IBM Business Consulting Application

IBM

Hi,

I am just about to complete an application for the IBM consulting graduate role. I don’t know whether i should apply for strategy consulting or business strategy consulting. The business strategy one asks for a numerate background whilst i studied sociology as my degree. However I am on an Accountancy aca graduate scheme which is definately very numerate! Can anyone advise?

Also, I am already on a graduate scheme for accountancy. I’ve been through all the rounds and jumped through all the hoops but i find it all extremely dull. Mainly due to the fact that I’m placed in audit, which is basically just a whole lot of reviewing things other people have done before. Do you think it’s a good idea to apply again for a different type of graduate scheme ie. consulting? Will it work to my favour, shows i have industry experience? Or will they think i’m a bit weird for wanting to change.

Any comments or opinion very welcome!!!

thanks

Hi,

Just to put it in perspective - Business Strategy is most likely to point to Business Analytics and Optimisation - IBM’s new darling service line.

The numeracy is required as there will be a lot of data analysis, but if you’re quick thinking and logical in your approach, this shouldn’t be a problem.

Applying for Strategy Consulting could place you in pretttttyyyyy much any role. I am currently working with a “Organisational Startegy” grad and we are both on an IT implementation project.

Basically, what I’m trying to say is that unless you end up in BAO, for the 1st 2 years you will, most likely, be randomly shunted about.

Does that make sense?

Oh and, I would expect that IBM will not see you wanting a change of course as “weird” - they will just have a concern about you doing the same to them. So be prepared for questions about this.

Hi,

I’m soon to be going for an interview in strategy - a graduate role. Is there anything you think I should concentrate on? Its the final stage for ibm, the matching interview, I would be grateful for any advice, hints or tips :slight_smile: