Post uni and no prospects

IBM
Response

Hi everyone,

I graduated this year with a 2:1 in Business Studies and have became extremely depressed and feel like there is no prospects for myself at all.

I have been applying for jobs since May. Whether this be through graduate schemes, recruitment agencies even temporary work and I can’t seem to get an interview. I have a large amount of work experience as I worked in IBM for my placement year.

I feel like the four years I spent at university were a complete waste of time. I spend my days doing application forms and never seem to get a response. I am by no means the only person in this situation.

I just don’t believe that prospects for graduates can be this awful.

The main reason I am applying for everything and anything is that I am very short on money right now and I can’t wait until next September to start a role.

Everyone says apply for temporary jobs for example a call centre. I have done this but when they get an application form from myself they clearly do not put me through to a further stage as they do not want to invest in someone that is not going to be around for long.

Thanks for the tips I have been signed up with milkround for a year now I reached two final assessment centres last year with no job offer.

I just never envisioned graduating from uni with a wealth of work experience to be on jobseekers allowance.

Also does anyone know how long it will be before intital applications are reviewed by graduate schemes that are opening now?

A further problem is I have 280 UCAS points from one sitting and it seems many finance schemes are upping the requirements to 300 this year.

It certainly is not. Do not apply for anything and everything. Make sure you know where you want to be i.e. audit or corporate finance or trading. Than find out the companies who offer those opportunities and apply to those. Lets say you want to be an auditor; apply for audit roles with the big 4 as well as smaller firms such as Grant Thornton, BDO, PKF, Mazar, Hat Group etc (these will work as a safety net). Sign upto milkround and keep updated on deadlines. Get a second opinion on your application forms before submitting them. Given your work experience and degree; I am sure you will secure something very soon. All the best.

@hellohello

I know the original post for this thread is ancient but I thought I’d pick it up as I know there are thousands of graduates feeling like this right now (in Nov 2010)!

I’ve just written a post on this today, which you’ll find useful - it’s called “10 ways to re-boot your job hunt NOW”:

I agree with Aj’s point that applying for anything and everything isn’t a good idea, no matter how desperate you feel! Employers can spot a ‘scattergun’ approach a mile off and they don’t like it.

My concern is that you haven’t said what sort of job you’re looking for - is this because you don’t really know (or care?). Again, your lack of focus could be part of the problem. It’s natural to think that more applications = more chance of getting a job, but actually this isn’t true…

It’s common for grads to start panicking about money - and perhaps the state of the graduate job market? - which makes them adopt a ‘headless chicken’ approach, which in turn actually REDUCES their chances of actually getting any of the jobs they’re applying for!

Having a bit more focus will help you narrow down your options better - read this article on ‘How to Choose your Career’: http://bit.ly/9f59WN

Once you’ve done that, I also suggest you have a ‘back to the drawing board’ day and spend time looking at which job-hunting techniques have worked for you (led to interviews) and which haven’t. Another common mistake graduates make is to keep doing the same thing over and over again, even if it’s not working… If anything has worked, do more of it - and don’t be afraid to ditch any techniques that haven’t worked for you - what have you got to lose?!

Also try a broader selection of approaches for different types of job - graduate schemes can be fantastic but they’re not the only option! You’ll find this article on “How to Find Vacancies” useful for helping to discover jobs that are less widely advertised (and therefore less likely to be over-subscribed): http://bit.ly/c5H4Z1

Best of luck -

Tanya de Grunwald
Founder, GraduateFog.co.uk