JP Morgan Technology Internship

First of all I would to thank all the contributors to this forum; you provide wonderful & useful information. By sharing your experiences, you give a hand to other applicants.

Given the above, I am going to share my experience:
*I made my online application in mid November 09; after JPM had visited our Uni.
*2 days later, I was invited to do the numerical test.
*A few days later, I got an email informing that I passed the numerical test and shall be contacted for further interviews.

In the 2nd week of December, I received an email inviting me to an AC. After clearing the confusion (they had invited me to London but had applied to Glasgow and there was a problem with booking appointment slots); I finally had my AC on 13/01/10.

This is how the AC went:
*Presentation; the case study consisted of about 20 emails describing a Tech problem encountered by various depts. I had to indentify the task, provide a solution and suggest other possible solutions (with their pros & cons). This had to be done in 45 minutes. Thereafter there was a 10 minutes presentation to a Business Manager, followed by a 10 minutes Q&A with the manager. For this task, they want to see: analytical, organisation & communication skills.
*Group work/discussion. We were given 3 possible solutions to the case study seen before. Candidates had 15 minutes to study the case study individually. Afterwards we had 35 minutes to discuss & agree on one recommendation and produce a Gantt chart for our solution. Here, they want to see: leadership abilities, negotiating skills…
*2 * 30 minutes competency-based interviews; questions about: leadership, overcoming challenges, past mistakes & lessons learnt, JPM’s competitors, motivation for JPM, motivation for Tech division…

I enjoyed the whole experience; JPM people are very professional and equally friendly. HR called me the following day to make me an offer.

I hope other applicants will find this info useful

Blondeamon,

I’m not going to reveal JPM’s salary structure because I think it’s not fair to mention it as the company itself doesnt do it;besides I would be breaching the terms of my contract -you never know who reads these forums! Having said that,you can get general info (salaries,reviews…) from the likes of e-financialcareers.com,glassdoor.com

Hope all goes well for you!

Jayed

Hey Jayed

Firstly congratulations on your offer, where are you based?

Secondly Thank you for the detailed information provided here, it really helps candidates like me prepare for my AC coming in a few days.

May I please ask you to provide me with a little more information on the Tech case study and kind of problems the offices were having? do we need to bring a calculator and consider financial implications? and finally the group discussion usually includes many people debating a final decision, what was your best approach?

many many thanks again

Hey Jayed

Firstly congratulations on your offer, where are you based?

Secondly Thank you for the detailed information provided here, it really helps candidates like me prepare for my AC coming in a few days.

May I please ask you to provide me with a little more information on the Tech case study and kind of problems the offices were having? do we need to bring a calculator and consider financial implications? and finally the group discussion usually includes many people debating a final decision, what was your best approach?

many many thanks again

Hi OS529,

My best bet would be to follow Jayed’s post. It has helped me alot when i was taking my AD in March. However, there is one individual case study where you get about 10-15 emails and charts (workflow,etc). You have to assess and identify possible problems, and suggest one MAIN solution and two alternate solutions(with their pros and cons).

I think they decide later on whether we need to re-do the reasoning tests there, as when we got there, they told us that they would not be assessing our reasoning skills again. So, yes, you should take your calculator and be prepared, just in case.

As we were only 5 candidates for that session, I had imagined at least ten or so. That was a relief. But the good thing about JPM is that, and this is what the nice lady told us before the group work began, that if all five of you are good for the position we would hire you all and vice versa. So that eradicates the idea of fighting within the candidates to acquire the place however, having said that, you have to be very well prepared and focused. The group work was about the first individual case study that we had got, they gave us 3 possible solutions and we had to discuss and suggest the best solution (functionality and cost wise), and produce a GANTT chart. and that was it.

A couple of days later, they called.

Good luck for your AD.
Be Calm, Be Prepared and Dont Exaggerate.

ps. Jayed’s post has helped me very much, make sure you follow it.

Over and Out.

Oh, and I forgot. there are 2 30 minutes competency interviews after the group work. Make sure you go through your application before hand.

Hi all, I have a few questions I hope any of you can answer for me. Basically, I am just about to finish my first year at Uni and want to apply for a technology internship at
JP Morgan for next summer,

1). is there any A Level UCAS point requirements?
2). does software development work experience help at all?

I got ABDD in A levels but have spent a gap year working for a small software company in the midlands doing java, C++ etc. Do you think it is worth me applying,

thanks in advance for your kind help.

Hi Shazkumar

Thanks good to hear you are planning to apply to JPM.

Personally, I do not have any A’Levels but have O’Levels, BSc. and MSc. I think either O’Levels or A’Levels will do coupled with your degree. Looking at your application though, I think you should be fine with the academic requirements. Please keep in mind that you must achieve/predict at least 2:1 or 1 in your degree.

Any experience at an IT Level helps. It would give your application an extra support. and yeah, you should definetly look to apply. Just make sure you prepare and practice the Apptitude Tests (Numerical and Verbal Reasoning) from now to get a hang of it.

Any questions please ask.

username 84, I appreciate your reply.

Sorry to be of a pain, but do you actually now work for JP Morgan technology division full time, as a summer intern (previously summer intern?)

I just wanted to know this as I wanted to know if it would be possible for you to find out from contacting recruitment whether my situation would be worth applying,

Do JP Morgan only take summer interns with AAA at A levels? or do they take any situations?

Thanks.