How they keep non target schools out

So I just discovered something interesting.

My friend wanted to construct a fake profile at one of the top 10 investment banks in order to practise at his numerical test and I was suppose to help him out a bit. So he created a fake profile and sent the application in. He is in a target school so last week he recieved his email, exactly three minutes after he sent in his application, with an invitation ta take a numerical test.

So now he wanted to create a fake profile in order to get another invitation to take a numerical test to practise on. However this time he put in another school, he just picked it randomly, some uk university that was not very famous.

When he sent in this fake application of a fake person who went to some not very known UK university, he expected to get the same email with the invitation to take a numerical test .

But after three minutes, guess what, no test came to the inbox, waited another 15 minutes no test. Fuck this, he thought, and created another profile but this time he put in Cambridge University. Sent in the application and after 3 minutes, he got an email with an numerical test.

So apparently non target schools don’t seem to get the invitation to take the numerical test, and target schools get the invitation.
We just accidentally discovered this today, maybe everyone knows this, just thought it would be fun to post.

the rich stay rich, the poor stay poor -when ur rich, u send ur children to target unis, so they stay rich - Welcome to this game…

its how the world works… also, there’s enough competition as it is… so I’m not exactly going to complain about more people not being able to apply…

To be honest it makes sense. When there are so many applicants from the top 20 uni’s why even bother looking at the rest. Its an employers market now

Also, the bank probably get charged by SHL per person tested, the bank probably saves money by not sending them out to everyone doing mickey mouse studies in an unknown institution. :wink:

Actually it does not make sense, not everybody is born to work as an investment banker… butI agree that from their point of view its quite effective…

hsbc and rbs do that… the bigger names don’t…

Yes it makes sense. It’s only sensible that they want to automatically sort among the applications, I have never thought that HR reads through 3000 applications for a position. I have wondered how they did it though, and I guess this is the answer.

Actually we found out about this when applying to one of the top 3 American investment banks so it seems that the big names do this kind of selection too. But I don’t know if this applies to all banks.