Mouchel -interview and Assessment center PLS HELP

Hi
I have an interview with Mouchel soon. i applied for their graduate academy program,please can anybody who has been through the process please help with the interview questions and Assessment center stages . I am most grateful in advance.

Dear Wiki users

Following emix’s mail, I do have one coming up soon as well. Could anyone help with what to expext re:interview questions e.t.c…or if you know someone who has had an interview with them, pls share their experience…Many thanks.

Hi Mobsyb,
What stage are you at the process… we can talk further if you want.Am having a telephone interview in 2 days…

hello guys,
Anything at all regarding Mouchel, interview or ac pls share your views or experiences… You guys can have a look at the site got lots of openings… Thanks

Hey everyone, I am through to the telephone interview stage for the mouchel graduate academy (Civil Engineering). I was wondering if anyone has been through the process and if so, what are the type of questions they are likely to ask?

This will be my first telephone interview for a graduate scheme so I am quite apprehensive and would appreciate any advice that could be offered.

Hi,
I just did mine.THEY ARE STRAIGHT FORWARD QUESTIONS.

WHY DO YOU WANT TO JOIN MOUCHEL?
WHY DID YOU APPLY TO THAT PARTICULAR SCHEME?
TELL ME OF SOMETHING YOU HAVE ACHIEVED IN THE LAST ONE YEAR AND WHAT BENEFIT HAS IT BROUGHT TO YOU?
TELL ME OF A TIME YOU HAVE WORKED IN A TEAM?
TELL ME OF A TIME YOU WERE FACED WITH A DIFFICULT SITUATION WHILE WORKING IN A TEAM AND HOW DID YOU RESOLVE IT?

YOU MUST GIVE CLEAR EXAMPLES, SO I 'LL ADVISE YOU PREPARE YOUR ANSWERS DOWN.I AM PRETTY SURE IT WILL BE D SAME Q’s. IF U NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST DROP ME A LINE OK. GOODLUCK
I HAVENT HEARD FROM THEM YET,BUT I WAS TOLD I LL BE CONTACTED IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS.

I had a telephone interview with Mouchel for a Civil Engineering position in November and the questions are pretty standard. E.g. Why Civil Engineering? Why Mouchel? your communication skills, how you share your work load etc.

However, I never heard anything back from them following the interview. I assume that this means I am unsucessfull but it would be nice to get a simple email to say I was unsucessful. Suppose thats too much to ask though!

Hey
I had mine already just got mail today saying I was not successful.I tot i did very well though because it was the basic questions you have just mentioned.Well I was advised to apply again for any other position I was interested in.
Questions -Telephone interview

Why do you want to join mouchel?
What target have you set out for yourself to achieve in the last one year? it has branching questions as you answer.
Tell me a time you worked in a team?
How do you share your workload and priorities?

@Jim I guess you should send a mail to who ever interviewed you.

Hello I am on the graduate academy at Mouchel I graduated from university in 2009 (beng (hons)civil engineering) and currently working as a civil engineer.
There were 5500 applicants to last year’s graduate academy and there were only 65 of us actually employed. I think around 3/4 of all applicants don’t make it past the telephone interview stage, and only the select few make it to the assessment centre and even fewer make it to final interview at the relevant office.
If you would like my advice I can only say it’s about luck and being keen, you have got to be prepared to go the extra mile. When I applied I passed all the stages and got to the final interview only for the job to be removed due to workloads however I persevered and was put forward for another job because they liked me and hence was employed.
These jobs are massively competitive at the moment and the recruitment staff work really hard because of the sheer number of applicants but they are really good and keen to help, so if in doubt drop them an e-mail or give them a call and make sure they know you really want the job.
Make sure you know about Mouchel, get in touch with your local office and ask about what work they are doing e.t.c.

p.s.
Jim: The recruitment team was changed around dec so maybe you’re just lost in the system. Definitely get in touch with them.

Hi Civil Engineer, thanks for your suggestions. I contacted the HR team and I am due to carry out a technical interview shortly. I also have a classmate who has been invited to an assessment centre and he is very nervous about the whole thing. I was just wondering if you could provide some information about the assessment centre from your experience. For example, are reasoning tests involved? Is there another technical interview? Do you have to make a pressentation etc… I’m sure everybody on this forum would grately appreciate it if you could tell us what the assessment centre entails. Thanks for your help and good luck with your career!

Hello Jim

Don’t worry about the assessment centre it is really relaxed and they want you to do well, they want to get the best out of you, I didn’t find it too taxing in comparison to other assessment centres although it is not easy either, nothing is in this industry. I had assessment centres with wsp, sellafield, Mouchel, & interviews with Jacobs, and a number of other companies. Mouchel’s and wsp’s were the best.
My friends at university had assessment centres with pretty much all the contractors and not one of them had a good experience.
I won’t give too much away about the assessment centre, but yes you do have to do a technical interview with a manager from the area in which you are applying. Make sure you know your subject so which ever job you have applied for do your reading.
When I had the mine I was asked: what the purpose of pre-stressed steel was in concrete? I had total head block but was just honest and made a joke about it and everything was fine I ended up getting really high scores. It depends on who is interviewing you some are more relaxed than others but the general day is very chilled. They don’t expect you to be technical gods they just want to make sure you have a good grounding and are willing to learn and more importantly keen.
Just remember they only need one technical expert in a team and the majority of engineers go on to management jobs not technical senior engineers. Any good manager will know this.
It is really difficult to get jobs these days out of a class of around 40 I was one of only 3 people that got jobs, and I know people at other universities who have said the same, some of the chaps in my class where first students, very good at engineering, much better than me, but are now working in crap jobs like cafes and warehouses they didn’t even get to the telephone interview at Mouchel.
You have to emphasise your out of university experience and any managerial or leadership roles, remember there are thousands of people with degrees yet only a few people who are potential leaders. I started university at 22 had plenty of work experience, had done a summer placement for a consultancy as well as military service.
So if you don’t get any jobs write to your local engineering offices for summer placements and go do a masters.
Most of all be flexible on location, wage and job type. I wanted to do water engineering in the north yet ended up moving 250 miles down south, doing highways.
Let me know which office you have your assessment centre in and if I am around I will pop my head in and say hello.

