HSBC Graduate Global Markets Closed!

HSBC

I was due to have an interview today with HSBC global markets and then this morning I recieved an email to say congratulations look forward to the interview. Then 10 mins later I recieved an email to say my application was unsuccessful?? I rang immeadiatly to be told that HSBC global markets had a meeting this morning and decided that they would not hire anymore people and that the programme was officially closed.

I am so upset HSBC was one of the banks I was really hoping to join, I feel so betrayed and cannot believe that I didn’t even get the opportunity to be interviewed. Did anyone else experience this today??

You had an interview scheduled for today and they didn’t even call you to tell you it had been cancelled? That’s really bad show on their part. Sorry Chloe.

You had an interview scheduled for today and they didn’t even call you to tell you it had been cancelled? That’s really bad show on their part. Sorry Chloe.

Just had my telephone interview now for global markets!! If what your saying is correct, then my phone interrview was a waste of time!!

Chloe were u applying for a graduate program or a summer internship?

hey, just been told I passed the telephone interview which I took hour ago and have been successful. But im not through to the assessment stage yet.

Thank you for attending the recent first interview with us. We are delighted to confirm that you have been successful.
Due to the high volume of quality applications we will be conducting a final review of all successful candidates prior to the next stage of the selection process which is the Assessment Centre. The Assessment Centres will be running in November and December and we will advise you as soon as
possible with further details.

We thank you in advance for your patience in this matter and your continued interest in HSBC

Anyone else get this message?

a lot of people got the same message. i think they are still undecided on how to approach recruitment this year!

I am applying for a graduate position and I was delighted when I was told I had a telephone interview scheduled for today. I cannot believe that they would not even interview me, that they decided with 3 hours to go before my interview, that they were going to close that graduate programme!! i feel so upset, i havent applied to many banks (as not many have been taking applications) - i feel let down, has no-one else had this?

Only me then?

I also got the same message that I passed and I should look forward to a telephone interview only to get a mail saying they have filled up all the vacancies for the year.

Chloe when did you make the original application? I only ask because I waited for about nine weeks before taking the telephone interview!!

I’m really sorry to hear what happened to you, im sure you’ll have luck else where!

I submitted my application on the 10th September, I still cannot believe it

I submitted my application on the 10th September, I still cannot believe it

very weird!!

Chloe, just out of curiosity, which graduate programme did you apply to? I’m asking because, to be honest, I’m not surprised this has happened. I know for a fact, that HSBC has fired lots of people who joined in 2008 graduate programme, and almost all in fixed income. A few of my friends who joined were fired, and so, I wasnt really expecting them to go overboard with hiring this year. Tough luck with HSBC. I’m sure you’ll get through somewhere else.

That interesting. Why the hell were they fired for, is does’nt make sense to employ graduates this year then?

That’s interesting. Why the hell were they fired, is doesn’t make sense to employ graduates this year then, right?

i got the same message about “you 've successfully passed the interview”.
may i ask which office are you applying for? i am currently in Beijing , and applying for hong kong.

Ahh man sorry to hear that Chloe. I had a telephone interview with HSBC and really got the impression i had passed from the person interviewing me. At first they were like a robot, were not feeding on from my answers or drawing information out of me. absolutely nothing, to be honest it wasnt a particularly pleasant interview. None the less at the end the person on the phone gave me the impression i had passed. Only to receive an email saying i hadnt. This was all the same week you guys experienced this crap. I’m beginning to think maybe it was something to do with a freeze on hiring… maybe??

Often the people doing the telephone interviews are external contractors who then pass the info on to the recruitment teams. They are not allowed to deviate from the script nor encourage candidates. I suspect the recruitment team haven’t told their contractors that they have stopped recruiting!