KPMG first interview

Hello all!

I have my first interview at KPMG for tax next wednesday. I was wondering how long your answers are expected to be. When they ask you about being part of a team, do they want you to give the whole lot about what teams you’ve been involved in and things that you achieved within that team, or do they want you to give a brief answer to say “I was part of a such and such a team” and then they ask more detailed questions about what you did?

Thanks

[QUOTE=Jewhoo;791]Hello all!

I have my first interview at KPMG for tax next wednesday. I was wondering how long your answers are expected to be. When they ask you about being part of a team, do they want you to give the whole lot about what teams you’ve been involved in and things that you achieved within that team, or do they want you to give a brief answer to say “I was part of a such and such a team” and then they ask more detailed questions about what you did?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Later next week I’ll stick up a post about my experience with KPMG from the application form all the way to the assessment centre (and EY if anyone wants it), but I haven’t got time to type it all at the moment so it’ll have to wait until next week!

Anyway, to ‘briefly’ answer your question. Your answers will vary in length - there isn’t a right or wrong length; although more than 10 seconds would be good! A couple of minutes would be ample; the aim isn’t to launch into some rambling monologue but rather to convey what YOU did, how YOU did it, and why that makes YOU so great. If you can do that in just one minute then that’s fine. In terms of an initial answer, give ALL the information you feel is relevant to the particular competency; if they want to probe/ask you questions on it afterwards they will. KPMG will only ask you for ONE example of each competency, so they’ll only want ONE example of when you worked in a team - pick your best example.

As an aside on the KPMG interview, make sure you’re up on your commercial awareness - I was asked 3/4 commercial awareness questions; the most of any of the firms I applied too.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that! I did an interview with KPMG about 6 years ago for an internship and the questions were appalling - name a time when you solved a problem, name a time when you solved multiple problems with one solution, name a time when you solved one problem with multiple solutions, name a time when you solved multiple problems with multiple solutions…you get the idea. Is it now not so bad as this?

Actually I did an interview for KPMG Manchester about 2 years ago and the questions were pretty much exactly like you just described- “give me an example of when you worked in a team” etc. They are pretty dry questions so sometimes you might have to monologue it.

For the team one specifically, don’t talk about yourself but rather what your contribution to the team was, and how it helped the team achieve its goal.

I’d say overall, prepare for the worst. I did quite a few interviews at accounting firms and by the end I was reeling off answers from memory like it was a script.

Funnilly enough once you’ve done enough interviews, you start to be able to nail each one. It’s just practice so be prepared!

Well I had my interview and I passed! I was only asked for one example of each competency but there were a couple of other questions that aren’t on the list.

What aspects of the job do you expect to find difficult?

What types of industry do you think KPMG should try to get into?

For the second one, I talked about carbon offsetting companies - because of the fast-changing tax legislation they would need good advice. The interviewer actually told me that it was a good answer!

well done jewhoo!

i have my interview on wednesday!..any chance of posting up a few more of the questions which you was asked?

Would help alot!

Also what changing tax legislation did you mention??

Cheers

I didn’t really mention anything specific with regards to the changing legislation, I said that green taxes are constantly changing and are complicated (I asked the interviewer if she knew how much her car tax would be next year by way of an example - she didn’t). Relatively speaking, carbon offsetting firms aren’t overly well regulated yet, and the government keeps changing the taxes, hence the need for some KPMG Tax advice.

As part of my preparation I wrote out a list of questions that I compiled form various online sources;

Can you give two examples of when you hav been part of a team? (prepare two, in case you get asked, and it might help to have another team answer to link to another question)

Can you give two examples of when you have been a leader?

Why do you want to be an accountant?

What do you think you’ll be doing in your first year?

Are you aware of the structure and content of the ACA? (these two questions can be linked)

Why KPMG?

Why Tax?

If a member of your team disagrees with you, how did you deal with it?

If your tasks are a daily routine, how do you stay motivated?

Describe a current issue in the business world

Can you give me an example of a company that you believe has the potential to grow /company that will develop? What problems might they face? How would you solve these problems?

Can you give me an example of a company that has grown in the past few years? What should they do next?

What problems are the professional service firms facing today?

What areas of business should KPMG look to expand into?

How would your colleagues describe your personal style to working in a team?

When have you made a really positive contribution to to help a team work well together?

When have you supported a member of your team?

What have you found difficult about working in a team?

what aspects of the job do you expect to find difficult?

What have you done to develop your business interest?

How could you sell an idea or a concept?

What alternative options are you considering? (this means where else are you applying and why KPMG?)

Describe a situation where you had to work under pressure

What impact did this have on you?

What motivates you at work?

What is your greastest achievement since leaving school? Not including university?

I prepared about 3/4 of a written A4 page for each answer, as ever in an inteview, you can always pad it out a bit if you feel the need. Hope that helps.

Hi Jewhoo

ive got a kpmg tax interview coming up and was wondering if you could povide me with some answers to the following questions;

Can you give me an example of a company that you believe has the potential to grow /company that will develop? What problems might they face? How would you solve these problems?

Im kind of struggling with this one. Also how come you’ve mentioned AcA don’t kpmg offer icas and cta for tax grads?

Look forward to your reply, Thanx.