Interview Question: Please explain how your experiences and skills make you suitable for this post

Hello. I am really confused with one interview question.

The question is:

“Please explain how your experiences and skills make you suitable for this post”.

Can you give me an example of how I might answer this?

This basically means ‘why are you right for this job’. They want you to tell them what it is about you rather than others that makes you the right person. What are you good at that will be an advantage in this job. What have you done in the past that makes you a good choice.

I would take a look at the main duties and responsibilities of the role and the skills required, go through these one by one, providing examples of how you have the required attributes.

For example, if the job description says you need problem solving skills, you would provide examples of when you have had a problem to solve, what you did and the outcome.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

The employer is seeking to establish how transferable your skills are as well as your level of confidence/maturity in identifying those particular skills. You need to tie-in any experiences/projects/tasks to the question asked. A good way to do this is to view the employer’s core values/vision which typically translate to competencies. Once you have established the competencies, then consider how your past experiences connect with those. If teamworking is a key component of the company’s culture, then you ought to be able to call upon situations where you have worked effectively in a team (projects/sports/work experience, etc).
Good luck!