KPMG Tax Graduate scheme Birmingham Office success story

Baker Tilly
WikiJob
KPMG
Deloitte
Teach First
BDO

Hey guys and girls

I am eternally grateful to wikijobs and am here to repay my debts. (excuse my incorrect spelling/grammar)

Before I go on about the KPMG assessment day, I just want to say that who ever out there is getting rejection after rejection after rejection, do not give up, you have just had a mixture of bad luck and lack of practice.
I got rejected from BDO, Baker Tilly, Swat and teach first before I got this offer.

There are a lot of posts on here about the various steps for kpmg so wount go into too much detail. Put through a good application, and make sure you practice for the numerical and verbals.
For the first round interview, just have a look at all the other posts on wikijob and compile a list of all the questions they could ask and categorise those into the competencies they will test you on. Prepare at least 3 or 4 examples for each competency and make the answers quite general so you could mould it into the question they will ask you at the interview.
And remember, make sure your commercial awareness is really good as this is key to kpmg interviews/AC. Go to accountancyage.com and read that everyday. Do prepare an interesting story you have seen in the news (or a couple), a business that is doing well and a business that is doing badly and you will not fail the business focus competency.
The first round interview is all about preparation. So be PREPARED.
As for the assessment day, make sure you do a lot of research around your topic of presentation. Mine was Primark. I did a SWAT analysis and did a bit of background info of primark. I then proposed to expand into Chinese market……advantages….disadvantages etc.

One important thing to remember and maybe to add is:
Make sure you mention that KPMG can help company XX analyse whether their proposed solution (e.g. expansion) is beneficial given the company’s current situation. Basically, what you are saying is that your proposed solution maybe excellent or it maybe crap, you are not an expert, but KPMG are experts and the first thing they can do is analyse whether the proposed option is feasible.

Be confident, energetic and polite at all times.

The group exercise is very simple, you don’t need to be albert Einstein. Simply smile, be very polite, don’t interrupt and show a bit of resilience to support your own points.

I found the etray quite difficult and time constraining. Just follow the advice of other users regarding the email and as for the questions just pace yourself, manage your time well. And even if you screw up (which I thought I did), don’t let that affect the rest of your performance.

In the partner interview, make sure you seem like you know your business awareness crap, and that you are very easy to get along with. Afterall they want to judge whether they would like to have you in their department.

I went to the AC on Wednesday and did not get a call back on the Wednesday, Thursday or Friday….the weekend went by and I was hopeless. Monday at work (2pm) I got a call from an unknown number and my heart sank. I quickly went to the toilet and picked it up…it was a lady from KPMG HR with the good news. It took 3 working days and the weekend for them to get back to me.

Remember, if you get rejected take it as a positive and build up on it. I’m glad BDO and baker tilly didn’t accept me….cause KPMG are better (for me)!!
Also I have an interview for deloitte coming up (which I turned down). My point is, keep the interview coming in until you get a job and are 100% satisfied with it.

Best of LUCK guys. Keep applying and applying and applying. Your may need one AC to secure a job or you may need 10. It doesn’t hurt to attend 10/15 attempts.
And if you got rejected from 5 places, it doesn’t mean you are incompetent at the job, you maybe the best potential in the office.

Hey, thanks for your detailed post and congratulations on your offer. I have an assesment day coming up and I just wanted to ask on the commercial awareness side of things how much do they expect you to know about tax? Do they ask you to talk about recent tax issues?

Hi
Sorry for the late response. I think its good to have a broad perspective of it just incase it pops up. I dont think its very likely for them to ask you a question specific to tax (in terms of commercial awareness). Try preparing some of the broader issues affecting financial services.

However, in terms of tax, just be aware of the recent VAT increase, merging if NI and income tax, 50p tax rate for high earners etc.
Also, It would be useful to have a detailed look at the eurozone crisis and the impact this may have on financial service firms like KPMG.

Oh and just to reiterate, when researching for your proposal (partner presentation), just make sure you know what the weaknesses are facing your current proposal. This may be particularly true since the recent eurozone crisis.

First of all congats for getting the job. and thanks for the great post. I am planning on apply for KPMG this session. I would like to know. what programme did you apply for.

Should the commercial awarness be related to the programme you apply for or is it more generalized that could be applied to any programme.

First of all congats for getting the job. and thanks for the great post. I am planning on apply for KPMG this session. I would like to know. what programme did you apply for.

Should the commercial awarness be related to the programme you apply for or is it more generalized that could be applied to any programme.

Hi everyone,

Hope you’re all well. I am applying for the Marketing Graduate Scheme September 2015.

I passed my Assessment Centre last week and am just waiting on a date for a final interview with a Senior Partner. Can anyone offer any advice on this stage of the process? I have found that there is much more information on every other stage of the process. Anything would be a great help and I am more than happy to offer advice on any of the other stages of the process if you PM me.

Many thanks,

Lara