How to get a training contract in a City law firm

Simple. Grow up in an environment where academic excellence and a career in the law is nurtured form an early age and one in which family money readily pays for a private school education and private tuition if necessary, gap years, postgraduate education and fairly decent London accommodation. If you don’t have this, then just hope for the best.

I meant to write ‘…nurtured FROM an early age…’. As punishment for this spelling sin, I shall now beat myself about the face and head with a birch branch until the skin is broken.

I don’t think that’s a fair comment soothsayer! I think to get a training contract in a city law firm, you need to be prepared and want it enough to put the effort in to jump through the recruitment hoops.

This comes from an experienced graduate recruiter in the legal field. If you want any help at tackling these hurdles, I should be able to help.

No you couldn’t possibly help me, because if you are the typical City law firm recruiter, you’ll be a sexy elegant woman in your mid-to-late twenties… I wouldn’t be able to listen to you but instead would just get lost in the pools of your eyes while you spoke. Your comment, however, is a good promotion of your business - well done you!

Talking of sexy, has anyone ever noticed how much more attractive the NQs and trainees are in the City firms compared to the pug-fuglies you find in the low end regional firms? Sexing up your appearance (in the appropriately conservative City firm manner of course) will assist the older (mostly male) decision makers to enjoy the occasional trouser twitch as you sashay by leaving a pleasant fragrance, and so make their day go more pleasantly - as a result you are more likely to be hired. Be aware of your personaility too - if you have an individual spirit and are a little non-confirmist, don’t show it, that’s not allowed until you become a partner, retire or die.

Soothsayer, you are entertaining, I’ll give you that! As for sexy and elegant - those are not words usually attributed to a 5 foot tall, pregnant woman but I’ll take the compliment when I can!

As for helping, I believe I could! You are clearly articulate and what I would call a ‘schmooze’. These attributes can be very helpful but only if seen to be genuine. I believe with a bit of coaching, you could sit on the confident side of the confident/arrogant line!

Lisa, congratulations on being with child…but I do think that you are selling yourself short (no pun intended)…pregnant women can be elegant and sexy when they aren’t stuffing themselves with Nutella and gherkin sandwiches and barfing all over the shop.

Yes there is a fine line between confidence and arrogance. I don’t really think about it - as long as I’m alright and I get what I want even if it means other people get hurt along the way, who cares. How much do you charge by the way? I mean, for your services? I mean to say, your coaching services?

What an image!!

The confidence and arrogance divide is a fine line. I’ve crossed it in interviews myself on occasion because by the very nature of an interview you have to sell yourself. There is a simple way around it though - evidence!! As for my training, you can find all the sessions and prices at www.gradia.co.uk but for a two hour interview technique session including the recruiter’s view, advice and techniques, a mock interview and honest feedback, you’re looking at £150. I’d offer a small discount on request if the session were to be conducted over Skype.

I’m studying Economics but looking to get a training contract and got given this newspaper from the careers service the other day. It covers how to go about getting an offer pretty extensively. Just found it online as well, google the ‘Gateway Law newspaper’