Jones Day

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this firm?

I’ve read most of what there is to read on the internet, but was hoping for some personal experiences.

They certainly have an unconventional - but interesting! - training contract…

No personal experience, but I have heard reports. It’s a top American firm where you will be worked very very hard. Expect very long hours and highly competitive people. However, the pay will be fantastic, as will the opportunities to travel, etc.

What’s unconventional about the TC?

I interviewed at Jones Day last year (2008). There were two separate rounds of interviews - both were the conventional interview set up with two partners.

As I was not able to participate in a vacation scheme (as I was working full time and could not get the time off) I also did a 2-day placement and was appointed a junior mentor (a trainee) and a senior mentor (someone who had worked at the firm for 7 years). I did work for both of my mentors during the two days, as well as having general discussions with them about law/ Jones Day etc.

First Interview:

Two partners - tough questions:

• Why commercial law?
  • Justify assertions made in my covering letter.
  • Why Jones Day?
  • What other careers have you considered?
  • What would you do if you didn’t get a Training Contract?
  • What motivates you?
  • Why London/City firms?
  • What is your proudest achievement?
  • Why not the bar?
  • How would your friends describe you?
  • Is there anything you’ve left off your CV?

The interviewers were trying to find out about my personality and motivations for the firm and the law at the interview. The partners were friendly although slightly challenging but not aggressive.

Second Interview:

Two partners - tough questions.
In the interviews, they asked relatively general questions about why I wanted to get into law and why I had applied to Jones Day. Given that I had worked for charities for 3 years after finishing my undergraduate and Masters degrees, they were especially keen to find out why I wanted to switch sectors/ careers and they challenged me quite a bit on this point. In relation to this they also asked if I would have a problem working for unethical clients like large pharmaceuticals etc.

They also asked me to give them examples of an idea that I had that was successful and how I had turned my idea into reality.

In both interviews they also asked some random questions like what I liked doing on Sunday mornings, what newspapers I liked to read, etc.

In both interviews, one of the partners was kind of the good cop and one was kind of the bad cop; however, all of them were relatively aggressive (in a friendly way), especially re. Trying to figure out why I was interested in changing careers and leaving the charity sector.

Just Wondering anyone can give me tips for a covering letter at Jones Day?