KPMG telephone interview for Sept 2013 intake

Has anybody had a telephone interview with KPMG for the September 2013 intake ? Is the format just the same as last year with similar questions? Many thanks.

They tell you the competencies they will be assessing you on upfront and they come from this list; kpmgcareers.co.uk/graduates/how-to-apply/key-competencies/

I have just had my telephone interview for a graduate job in audit and the format seems to be much the same as last year. There were a mix of competency and situational questions based on four categories. They send you an email before your interview which has a link to the competencies that they are assessing you on. The interviewer was very friendly and gives a brief intro as to who they are etc. before starting.

Competency questions were:
Which of your recent achievements have you been most proud of?
Tell me about a time where you had to meet a number of competing deadlines, how did you cope and what were the outcomes?
Tell me about a time you have under performed or not met your targets, why was this? and what have you learnt from this?
Which business is performing well at the moment, why? what problems will they need to overcome in the future to remain sucessful?
What problems have affected UK businesses since 2009/10? which problem do you think is the most important?
When have you improved a customers experience or customer service in general, how did you go about doing this?
When have you had to deal with an angry customer, how did you deal with the situation? and what was the outcome?
Why KPMG, over the others in the big four?
Why audit? and what do you expect you will be doing during your first year?
What new hobbie or extra curricular activity have you taken up in the last 2 years?

Situational questions:
You have very strict guidelines as to how your projects should be handled, and you were told that you could only pass any of KPMG’s work to the client after having at least two of your senior colleagues proof-reading it. You are working on the client site and your client really wanted to see the review that you have been working on, it would take some time for it to be proof-read but your client wants to see it immediately. What would you do?
One of your senior colleagues who have recently joined the project team that you have been working on was asked to observe you in a presentation that you will be making in front of the clients. During the presentation, the colleague questioned your methodology, what would you do?

Overall the interview is supposed to take 45mins-1 hour, but mine took 1hr 15 as my interviewer was very chatty at the end during the time given for you to ask questions. They say you will find out the outcome 2-3 working days later.
Hope that’s helpful

avb91, so were you able to pass the interview :)? how long before they told you their decision? I just had my tele interview…

Hi All

I’ve got to complete my verbal and numerical tests by the end of the week any tips to pass on? I’ve been told if you score anything higher than the 30th percentile you get put through to the next stage, is that true?

Cheers

Mr.C

Hi All

I’ve got to complete my verbal and numerical tests by the end of the week any tips to pass on? I’ve been told if you score anything higher than the 30th percentile you get put through to the next stage, is that true?

Cheers

Mr.C

Hi All

Cheers

Mr.C

verbal: 70 percentile or higher
numerical :30 or higher

tip for numerical: 24 questions in 20 min if i can recall correctly. the level of difficulty is high, but the good thing is that if you focus your 20 min in answering accurately, even if u only answer a few questions by the end of the test, you will pass it. make sure u at least leave 1 min to guestimate the remaining questions cuz its always best to do all questions since there is no negative marking for wrong answers.

Hi all,

I passed my kpmg telephone interview, been told recently. How are people preparing for the new a.c? x

So you have to score in the 70 percentile or higher in verbal reasoning to get through to the next stage? How many questions can i expect to receive? Any tips for that test?

Very helpful. So how did you get on? Best of luck!

Both the verbal and numerical require you to be in the 30th percentile or greater. That is all.

Hi! I scored less than 70 percentile and still passed.
You don’t need to pass Verbal to do Numerical, but Verbal comes first for Audit positions at least.
I can’t remember how many questions but it was not difficult, honestly.
I thought I failed the Numerical but passed.
Make sure you do not rush… they don’t expect you to finish anyway.

hi,

Does anyone have an idea of what the bew AC at KPMG look like?
Has someone been through it yet?
I have telephone interview tomorrow and your comments are very helpful… If you have more to add please do
Thanks!

sk11: It’s very difficult to prepare for the new assessment centre as you are given all the information you need to complete each activity. It’s broken down into four different sections throughout the day with breaks in between, and there is very little interaction with any of the staff. The competencies they are looking for are listed on a hand out for each task so you know what you should be aiming to address but they look for the same competencies on more than one of the activities so don’t worry if you think you’ve done badly at one!

audreyk: In terms of the phone interview, make sure you read as many of the questions other people were asked in the posts on this site. Make sure you’ve brushed up on a bit of commercial awareness too. I was caught out on a question where they asked me to describe a company that has recently expanded overseas!

