I just finished my phone interview with KPMG. I did pretty bad as I was blubbering and pausing a lot but hey ho, you live and learn!
I just want to post my experience because it’s fresh in my mind in the hope I can help anyone!
My interview was incredibly nice… I actually felt sorry for her for having to interview me. Ha!
The interview itself was very structured and they will explain each competency beforehand and then state what competency they are looking for before the questions.
The competencies they are looking for are all on the email you received when you booked your telephone interview so no surprises there. But I will list them anyway: Delivers Quality, Resilience, Career Motivation, Awareness of Business Opportunities and Makes an Impact.
(Makes an Impact is assessed throughout so there are NO questions under this competency)
- Tell me a time when you had to stick to a rigid procedure/process.
(Lots of probing questions, e.g. How did it make you feel?)
- You are engaged in a project which you need to finish it in this week, and a new project which you don’t know much detail about and the deadline is next month. You also have school exams in two months, what would you do?
- Tell me a time when you had to do a task in which you did not agree with the objectives/process
(Once again lots of probing questions, e.g. Did you raise any concerns?)
- You are assigned some analysis work by your manager which requires you to collect information and data from various people. You have had lots of problems collecting data and hence this has affected the quality of the work you could have done. Your manager is aware of the issues that you have faced and is happy with the work you have produced given the difficulties. Your manager and yourself are presenting the work you have done to the client who is not very happy with the work. He is picking out points in the analysis that he feels are not up to standard. You feel he is missing the bigger picture of the analysis and focusing too much on minor points. How would you handle the situation in the meeting? What would you want to achieve by the end of the meeting?
AWARENESS OF BUSINESS OPPORTUNITIES
- Can you tell of a company that is doing bad? List 4 reasons why
Probe - What reason do you think is the most important? What do you think is the future for this company?
- Tell me a time when you delivered excellent customer service
- What makes KPMG different from the other Big 4?
- Why do these fall in line with your own career goals?
- Why Audit?
- How does audit fall in line with other services? (I completely muffed this question up with a lot of uhm-ing and ah-ing. I thoroughly recommend you know EXACTLY what services they offer)
- What commitments would you make to KPMG? (something like that)
& a few others but I cannot remember.
If you need any more information/help, feel free to message and I will do my best to answer
Best of luck to everyone