I am not sure specifically about HSBC this year, but motivational type questions are designed to confirm that you are goal oriented, have clear career direction, that your personal values align with those of organisation, your interests align with role, you are self aware and self motivated.
Questions could include:
- What are the most important things to you in a job? What are you looking for in your career? Why did you choose to interview with us? What motivates you? What excites you?
- Why are you interested in banking? Why have you chosen to work in investment banking / global markets/ trading rather than management consulting?
- What in your life are you most passionate about and why?
- What is your greatest achievement? How did it make you feel?
- Describe your most rewarding experience.
- What aspects of your last job were most frustrating? Why?
- Which of your previous jobs have you found most interesting? Why?
- What criteria are you using to evaluate employers?
- What is your timetable for achieving your current career goals?
- Give me an example of a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty. Why did you do this?
Hope this helps, good luck