Professional Conduct Question

Hi,

I have an interview coming up for a training contract and I know I might have to answer a professional conduct question. I have had one of these before and I find them really hard.

Is there a right answer? Should I look at the SRA’s professional conduct guidelines?

Is it best to do anything for your client?

Anyone has any opinions, they would be very much appreciated!! thank you so much!

Have a look at the rules of conduct if you can. However, the main ones are:

• You must work in the best interests of your client
  • Avoid conflict
  • Confidentiality
  • However, the first rule can only be complied with by ensuring you are competent to act for the client
  • A lawyer is bound to act with integrity, their overriding duty is to the court. Yes, they have to work in the best inerests of the client but this does not mean by forsaking honesty and integrity.

Possible Q:
You and you supervisor are meeting a client on a Saturday. Supervisor is in an accident so cannot attend. Client wants answers here and now, what do you do?

Possible A:
Advise client you are only a trainee and not qualified. Listen to problem. If feel competent to advise, do so within your knowlege. If not or advice is insufficient, ask client if he is ok to wait a couple of minutes (maybe offer coffee/biscuits) while you try to contact another partner, perhaps from a different office for advice. A lot of interviewers will try to panic you by saying youwill lose the deal if you don’t give advice. Do not let this change your answer. It is unfortunate if you lose the deal but that is better than giving wrong/bad advice and/or breaching conduct rules.

Hope this helps. :slight_smile:

If you have further q’s, just ask

Thank you very much. It is a difficult one hey, but your advice has been really helpful at pointing me in the right direction. Cheers