Morgan Stanley Phone Interview Advice

Morgan Stanley

Hi,

I have a telephone interview with morgan stanley and was told that the interview will cover technology fundamentals and is designed to test your current technical knowledge but also your aptitude.

Thanking you in advance

Andrew

@ Andrew, how did it go mate? I have just stumbled across this open thread, I would love to answer but I’m in the preliminary position of waiting to do the actual telephone interview.

Have you got any pointers you would like to share, by all means holla!

Hi Guys
I am going to do the phone interview next week. How was yours? What sort of question you were asked. I applied for technology as well.

appreciate you help!!

Sam

@ Sam,

I’ve applied for technology likewise. My telephone interview is Monday morning, will post up some tips 4 sure. When is yours?

Thank you very much for sharing. Hope you do yours well.

@ Sam, had the phone interview about an hour ago. Went ok’ish.

The interview was conducted by a top EMEA manager in Web technologies. Very much in the know, surprised me with the outside research I noticed he had done on my C.V.

He then took me though my C.V asked me about the technical duties I experienced within my previous (internship/placement) role that was with IBM.

Pretty good.

He then threw in some random questions simply off the cuff, regarding things from web security to how a website works? (http/ server/ client requests etc my answer) Touched on scripting (pearl, visual basics.) Areas not really in my top skill set, but I answered well. Then where I’ve had big experience with database technologies the interview took a delve into a pop quiz about databases. “3rd Normal form - What is it?”

Also, remind yourself that any thing you do say will be given as evidence… lol

So if you end up talking about something that sticks out, like your experiences with a particular product or technology, remember that this will be questioned. Without a DOUBT!

What else? Hmmm, Times where I managed a project, some other HR but technical stuff, so, working in a team, how did you approach certain areas of work etc.

Just expect the unexpected with relation to technical questions, and when given the opportunity to model the answer about your own technical knowledge in relation to your own work or projects you’ve worked upon, sell yourself that way emphatically, if you find the random technical knowledge questions throw you.

A strategy I used when given the random questions was to model them with examples to illustrate that I knew what I was talking about and it helps the structure of your response.

I wish you all the best, if you have anything more specific to ask me, I will try my best to answer, but, my best advice will be - be yourself take time with your responses, think to play the game of selling yourself, showing that you are a candidate from them to make good note of, boast in a sophisticated sense that you’ve been someone, who stands out
(I done this and this and got accreditation or nomination. e.g) and use examples with the technical pop quiz.

Regards
Mike Max

Hi Mike,

Thanks for sharing your experience. It’s really useful. I will take my interview on this Friday and I also apply for technology. What role do you apply for? Application developer or infrastructure?

Chuyi

Hi Mike Max
Really appreciate your help. Now I know where to look at to be prepared.Did you apply for development or infrastructure?

Thanks again
Sam

@ Sam & Chuyi I applied for Infrastructure.

Hope my dealings helps, all the best of luck to you both.

@Mike,

Thanks for your help. Hope you could get the offer very soon.

@Mike & Chuyi
Hope we will all get job in MS and become colleagues. Looks like we can form a good team.

@ Mike
I have also applied for infrastructure. My work experience is around sysadmin and working on different implementation project. Apart from my CV which I need to be prepared for, What else do you suggest me to prepare base on you phone interview experience?

regards,
Sam

Hello, I applied for Infrastructure, and I had a phone interview today, and just like Mike said they are technical questions. Be careful of what you say because you are going to get queried about it. So dont just ramble on about your IT skills if you think you can use it to impress bcos it could bury you. You are being interviewed by a top ranked staff who probably knows a whole shitload more than you do, and would love to hear about your so called skills. If u mention databases you bet your ass you’ll get queried. I was told to construct an SQL Query for retrieving info from a database based on certain conditions. Then he went round and round and kept asking me loads of other database questions. Then networking questions, servers and PHP coding, it ws pretty intense. I ws sweating after.

