Oliver Wyman 2013 and tests advice

Oliver Wyman

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if anyone has sat the OW tests. I have mine on the 8th this month in London and have heard that they are pretty tough. I was wondering if anyone has done it could spread some information on things to focus on?.. Some have said that we should look at GMAT examples- how true is this and will they have anything like geometry or things like this (as this features on the GMAT)

Little worried so any advice would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers people

Hey no one has replied but I thought I’d give people for the future some advice. Basically the test as staed consists of 30qs to do in 30mins. Time management is absolutely key. If you find that you are taking 1-1.5mins in a single question move on.

I didnt do great on the test but I think my major problem was that I was reading too much into the questions I simply couldnt do. There are q’s of different levels and I believe a better strategy might be to tackle all of the easy ones first so that you can sift through these and with whatever time you have left, tackle the rest. This ensures better time management as well higher chances of accuracy.

Also alot of the q’s are related to the GMAT style questions. Problem solving effectively- if you could invest in one of these books or use online resources (this may be helpful). Also to answer my own question- there is no sign of geometry. There was one question concerning a cube that was split into loads of other cubes but it wasnt too complex… Also the verbal follows the GMAT style…
Everyones approach is different but hey I hope this helps some nervous people…Practice: simples.

Hey ,
I am taking the test on 14th Jan. Your comment helps.
I have tried practising GMAT tests. Are there any specific areas of math you got more questions from?
Like probability, linear /qudratic equation, distance speed time questions?( Could you please give some examples of the questions you got?

Have you heard back , if you are through.

Good luck

Hima

Hey ,
I am taking the test on 14th Jan. Your comment helps.
I have tried practising GMAT tests. Are there any specific areas of math you got more questions from?
Like probability, linear /qudratic equation, distance speed time questions?( Could you please give some examples of the questions you got?

Have you heard back , if you are through.

Good luck

Hima

Hi Hima,

I also sat for the test on the 8th so will try and answer your questions.

I’ve never seen any GMAT questions before so I’m not sure how similar they are. Apart from your normal percentage, ratio, proportion questions that you’d fine in SHL/Kenexa tests there was also a bit of geometry - eg. there was a question where knowing the formula for the area of a circle would have led straight to the answer. Basic probability and stats would also help - eg. there was question that asked how many handshakes would take place if 12 people at a conference all shook hands with each other person once.

But as it has already been mentioned, time management is key! We were also told at the beginning that we weren’t necessarily expected to finish all the questions so if you don’t know how to work out a question, or find that you are taking too long, just move on to the next. There were plenty of questions to be answered - 30 in 20 mins.

I heard back 3 days later.

Hope that helps and all the best :slight_smile:

Tessa

Did anyone hear back after the test? :slight_smile:

Hi Tessa

How’s your result? Did you get an interview with OW?

Hi everyone. Does OW only have a numerical test? Do you also need to do a verbal or critical reasoning test?