IMS Research

IMS Research

Hi Guys,

I have an assessment day with IMS Research for a Market Analyst position - comprising of an interview, written exercise and role play…

any ideas on the content of said activities?

Any help would be much appreciated,

Cheers,

hey,

im guessing you had the interview and assessment centre? how was it? i have one coming up for a similar position.

im guessing you had yours already? can you share any information please?

cheers.

Hi Guys,

I also have to attend an interview/assessment centre for a Market Analyst Position. Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect? There must be someone out there?? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee! Im so nervous!!!

Katie x

Hi Guys,

I also have to attend an interview/assessment centre for a Market Analyst Position. Can anyone give me any advice on what to expect? There must be someone out there?? Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeee! Im so nervous!!!

Katie x

Hey,

Yea had it a couple of months back lol! Didn’t get it but it was good experience in the end.

The format is basically this:

An initial interview (more of an informal chat though, really) with a couple of the senior guys in the interview room (you may have spoken to one already on the phone) to go over your CV, ask about your degree, your dissertation, what you think you might change about it if you did it again… etc its quite straightforward and they’re very friendly.

I was then asked how I keep myself informed with current events and news items (decent publications like The Times or The Economist for e.g) and then asked to give an example of a news publication thats recently caught my eye…

They then asked a completely hypothetical question, probably to test your commercial awareness I’d imagine, which was: “If you could estimate, how many internet users would you say there are in China?” There’s no right or wrong answer, obviously, but its just testing your awareness. They might use different examples with you, but don’t worry, they’re really nice about it!

Oh one final thing, they give you a hypothetical research topic, and they want to know how you’d go about researching info for it, i.e. “how would you go about finding out how many mobile phones were sold in the UK last year?” Hmmm…

Thats the interview part which lasted about 45mins - 1hour.

Then you have a few tests, the first is a grammer test - where you’re given a paragraph and you have to highlight bad spelling, re-arrange sentences if they dont look right etc. Its pretty easy.

Then you have a couple of pages of research topics, think I had about 7 or 8 in total, and you have to select ONE and write a couple of pages of A4 on it. There was one on the growing smartphone market, another on why environmental issues are important or something, and another on in-car technology (WiFi, bluetooth). Can’t remember any others. Apologies.

Finally, you have to do a test where you pretend you’re doing a real live consult with a client, and you need to gather as much info. from the client (one of the interviewers posing as a client) on a particular piece of research they give you, then present your findings at the end. This is where I may have flunked it.

Thats really it.

But really, dont worry about it, I’m sure you’ll be fine. As I said they are pleasent to speak to.

Let me know how you get on. Cheers

Thank you kingjulien07 for your reply.

Is it possible you can explan on the last task that you did - The one where you pretend you’re doing a real live consult.

It was a business forecasting task where you had to develop sales stats for upcoming years of a particular product, based on the conversations you have during the live consult. Then you have to present your findings on a projector…

Best of luck

Thank you for your reply.

What did they sayin your feedback?