Judge Business School

Hello all,

I just wanted to see what people thought of Judge Business School, University of Cambridge, and if anyone had been there and could share their experience?

Many thanks,
Chris.

Haha…yeah, get 40K in debt- then struggle to find work afterwards whilst the banks cut jobs and salaries left and right. Having said that, my girlfriend is doing an MBA in London- and I can’t let her beat me…

So why Oxbridge?

Does it matter where you take an MBA?

Why not Cass, Cranfield or Warwick?

I went to King’s in ’08 and literally half my class stayed on to do a business MBA – now most of them are working as researchers or unemployed cos they were too picky. Your not going to make insane amounts as a first-jobber.

Have you guys applied abiou the scholarship programmes?

I hve a high 2.1 from Warick but I don’t think that’s gonna be enough for a bursary.

Probably not mate!

Have a look at the barclays scheme or another external scheme?

does anyone know if natwest still does their MBA scheme? I cant find any details on it anywhere

I am applying for the said business school at Oxford through Man Group - they will literally fund your entire MBA while you are at Oxford - which I think is better than Judge anyway.

Maybe you guys should look into this and join me!

Yes, it is best to get the funding from a company, that way you have a MBA and a job when you finish.

Though I have heard if you underperform some companies will make you pay back the course fees in full!

Having read your comments, I thought to update you guys on MBA. I have recently completed my MBA from a leading school in the UK (not LBS but better ranked than oxbridge !! ). The MBAs requirement is that you have at least 3 years of experience - My cohorts’ average was 7 years of experience.

MBA is not a golden ticket, as it used to be. You have to know what you really want out of it before taking a plunge. I have good number of years of experience but do not have a job yet (not anything in the pipeline)… but then market is not as buoyant as we had anticipated.

If you have any specific questions, then please feel free to ask and I will try to answer those.

Good luck.

I am joining this conversation late in the game but I wanted to share some perspectives about the Cambridge MBA and how I think people should decide whether an MBA is right for them.

Firstly, you have to be very clear what you want from an MBA. If all you want is an increase in salary, you must ask yourself whether you can obtain the desired increase without an MBA, or to express it differently, why aren’t you getting the salary that you want. You have to be brutally honest with yourself when you think about this question because after reading more than a thousand applications and speaking to several hundred shortlisted candidates, I can safely say that most rejected candidates think erroneously that an MBA is a silver bullet to solve all their career woes. The best candidates are those who understand how an MBA can help them in their personal and professional developmental paths.

Secondly, you have to be very clear about the sacrifices that you will have to make, particularly in terms of the financial resources required for an MBA. It is not cheap and you should seriously plan early on, how you will meet the financial commitments of an MBA.

As for the Cambridge MBA, it is a one-year MBA which is very different from the US MBAs which are 2-years in duration. We cover the same core subjects as a 2-year programme but we have more project work so the pace is much more intense. We take in people with at least three years of work experience (the class average is 6.5 years) as there is an emphasis on learning from one another within the classroom. Many of our students are also attracted to the one-year programme because they feel it is more cost-effective compared to the two-year model.

Stepping away from the hard facts of the programme, the distinctive features of the Cambridge MBA are that it is very diverse (more than 90% of our students are non-UK nationals) and there is a great emphasis on collaborative leadership, which we feel will be a vital skill in the modern inter-connected global economy. In terms of where our graduates go, this year McKinsey was the top recruiter (so far) and a good group of people are starting their own companies.

I will be happy to answer any questions that you might have. I also share my thoughts about the MBA market on my blog www.thecambridgembaadmissions.com

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
University of Cambridge Judge Business School

I am writing in response the the previous post as I hold an MBA from NY University. I was offered a place as both Cranfield and at Judge but felt that the opportunity to study abroad would broaden my horizons.
In note from the previous post ‘more than 90% of our students are non-UK nationals’ and that is exactly why MBA’s are a strength. You need to have a few years business experience behind you before you enter the field off study and then you can bring that experience to bear in a mutli-cultural society of students. I left NY and was immediately posted to Moscow (yes I speak Russian) and for me that was a great move. There was no culture shock as I had mixed with Russians amongst many others in NY and I understood the way they thought. The MBA (incidentally I focused on International management) was great for my three years in Russia, and then two years in Kazakhstan. Now I ma back in the UK but am getting itchy feet. What I would say is this. Look for not only a good university or business school, but also look for cultural diversity. You will appreciate the different business cultures and if you are lucky you may find yourself a wife as I did.

1 Like