HP (Hewlett Packard) Assessment Centre/Day

HP

Hi guys

Im new to the forums.

I recently had a telephone interview with Hewlett Packard regarding their Graduate Programme which went well and I have been asked to attend their Assessment day (no date yet).

My profile might be slightly different than the average applicant as I have already been working in IT for about 5 years and am currently completing a masters degree.

I have never been to an assessment centre before and would just like to hear any personal experiences/tips/ comments etc, that people may have. (I have checked out the HP interview page on this site)

Also, they said that since they now own EDS they will be putting my application forward for EDS’s graduate programme aswell

JD

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please share the questions that you were asked during your telephone interview?

The telephone interview kind of went in 3 parts:

The first was about HP: What are the objectives of HP, how do they provide value to their customers, who are their competitors. Also I can vaguely remember a question such as “What does the phrase “customer relationship” mean to you”? I believe there was also a question about how the current economic situation may affect HP.

The second was “Take me through your CV”

And the third was competency based questions which were very close to the ones listed on this site such as “Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision and the outcome”, “Tell me about a time when a project you were working on went wrong and what did you do?”, “Tell me about a time you went the extra mile to provide for a customer” (or something to that affect).

There were no technical questions, the interview lasted approximately 50 mins.

To prepare for it I read up on HP from their website and current internet articles- for example I recall one article written by a high ranking HP exec that said they differentiate themselves from IBM by moving toward virtual technology solutions which minimize IT hardware whereas IBM focus on mainframe technologies? - came in handy for the competitor question.

I rehearsed how I would speak about my CV, had a copy to hand and basically explained why I did XYZ, but tailored my explanations for IT Consultancy (which is the area of HP Im trying to get into). For example I spoke about how my career progressed from being purely technical to working with cross functional teams etc, how I have a mix of technical and business skills.

I also went to the competency section of this website and wrote out answers for each question on each competency (teamwork, communications, decision making etc) on sperate pieces of paper then spread them all out on a table in front of me while I was on the phone so I could reference them quickly. I tried to mix up the responses- for example my answer to the project question was about a professional project, whereas my answer to the “desion making” question was personal.

I tended to take the lead in the interview for example when the interviewer asked me about HP’s competitors I didnt wait to be asked about how HP differentiate themselves instead I listed the competitors in each business function (consulting, harware, printers etc) and then went straight into comparing HP to them. For competency questions I followed the advice here about what info they were really looking for - for example the decision making question I made sure to say that I conducted research, spoke to all the people it could possibly effect, weighed up the pro’s/cons (cost/benefit), made a decision and then commited myself to it (The decsion was to go back to full time education to do my masters which is still ongoing so I couldnt really comment on the outcome but I did say that regardless of what may happen I knew that at the time I made it it was right for me.

The interviewer was happy and told me at the end that it went very well, I got an email a few days later saying it was successful.

I am worried about the assessment day though as Ive never been to one before, any tips?

JDLK,

thanks for your detailed answer. Good luck with your A/C

Hi there!
I passed the phone interview with HP as well, and I’m waiting for some info about the assessment centre…
I have never been to one, so I’m trying to prepare and read about it online. The problem is that I’m not coming from any IT sector, so I wonder if my interview is going to be as technical as the others’…?
Are you going to be attending the assessment centre in Bracknell?
Also, what program did you apply for? Was it the Graduate Development Scheme?
I look forward to be hearing from you!

Hi there!
I passed the phone interview with HP as well, and I’m waiting for some info about the assessment centre…
I have never been to one, so I’m trying to prepare and read about it online. The problem is that I’m not coming from any IT sector, so I wonder if my interview is going to be as technical as the others’…?
Are you going to be attending the assessment centre in Bracknell?
Also, what program did you apply for? Was it the Graduate Development Scheme?
I look forward to be hearing from you!

Hey iv emailed them about this having reached the AC but have not heard anything, i applied for IT solutions consulting (im assuming this equals non technical consultancy as there is nothing abt it on the website, tho i have applied for the grad development programme, does anyone know anything abt this???). Also i dont have a technical background having studied economics, but rather a interest in technology.

JDLK: thts almost how i prepared as well, the first part of the interview was challenging but i managed to blag it and probably didnt do as much research as you did! tbh my interview was so long ago now i cant even remember anything abt HP, will have to research once i know when the interview is.

Also they say they have positions in london, is this true?

I applied for the HP Graduate Development Programme. They havent told me where the A/C is yet- still waiting to hear back from them- though they did send me an email saying they are experiencing some delays because they are also assessing EDS positions that may be suitable for HP grad candidates.

The phone interview was fairly in depth so I assume they wouldnt put you forward if the lack of a technical background was an issue so I wouldnt worry about it.

Not sure how technical the A/C will be to be honest so I dont want to advise you one way or the other, I suppose it wouldnt harm to bone up on a few current IT trends (this will prove you have an interest in IT).

Im not sure where the positions are located but I assume travel is required especially in the consulting division as a large portion of consultancy is delivered on client sites (dont quote me on that though)

If I hear anything I’ll let you know, please post if you hear anything also.

Best of luck with it!

has anyone got anymore details on the assessment center? it would be greatly appreciated!

No but i also got through the interview, all marketing placements have been withdrawn, so there is going to be a lot less places. I think they have let too many people through and are trying to reassses who is actually going to a centre. I think it is down to the economic climate i tryed asking my interviewer about the centres and i got no answers.

I hope we will get a shot though!

Hi,

So does it mean you just got a second phone interview? Or you had only one?
And did the interviewer tell you at least when we can expect the assessment centre?

Thx

No i had one phone interview but she gave it away by accident that i had got through and so i asked when the assesment centre would be and where. She could not answer and i got and email today explaining that coz of the merger and the fact that funding has been pulled for some one the placements they may be recontacting people who have got through and tell them they are not getting through. It said bear with them and they will try to be in touch ASAP.

i get the feeling that it’s all a bit unorganised and unstable right now.

ahhh that makes sense!

I still havent heard anything from them dispite having got through and emailing them before xmas which they ignored and the first ac was supposed to be end of Jan and as i applied so earlier i would have thought theyd have been in touch sooner. I didnt apply for marketing but their lack of response etc makes me feel they wont be inviting many ppl.

Hi,

Anyone got any information on HP A/C,

What to expect and when what will be involved on the day?
How to prepare for it?
When is it held?

Thanks.

has anyone heard from HP yet about when their A/C day is?

Not yet

Hi, just got an email today 13.2.08 saying that due to the HP EDS merger they will be required ‘significantly’ less graduate intakes this year. Not looking too good lol. But they say at this stage theyre NOT withdrawing any1s application. This credit crunch is screwing me from all angles!

Have any of you guys got the same email?

Hey!

I got an email and phone call yesterday from HP. Basically the situation is exactly what deebo452 has described but you are still currently being reassessed for the A/C due to the EDS acquistion. So if you have only recieved one email it means that you are not going through to the A/C this year and you can choose to withdraw your application now instead of waiting around. However, if you recieved a second email and a phone call straight after- you will be going through to the next round shortly with a confirmed date.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE- it’s going to be quite tough from now on!!

I only got the one email as above, however if you are definately not going through why send an email saying they will be in touch soon to say yes/no?

yeap, i got the email too. i guess it’s just a waiting game. im personally not banking on it