Lancaster Business School

Hi all – I’ve been looking at this establishment for myself and a couple of other friends who are looking at furthering their business management skills through postgraduate studies. The department literature states: “The Department’s Masters programmes draw upon our excellence in cutting-edge research, and provide able graduates with theoretical and practical skills that equip them for success in the increasingly complex world of finance.” It seems that they place a high emphasis on making sure that the skills students come out with are useful in the real world and not just academic in nature.
The concerns that I have over postgraduate studies is the fact that it comes a bit too academic in nature and makes it increasingly difficult for those who have completed postgraduate studies to then sell themselves to an organisation as being able to practically apply the skills they have. Of course there are many ways to get around this and it seems that the university year in encouraging students to get involved with local employers has achieved the balance between allowing academic studies to take place, but also making sure that the students are preparing themselves for the real world in the future. This really is an absolute must for any postgraduate course in my opinion. What does anyone else think?

The make up of any postgraduate course will of depend on the subject that is being studied, and if it is purely academic in nature such as Ancient History. the teaching approach and the end outcome are different to those where there is a commercial outcome. Those with a commercial outcome will be tailored to have a relevance to that objective and in some cases will allow for work experience. Of course of where we are talking of MBA’s and of accountancy and management degrees I think that most universities, and almost all forum contributors, would agree that it is best to have gained some form of work experience before setting out on the degree. This would allow for a better understanding of the degree and its application.
Each university will adopt a different approach as there is more freedom in respect of postgraduate teaching.
There is also the decision to be made as to whether you should attend a business school or you should attend a university that does not have that significant focus. Add to that the option of being able to study for a postgraduate degree abroad where you will will gain a much broader knowledge base and also benefit from being in different culture and there is much to think about before you make a decision. What I would say is that there is no “one university degree fits all” and this places sever strain on the student to undertake deep research before stepping into the postgraduate world.

Ya! that’s excellent and good thinking

The Lancaster MBA is indeed strongly rooted in cutting edge research skill but I think they also have a good balance of both practical and theoretical approaches. Students also get chances to apply the knowledge they’ve learned and gain other skills that will be relevant to their careers in the process. In an interview I read on BusinessBecause, a Lancaster MBA mentioned that they carry out three live consulting projects during the year. The first of which begins only two months into the MBA. They work with businesses in various industries, and at different growth phases. This is in comparison to most MBA programs that only have one live project or an internship in the summer.