KPMG Partner Interview 2012

Hello everyone,

First of all I would like to thank everyone who contributes to these forums, it has really helped me with all my applications and so I want to give something back. I have been accepted by KPMG for a graduate Audit role in Leeds (hope to see some of you there in September!). Whilst I was preparing for my partner interview, I found that there wasn’t much information about it and so this will be the main point of this post. Feel free to ask me any questions about any other stages of the process but given that it all started in October my memory may not be brilliant!

The layout of the interview was as follows:

-Competency based question
-Situational judgement test
-Competency based question
-Situational judgement test
-Personal chat

The competencies I was tested on were Career Motivation and Awareness of / Seizes business opportunities. I don’t know if these are the same in all the interviews but basically there will be some competency based questions so use your preparation for the telephone interview here.

The situational judgement tests are different scenarios that will be given to you. You will then be asked what would you do in these situations. I can’t give much advice here other than be honest, they will be able to spot someone who is trying to give an ideal answer. Also stick to your guns and explain yourself; I felt at one point that my partner was trying to catch me out with some leading questions but I was consistent throughout which I think is something they will look for.

The personal chat is just that. I got asked about what I like to do in my spare time, my family, my college/university experiences and the changes each one brought (it turns out my interviewer went to my old high school!). I can only assume this section is to see how well you would fit in the department; although you are talking about yourself in a personal way and not a business way, remember it’s still an interview - don’t get too informal.

Inbetween each section there was a few minutes of conversation unrelated to the questions so make sure you are aware of current affairs. I ended up talking about the situation between Germany and Greece but have a few areas of interest up your sleeve.

I hope that this helps, like I said feel free to ask any questions and I will try my best to answer them. I also got to the competency interview for Deloitte and the assessment centre for PwC but there are plenty of topics covering those, however I will answer questions on those as well. Good luck!

Hello Gareth,

Congrats on the good news! I just thought of asking a few questions on KPMG phone interview if you don’t mind answering.

1. What kind of questions did you get asked when you had yours?
  2. What was the phone interview like in general?

This will be my third phone interview thus far. Passed the first one and failed the second so I’m quite nervous as I really hope to get through this stage.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks a lot in advance x

No problem at all:

1. The majority of my questions started with “Tell me about a time when…”. Here they are looking for you to use STAR - Situation, Task, Action, Response. It seems really obvious but make sure you highlight how effective your action was in leading to the result. During the business opportunities competency, the questions were about factors relating to businesses (in particular applying to international firms). My interviewer was definitely angling towards talking about the Euro crisis as he led me on to talk about that after I hadn’t brought it up myself.

2. Generally the interview was quite formal. They obviously ask the questions they have written in front of them and will try their best to get what they need out of you. However it wasn’t a grilling, the guy I had seemed like a nice bloke and wasn’t intimidating at all. They do their best to make you feel at ease as well. They must also take into account the fact you’re going to be nervous as I’m sure I didn’t come accross as incredibly calm but passed anyway!

Best of luck :slight_smile:

Hi Gareth,

I had my partner interview on Tuesday (28th) and was wondering how long it took you to hear back with an outcome? Starting to think the worse…

Thanks,

Thank you so much Gareth :slight_smile:

Just another question if you don’t mind me asking. Was the interview robotic at all? My last phone interview was really short (about 20mins!) and was robotic while the first one was more like a formal chat in which the manager put me at ease.

So I’m just hoping that this one will go well for me.

Congrats again on the offer :slight_smile:

Hi go, Im in exactly the same boat as you. Interview on the
27th and nô reply yet. Where did you apply for?
Maybe its just the same office being slow.

Hey!
I actually heard late yesterday afternoon! So it was around 56 hours! What time did you have yours? Mine was at for Birmingham! xx

I’ve got an 2nd round interview at KPMG in cio management consulting, has anyone been through the process? e.g. presentation to the hiring manager and then 1 hour interview with the recruiter? ANY HELP PLEASE!!!

I heard back the very next morning but did get told up to 3 working days. I do just think it depends on how busy the office is at the time. And no, the interview was not robotic at all. At times it was difficult to remember it actually was an interview, it could very well have been held at the pub! I’m not saying that all interviews were like mine but I’d like to think that the majority of partners are as friendly as mine was.