HSBC Retail Banking and Wealth Management Internship and Graduate Job Offer - Ask Me Anything

Thought I would offer my help to anyone who is applying for this - I was offered a place on the 2015 Summer Internship, completed it, and received an offer for a place on the Graduate Scheme for August 2016, so if anyone has any questions about the application process or the internship, feel free to ask me.

Hi, I applied the Commercial Banking graduate scheme 2016 and would like to know more about assessment centre? i have passed the interview but they haven’t booked me into final stage yet. Thanks indeed

I can tell you about my assessment centre; I don’t know exactly how the commercial banking assessment centre differs from retail banking but hopefully it will be of some use.

The day is split into four tasks.

1 - We had to read a report about a bank that had some problems (poor feedback from customers, low motivation from staff), as well as some strengths, the history behind the bank and where it was located. I should add that it’s a made up bank. You then have to write a summary detailing what you would recommend to improve the branch based on what you have read. It’s very time pressured and I didn’t finish mine. Don’t underestimate the importance of the task - my feedback for this was that it was fantastic (so it doesn’t always matter if you don’t finish providing your work is good), I know someone else who didn’t pass because their feedback was poor.
2 - You then have a group exercise with 3 other candidates. It is based on the same report and you discuss and come up with recommendations for the bank using a specific amount of money and how much each recommendation/change to the bank will cost. The task is made more complicated by information being presented to you during the task for your to consider.
3 - A role play exercise where you are decide whether or not to grant someone a loan. You are given information about a customer (their project idea, finances, current climate/factors affecting their project and what they require a loan for for), and you have to weigh up your decision based on this information and the information you gain from talking to the “customer” (who is actually an assessor) during the role play. You are assessed a lot on how you talk to the customer and how personable you are.
4 - A final interview. You are asked about your role play, your performance in the other tasks, and how you thought you did/could have improved. It is mainly just this (no motivational questions), probing you more about your decisions in the role play, where you missed out or could have done better etc.

I can tell you about my assessment centre; I don’t know exactly how the commercial banking assessment centre differs from retail banking but hopefully it will be of some use.

The day is split into four tasks.

1 - We had to read a report about a bank that had some problems (poor feedback from customers, low motivation from staff), as well as some strengths, the history behind the bank and where it was located. I should add that it’s a made up bank. You then have to write a summary detailing what you would recommend to improve the branch based on what you have read. It’s very time pressured and I didn’t finish mine. Don’t underestimate the importance of the task - my feedback for this was that it was fantastic (so it doesn’t always matter if you don’t finish providing your work is good), I know someone else who didn’t pass because their feedback was poor.
2 - You then have a group exercise with 3 other candidates. It is based on the same report and you discuss and come up with recommendations for the bank using a specific amount of money and how much each recommendation/change to the bank will cost. The task is made more complicated by information being presented to you during the task for your to consider.
3 - A role play exercise where you are decide whether or not to grant someone a loan. You are given information about a customer (their project idea, finances, current climate/factors affecting their project and what they require a loan for for), and you have to weigh up your decision based on this information and the information you gain from talking to the “customer” (who is actually an assessor) during the role play. You are assessed a lot on how you talk to the customer and how personable you are.
4 - A final interview. You are asked about your role play, your performance in the other tasks, and how you thought you did/could have improved. It is mainly just this (no motivational questions), probing you more about your decisions in the role play, where you missed out or could have done better etc.

Thx !!! For writing this lot :slight_smile:

Hello, I am undecided whether I should apply for commercial banking or retail banking. Would you mind sharing your experience with HSBC during your internship and what did you do on a daily basis? Thank you!!

Hello, do you mind sharing your experience in the phone interview? Thanks!

So the internship is split into two, four-week placements. You spend four weeks in head office (which can be the Canary Wharf office, or head office for M&S Bank, First Direct), and four weeks in a branch. I did head office then branch, some people I know did the other way round. What you actually do in head office varies from person to person as they split you up across RBWM, but I was in CVM (Customer Value Management), and did a range of stuff such as working on their Premier Accounts, where I wrote a branch manual with a graduate (basically instructions that go out to all branches across UK that tell them how to act in certain situations, but complex and quite a lot of new language to get to grips with), work on student accounts (looking at them and how they could be improved), competitor analysis, a lot of networking and talking to other people to see what they were doing. It’s basically four weeks of introductory work into head office to give you a taste of what the graduate scheme would be like. I then spent four weeks in branch which is centred around a number of objectives. I had a project on how to improve customer satisfaction in the branch I was in, as well as a number of objectives including learning (by observation) how to open accounts, how to talk to customers, how HSBC determines who gets loans, lots of behind the scenes work and observation into how the branch runs. I also got to go up to the Regional Office, and shadow the Deputy Area Director for a day to see what they get up to. If you have an interest in retail banking, it’s a fantastic scheme because it gives you a great introduction to it and a core understanding of what goes on behind the scenes.

I’ll try my best - the interview was back in February time so it’s a while ago! It’s competency based (“values based” they call it, so they’re looking for you to demonstrate their values), the usual questions like ‘tell me about a time you delivered good customer service’, then ‘why HSBC’, ‘why this scheme’. Make sure you research, it sounds obvious but my interviewer picked up on the fact that I knew HBSC did a lot of work for sustainability and charities, but mentioned that I could have known some more details of the projects like their names. Also, KNOW THE HSBC VALUES! Dependable, open, and connected. http://www.hsbc.com/citizenship/our-values - they will ask you on them!

Thank you, this is really helpful!

hello Alex. I would like to know more about (for retail banking and wealth management) the online assessment test as well as assessment centre procedures. thank you

Hi Alex,

I just found out I passed the telephone interview successfully, but they indicated that a place at the AC is still not guaranteed. Were you in the same situation? How long does it take for them to invite you if you are successful? Many thanks!

Hi Alex, could you give any info on the assessment centre?

Hi Alex. Thanks so much for your help on here! I wanted to know what your starting salary would be? Was thinking of making the jump from consultancy but wanted to know before I went too far along the process.

Hi! I have my AC lined up for April 1st for the RBWM Graduate program for HSBC. Please can you tell if there were any numerical tests on the day? I had a logical reasoning test online and post which I was invited for the Telephone interview. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi! I have my AC lined up for April 1st for the RBWM Graduate program for HSBC. Please can you tell if there were any numerical tests on the day? I had a logical reasoning test online and post which I was invited for the Telephone interview. Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi I have an assessment centre scheduled for this programme, Please can you remember how it was structured, what I need to prepare for an any last minutes advice please.
Thank you very much in advance

Hey,
Anyone who has completed the AC, can you please guide us through the process and how the day will be like. What the “do’s” and " don’ts" are?

Hey,
I believe you would have completed your AC by now. Would it be possible if I could discuss this with you please?

HI,
Thank you so much for sharing your hsbc ac experiece.
As for role play, do you have any advice about the criteria whether we should give the loan to clients and how to build relationships with clients and how to talk to clients professionally? You mentioned personally, does it means friendly and approachable?
As for report writing, how can i prepare for putting up recommendations for the company in this material?

As for interview part, do you remember what questions you are asked?
In terms of group discussion part,how we calculate the budget and cost for each solution?
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Thank you so much for your help.
Kind regards,
Wanzi