NFU Mutual- Excel based test

I am invited for the assessment centre for NFU Mutual and they have mentioned that there will be an excel based computer test and a group exercise. Would you have any idea about how I can prepare for one of an Insurance company? What specific functions do i need to practice on?

Cheers
Zephyra

specifically, the excel based test any one??

thanks

Zephyra

I have also been invited t NFU Mutual for an interview involving an Excel based computer test. Also would like to know what sort of knowledge i should brush up on.

thanks.

I have also been invited to NFU Mutual for an interview involving an Excel based computer test. Also would like to know what sort of knowledge i should brush up on.

thanks.

see you on the 29th then. im quite clueless about it though. best of luck…!

zephyra

hi
i was just wondering how the assessment went and what it entailed as i have one.

Cheers
Emz

Hi Foxy36,

My assessment centre with NFU was a mixed bag, the group discussion went well but my excel based test didnt go well.

The main part of the excel based test for NFU was studying data sets. Now these data sets were massive around 5000 entries. An example question of the top of my head (This wasnt one i just cant really remember), would be:

“How many sets of data were in scotland”

Now this is one of the simplist questions on the test, but you cant just count them on the screen, you need to know how to “Filter” through the data, so you order it and it shows you how many pieces of data were in scotland. The tests was set around this sort of idea. Another question would be:

“What was the total value of all work in Northern Ireland”

Here you would have to filter the northern ireland data sets and then sum the total of all the work done.

Some of the later questions are more advanced, so i recommend you really study on how to filter through large sets of data.

Also there was 1 question on creating a “Macro” if you know what that is, if not just type something like Excel Macro into google and should find some instructions.

Good luck.

Cheers for that.

Emz

@Rhj87

Hi
Have you been selected for the role.
I am invited for the assessment center . It will be great if you provide me some more information about group discussion. its my first assessment n I have no clue about these activities.

thanks
Nik

Hi Nik,

It was a long time ago now since i went to that assessment for NFU, but as I can remember it what I had to do was. There were 5 of us in a room, with 3 assessors sitting in the room with us. Usually i would feel really nervous when in that situation but for some reason feel too bad, but maybe that was just me.

The gave us a sheet of paper, with a list of 10 skills that an someone applying for that position should have, then we had to order them ourselves 1 to 10 which was the most important, we had about 5 minutes to do that, then we had to discuss for 20 minutes between a group and reach a concensus on what the order should be.

Obviously you have to voice your opinions on WHY you think a skill should be a certain number. So long as you stick by your choice and give valid reasons why this skill is important you will be fine.

They may change the actual task that you have to do, however it will generally be the same i assume, have a group look at the task for about 5-10 minutes and discuss. So this will im pretty sure be ordering some some different things and then saying why you think its so important.

As the advice goes on this website, (Which is excellent). Best i can advise, is dont be too nervous everyone else is in the same boat. When looking at the task think up arguements for why something is important/not important.

Talk with confidence and clearly put your points across.

Listen to others, and make eye contact with them.

Sometimes give a reply to their ideas eg: Yes I agree because… No I dont agree because… Its imporant you always give clear explanations.

Try not to interupt other people while they are talking. However do not let yourself be dominated eg: dont keep quiet for a long period of time, when someone has stopped talking try and make a point quite often (Not all the time dont be dominating, its about finding a balance be involved but not dominating).

Above all DONT argue, Ive seen this happen before when people get too enthusiastic which can be detrimental to their chances.

In the end I would say you are unlikel to Meet these people again (the other candidates), so if you feel you are out of your comfort zone and are nervous just think Screw it i dont care if i look stupid talking I probably wont see you again

Hope this is helpful in some ways. Though i would recommend you read the useful tips on this site. When it comes to the specifics of the NFU assessment it was nothing too complex, just simple ordering and discussion, the Task is always just there to stimulate discussion so its about your general behaviour and attitude in these situations.

Good luck.

Hi Rhj87

Thanks, Its a good stuff. I am feeling much better now.

Thanks a lot once again.

Nik

Hi Nik85. I was just wondering whether you could explain how your assessment centre went. I have read Rhj87’s post but would be grateful if you could add to it? For example, what were the more difficult questions like on the Excel test? Was your group discussion on the same ordering?? Thanks very much! (a bit nervous since I have been to 7 assessment centres and they’re always finding one bit to improve on!)

Hi Nik85. I was just wondering whether you could explain how your assessment centre went. I have read Rhj87’s post but would be grateful if you could add to it? For example, what were the more difficult questions like on the Excel test? Was your group discussion on the same ordering?? Thanks very much! (a bit nervous since I have been to 7 assessment centres and they’re always finding one bit to improve on!)

Hey guys.

@ Rhj87: Thanks for the input. What stream did you apply for? Was it a final round for you?

Hey,

Did anyone attend their half day AC for the actuarial role?
I heard there was supposed to be an interview last week, after we received confirmation whether we had failed or passed.

So far I haven’t heard anything, either way! If I failed [which it seems] it would be useful to have feedback.

Hey guys,

I have an asses day for the trainee sales consultant role on thursday.

What was your experience of the role plays? Any advice for the presentations?

Much appreciated.

Presentation: (i) Keep good eye contact with audience, (ii) have a logical, concise & relevant presentation, (iii) Don’t waffle on

Role play I’m unsure about. I guess just be on your toes and remember to be professional whilst keeping your objectives in mind.

HI

I have a competency based interview today for sales and service adviser does anyone have any idea of the questions they will ask or how many they will ask?

Thanks