it was because my A-levels was outside of the UK.
Maybe I will apply next year again, not sure I wanna get into consultancy just yet now so its probably a good thing I didn’t get it.
Good luck with your application ravness!

No problem and thanks. I got through to the online assessment now but I haven’t done a diagrammatic test before so slightly concerned!

Is anyone else in the same boat? If so if you could share any practice links to this test I would appreciate it. I will also post any I find.

Hi, im looking to apply for the headstart vacancy at PwC and on the online application form you have to answer this question:
Imagine you are working at PwC. If you could choose an ideal client to advise, who would it be? Your ideal client does not have to be a current client of PwC. In answering this question please provide us with answers to the following:
•Who is your ideal client and what services do they provide?
•What services and advice could PwC offer this client?
•What commercial/industry issues are affecting this client in the business market that should be taken into account when a providing them with advice?
Does anyone have any tips that would be useful when answering the question? Also which is the best client to chose?

Any tip you recieve here is going to be regurgitated 100 times over, by optimists browsing the forum. Your best off coming up with something original. Just use a SWOT analysis framework, pick a company you are actually interested in, and you’ll be fine. At the end of the day, they’ll grill you further on your choice when you get to interview stage - so failing to answer this one yourself isnt going to do yourself any favours…