Hey everyone,

I have been invited to Mouchel’s Assessment Centre (regulated industries) for a Civil Engineering position. Any past experience of what to expect would be greatly appreciated. The above info is very useful and if anyone can elaborate on it, that would be great. It’s my first AC so I’m fairly nervous. I thought the 1 hour technical interview was bad enough so I’m pretty apprehensive about a whole day of testing! PLEASE help!!

Cheers

Thanks for your help Civil Engineer. Unfortunately, I did not pass the interview stage and will not be progressing to the Assessment Centre. Good luck with your career.

To LFC: I think all you can do is research your subject area and the company. I contacted Mouchel a while ago for some basic information regarding the assessment centre but I got no information. Here is an extract taken from Mouchel’s careers section of their website:

“We’ll let you know EXACTLY what you will need to do and give you any additional information that will help you PREPARE”.

This statement refers to their recruitment process but judging by this forum, I would say it is false. When I contacted HR to get some information in order to prepare, I was simply told that the details of the assessments will be given on the day. This doesn’t exactly leave much time to prepare! Looks like their recruitment process involves choosing the person who is least nervous and gets lucky on the day unlike other companies such as Atkins and MottMacDonald who provide you with plenty of information in advance and choose the person who is most prepared (and therefore more likely to be a hard worker).

Anyway, good luck with the Assessment Centre!

jim/LFC:

There is nothing you can prepare for on the assessment day so it does not matter if they told you or not you couldnt do anything anyway. The assessment day doesnt really last a day you could probably have it finished by dinner time its only because there are a few people to get through that it takes a day.

I also explained I messed up my interview and they still saw past that and gave me a job. Mouchel is a fairly small organisation (in comparison to the household names that is) with big ambitions so they are selective.

They are not just looking for a graduate because they are cheap and they can pile up a load of crap work on. They are looking for someone to develop, all the graduates I know on the programme are managing their own projects of various magnitudes and are given a lot of responsibility.

LFC: You have made it to the assessment centre so you are halfway there already so you have done really well already not many actually make it to the assessment centre.

Dear Jim,

Could you let us know the timeframe between submitting your application to starting your job please?

Many thanks

Dont know whats with the delay between the telephone interview and getting a response about the outcome. Its been two weeks for me already and i have had nothing back. There must be a lot of apps for this year’s entry

I think you meant to address that comment to Civil Engineer.

I failed at the technical interview stage. My friend passed though and attended an assessment centre a few weeks ago. He was told that he would be informed of the outcome within a week but he still hasn’t heard anything yet! They seem to like to make people wait after every stage of the process! It’s a bit anoying considering people have spent time completing the application, preparing for and carrying out online tests, preparing for and completing the telephone interview, the technical interview and the assessment centre.

I’ve just been invited for a technical interview by mouchel. To those who have attended, does mouchel re-imburse travel expenses? Also, are the question technical or mouchel corporate issues are asked as well?
Thanks

I think that depends on which position you have applied to. In general, the technical interview involves a number of technical questions combined with some competency based questions and a couple of the usual questions (similar to those asked during the telephone interview).

Mouchel reimburse reasonable travel expenses as long as the cheapest method is selected. You should check with your HR contact in advance to clarify.

Pazua

Assuming you have got past the assessment centre the technical interview is with the hiring manager. I had 2 technical interviews.

one were I had 2 managers drilling me fairly hard on what I know. When that job was removed due to the economic problems I was then sent for an interview elsewhere.

This was with one manager (my now line manager) it lasted about 10 minutes and did not involve any technical questions. My line managers view was that the assessment centre sufficiently tested our technical abilities and he just wanted to get to know me.

It all depends on the manager if you have got past the assessment centre then you have done really well all ready, and the competition for the job will now be minimal.

re: Mouchel Corporate issues: if you dont know anything about the company then I am surprised you have got to the technical interview. They are not looking for managing directors or technical wiz kids they are fully aware that only 1 in every 100 will fit this description. They shouldnt expect you to know corporate issues but make sure you have an up to date idea of what is happening within the related industry.

Plus what you think is a mouchel corporate issues may not be relevant and may make you look stupid. If asked relate to industrial issues, market crash (middle east division lost us a lot of money) and cut backs in government sectors reducing fees.
I am one of those who has been deemed as having a lot of potential (you do psychological testing at the first academy event and my managers are impressed with my ideas e.t.c.) as a result I am working on the Business improvement plan (normally done by managers I am the only graduate and non manager) I am also asked to attend events by the business unit directors on different corporate issues so I can give my ideas (I am due to attend one next week with high level regional management & again the only graduate and non manager). So I am up to date on the corporate issues (although there are lots that I dont know about) and trust me they are not what you would think of or know anything about unless you working with or know someone privy to the information.

RE EXPENSES: We have a new system now so not sure on how you will do that but like Jim said contact hr.