Thanks martyfizzle this is very helpful!
Wish you the best…

Has anyone applied for KPMG Management Consulting? I was told id hear by the 24th July, but have since received 4 emails telling me they are still reviewing the process. Just wondering if anyone had heard any different.

Hi, everyone
Just got an email from KPMG saying I was unsuccessful after my telephone interview last week.
Because i have not seen in this thread anyone giving feedback about an unsuccessful application, i thought it would be useful for you guys to know where and how I believe i have failed so you can try to avoid my mistakes.
First of all, my telephone interview lasted exactly an hour. The interviewer was not very warm; he appeared to me very strict and it was difficult to break the ice at the beginning and even in between the questions. I guess some auditors can be very stiff.
One of the comments on my feedback was that I had inappropriate language. I have recorded myself during the interview and till now i can’t find any inappropriate language i have used. I think this comment has to do with me trying to break the ice by cracking jokes at the beginning of the interview. I tried to talk about how people might be losing enthusiasm over the paralympics.
Another comment was that i wasn’t concise enough in my answers. When replaying the interview, I realised that at the beginning i was very concise as I had prepared for the questions obviously but at some point he was very pushy trying to know the exact how/why/when in each of my answers so to avoid him asking for specifics I started stretching out my answers giving the more details and examples possible. However, he started cutting me off all the time and I felt like it might have irritated him. For example, when he asked about my newest hobbies and why i choose those, i answered Bikram yoga which I practice a lot since the last 6 months but he didn’t know what it was so i tried to explain what a bikram yoga class is llike and why i think it is useful in my career (ability to focus, mind and body balance, body detox, steam room etc) but he pushed me for more and more details and cut me off when i had not finished answering.
I think most of the personal examples i had, he maybe couldn’t relate to it or understand it.
I think my feedback was a bit harsh but the competition is fierce so they have to be hard. on us.
I still have interviews lined up for the rest of the Big 4 so I will use this feedback to do better next time.
I hope this will help any or all of you guys in your applications. GOOD LUCK TO US.

hi everyone,
Quite a few of you have been asking me in PM which questions i was asked during the interview.
Tbh, there wasn’t any new questions when i compare to previous posts on this thread.
I had answers for all of them so i think what is the most critical is your personality on the phone and a good judgement of how long or shor your answers should be. Also you have to be able to adjust your answers and examples with your first impression of the interviewer. Again, this is only my own opinion.
here are the questions (not in the right order)

• Issues businesses are facing in the UK and how they can overcome those issues
  • Name a company that is doing bad, why it is doing bad and what the company should do to increase its performance in the market
  • What would you do if your manager asked you to redo a task you have already completed and you have another deadline to met on a different project? Why?
  • What is the most recent hobby you have and why did i choose that particular one?
  • What do you think the audit service do that benefits companies? why?
  • what is the achievement you are most proud of? what was it in the achievement that you were the most proud of? why?
  • Tell me about a time you delivered excellent customer feedback

There was a lot of going back and forth with the questions. He would twist each of them as i would give answers.
I would strongly advise not to try and break the ice if they don’t do it themselves. it is very hard for me as i am very outgoing and my personality is very out there and so friendly. i would have thought it is much more formal with the partner than than with a line manager so …
there it is…
Again, good luck people!!

I am very curious as to how someone would successfully answer this situational question (mentioned above):

One of your senior colleagues who have recently joined the project team that you have been working on was asked to observe you in a presentation that you will be making in front of the clients. During the presentation, the colleague questioned your methodology, what would you do?

Do you just say that accept his feedback and try and incorporate it in the rest of your presentation? I know the interviews are quite difficult and the interviewer really pushes you on these questions so was wondering what everyone else was answering.

Also, another tricky one is:
Tell me about a time you have under-performed or not met your targets, why was this and what have you learnt from this?

You don’t want to state that you havent met deadlines, so can you save yourself on that type of question? Any ideas, I’d really appreciate it as I don’t know how to dyplomatically answer those questions :S