I got asked so many off the board questions, some of them threw me. After that he asked me a competency based question about teamwork. I would also recommend that you ask questions after,and very intelligble ones too, I could tell that he ws impressed by the kind of questions I asked. Just relax and be conversational (not informal though), but sound confident, and if you make a mistake in your answers apologise and say the right thing.

I have some good news though. I received an email this evening (yes barely 6hrs after my interview), to attend an Asessment Centre next week. Really psyched about it, but jittery too. Anyone who’s gone for an assessment centre could you please provide any pointers.

@ Sam,

What I would strongly recommend is that you have your experience and technical points which stem from there, down to a tee. You will be questioned in relation to the experiences and your course at University.

What I would suggest too, is that you be ready to answer questions and pop quizzes about anything technical, be sure to have a understanding of scripting languages C,Visual Basics PEARL COBOL, things like that, maybe have a web page open which defines them, because they like to just ask random stuff. It will be a very random telephone interview.

I didn’t like this stance.

However be ready for any question, you can’t really prepare for it too much.

Unfortunately I did not progress with the job application, I’m pretty sure it’s because my interersts are not so technical as they would like. You will gauge the impression that the role is very technical from the array of questions they ask.

Nevertheless, I have made progression with an array of Investment Banks offering more analytical technology programs. Proper Interviews at the end of the month beckon.

But anyways, be sure to read up on general technical things, i.e scripting languages, program development frameworks, database topics. Just be confident too and take time to think about your responses don’t dive in. As you will be swimming with Random Sharks!

Hello, I applied for Infrastructure, and I had a phone interview today, and just like Mike said they are technical questions. Be careful of what you say because you are going to get queried about it. So dont just ramble on about your IT skills if you think you can use it to impress bcos it could bury you. You are being interviewed by a top ranked staff who probably knows a whole shitload more than you do, and would love to hear about your so called skills. If u mention databases you bet your ass you’ll get queried. I was told to construct an SQL Query for retrieving info from a database based on certain conditions. Then he went round and round and kept asking me loads of other database questions. Then networking questions, servers and PHP coding, it ws pretty intense. I ws sweating after.

I got asked so many off the board questions, some of them threw me. After that he asked me a competency based question about teamwork. I would also recommend that you ask questions after,and very intelligble ones too, I could tell that he ws impressed by the kind of questions I asked. Just relax and be conversational (not informal though), but sound confident, and if you make a mistake in your answers apologise and say the right thing.

I have some good news though. I received an email this evening (yes barely 6hrs after my interview), to attend an Asessment Centre next week. Really psyched about it, but jittery too. Anyone who’s gone for an assessment centre could you please provide any pointers.

@ Mike
Thanks for sharing and best of luck for you.
SAM

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone recently done the Technology Analyst phone interview for Morgan Stanley? I need tips please, as mine is coming up next week.

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone recently done the Technology Analyst phone interview for Morgan Stanley? I need tips please, as mine is coming up next week.

Hi,
@ congdave
my phone interview was not ‘deep’ technical. The lady asked at first, why do I want to work for MS, in financial sector, what distinguishes MS from other banks, etc. Then she only asked a few questions about my previous job, projects I have been involved in, what is my favourite programming language ;), what other languages I know, what kind of tools (IDEs) do I use, she also wanted me to describe one project a bit more detailed. As you see there’s no need to worry :wink: just tell them what you know. Could you let me know whether you are invited to AC (after the phone interview)? I am in pretty unfortunate situation, as I have been invited to AC, but have the exam at University the same day. And they did not know if they are going to organise another one, so your info on whether you are invited (that means that they are ;)) would be helpful.
Regards
Karol

Hi Karol,

Thanx so very much for the tips, did you apply for infrastructure or application developer.?? glasgow or london…?? Your questions are pretty straight forward, I honestly hope to get the same lady…loool…because i’ve heard about some pretty technical telephone interview questions. I definately would let you how my interview goes and on the other hand, I think you really need to make an important choice if they wouldn’t be conducting another AC after your batch.

Thanx ones again for the tips…sure it would come in handy

Dave