PricewaterhouseCoopers' application: What the hell am I suppose to do?

Hey everyone,

I am planning on applying for PWC Assurance (April intake). I graduated with an engineering degree in 2008 and hence kind of unaware of the application question. I am kind of in a bit of a pickle as I haven’t got any finance degree.
I am just looking into the application when I came across the following question:

“Imagine you are working at PwC. If you could choose an ideal client to advise, who would it be? Your ideal
client does not have to be a current client of PwC. In answering this question please provide us with answers
to the following:
-Who is your ideal client and what services do they provide?
-What services and advice could PwC offer this client?
-What commercial/industry issues are affecting this client in the business market that should be taken into
account when a providing them with advice?”

I was wondering if any great person has any help or ideas to tackle this.

Any help will be much appreciated guys.

Thanks
Vinny

Go to Financial Times/Economist/WSJ etc websites, try & search a recent news about some company which interests you. Then search about that company in details(through their own website, some other sites related to that industry sector etc) & try to answer the questions from there on.

Thanks much dior.denim and browncargos.

@browncargos: thanks for all the valuable info. I have started reading all the websites that you mentioned. Major help… thanks again :slight_smile:

@dior.denim: I am so grateful for your thorough information and it really did make a lot of difference to my knowledge on this matter.
I am going to submit my ‘registration form’ tomorrow and will let you know the progress.
I am planning on using Vodafone as my company and the losses it’s been facing recently. I am planning on providing a number of services from pwc from consultancy, risk assurance to valuation & strategy.

Do you reckon it’s a good idea to choose vodafone?

Many many thanks again mate. You are a legend.

not a problem, vinny… i understand exactly where you’re at atm… vodafone is a good idea, im sure you will find plenty of information on them + you seem to have gained an understanding of what the question requires which is good… let me know how it goes… hopefully we’ll both make it to the assessment centre!

Would you know straightaway if you’d passed or failed the tests?
I’m really quite worried about the verbal one. I’ve had a lot of practice but can’t seem to do them well.

Hi all,

Im also doing the same question for the assurance line of service. Do you guys know whether we have to relate the answer to the line of service which we are applying for (ie. assurance)??

@ Betelgeuse88 - I dont think we need to do verbal reasoning. Ive only done numerical, logical and personality tests, then its the application question straight after.

Much appreciated

Thanks
D

Hey D,

Yay!! Thanks for the heads up! I’m really dreading the verbal tests!

Hey dior.denim how are you keeping?

So I submitted my registration form and now I have got to complete the numerical, logical, student and pwc questionnaire.

Did you finish yours dior.denim? I am kind of curious about the whole tests thingy as this is my very first battle with it. Would be very grateful if you could shed some light on this. :slight_smile:

Hope you are doing well tho.

Guys Im new to this forum. Ive also applied for PwC Assurance(Autumn intake). Well first of all, I read over some other blogs that PwC requires an essay to go with your application. The essay question the same as the “ideal client” one. I recently submitted my application and there was no such thing as Ideal Client essay. Within a day i got the response as PwC sent me a link to take an Online Reasoning test. I took the test and the following week I was told that PwC wishes to progress my application further! :slight_smile:

The next step was, unsurprisingly to write an essay of about 500 words on the question i dreaded all along. Who would be your ideal client and what services etc etc.

Hows it goin, Vinny… ive also been asked to take tests… ive done a bit of research, and these two sites appear to be a good choice for preparation:

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html

http://students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm

shl are the company that create the recruitment tests for most companies. Im pretty sure they make the pwc tests. so that would be good practice. however, they only allow you to do the test once. you can do the tests as much as you want with efinancialcareers. im probably going to sit the tests tomorrow or monday, not too sure yet.

let me know how you get on!

Hows it goin, Vinny… ive also been asked to take tests… ive done a bit of research, and these two sites appear to be a good choice for preparation:

http://www.shldirect.com/practice_tests.html

http://students.efinancialcareers.co.uk/numerical_test.htm

shl are the company that create the recruitment tests for most companies. Im pretty sure they make the pwc tests. so that would be good practice. however, they only allow you to do the test once. you can do the tests as much as you want with efinancialcareers. im probably going to sit the tests tomorrow or monday, not too sure yet.

let me know how you get on!

I thought about it for a while and decided to opt for ADIDAS Group as my Ideal client. I’ve done a little survey on their Financial position and i could see that Adidas is not performing at par. Their Profits are on the decline and their market share seems severely threatened by strong presence of Nike. Operating overheads and costs are on the rise whereas Sales revenue shows consistency. Even the mergers are not living up to their supposed standards… Theres more to it plus the backing of statistical numbers!

I think that Pwc could help Adidas by providing the following services(2 examples):
Audit and Assurance(from auditing of financial statements to setting up controls etc etc) Who doesnt needs the Audit service!

Consultancy(From assesing operational efficiency to addressing the issues regarding outsourcing, Cost cutting etc)

My question is am I moving in the right direction or is my understanding too vague? Forgot to mention that I have applied for Undergraduate Headstart programme in Assurance. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

no offence… but… how do you expect to get considered for an audit post ( which is what assurance is really) with an engineering degree? U’d be better off applying to consulting

LOL… @abi_ibd
you dont need an accounting or business-related degree to get a job in audit. even the website says that. i spoke to a lady working at one of the big4, who currently trains graduates. she did a degree in english literature! for a career in audit you only need to start off with a good base, and the capacity to expand your learning, the training provided takes care of the rest really.

yea, but dont u think, given the abundance of accounting or business graduates in the market today, they’d go one of them rather than engineering… not that it may not happen in entirety, but I’d assume at a firm like PWC, coming in with a business degree would give u an advantage…

i suppose. but according to big4 sites, theyre more interested in your enthusiasm and your ability to develop relevant skills. and ive been told that engineering students have a slight advantage when applying for jobs in finance, because theyre degrees are deemed more complex. goldman sachs, for example, actually targets engineering students. so it depends on which way you look at it, really.

Well I did some research on big 4 especially PwC and they hire 50% trainee from finance/business background and the rest from every degree background. SO I suppose we (with non finance degree) stand equal chance. :slight_smile:

@dior.denim- Thanks mate for your last reply. I’m gonna be doing the tests either today or tomr. PwC is having a presentation tomr in Leeds so I will be going there to get some more insight.

Good luck mate