interview question help

hey! i’m preparing for a telephone interview and one of the questions i may be asked is “tell me about a time you made a mistake”. now i’ve made lots of mistakes in my life i’m sure, but i can’t think of any good examples apart from silly things like putting oregano in pasta sauce instead of basil kinda thing…please help!!!

noob, if you can’t think of any mistake other than "putting oregano in pasta sauce instead of basil ", you are in trouble.
Think strategically. You, as any of us, have probably done ton of things where you (afterwards) thought you could have done them differently/better. For example, I sometimes regret that I didn’t go to a top ranked school rather than taking a scholarship at a lower ranked school.
These kind of questions are asked to see whether you can reflect on your mistakes.

botirvoy

Hmm…it sounds like one of those irritating questions employers use to confuse candidates. It’s a lot like the “What’s your biggest weakness” question people always get.

Have a look at [[common interview questions]] and scroll down to the Strengths and Weaknesses section - this shoudl give you an idea of how to tackle this question.

You really want to discuss a smallish mistake you made that isn’t really too bad, but then go on to talk about how you rectified the situation after you made the mistake - focusing on your confidence in a crisis or ability to take control in difficult situations…

I’d use an example like:
*I ordered too much pizza dough when I was working as a manager in a restaurant.
*I dealt with this by slashing pizza prices and creating various pizza deals to increase trade and sell the excess dough.
*The results were better than expected - resulting in more trade, increased profits and more customers.

Botirvoy - I’d watch out with that example - “I sometimes regret that I didn’t go to a top ranked school rather than taking a scholarship at a lower ranked school” - I once used this in an interview and was rejected because of it. My interviewer asked me why I said I regreted not going to Oxbridge and I said it would have opened more doors job wise. He asked me why I’d want to rely on the University I’d been too for getting jobs, rather than achievements and success. Didn’t get an offer!