Help! EY Assessment Centre for Business Risk

WikiJob

Hi guys!

I’ve only found this wikijob thing today and it has such a wealth of information! I went for my Ernst and Young First round interview about a month ago at the London office (I will post up details about that later on in the week) and I have an assessment centre for Business Risk Services this coming Wed the 12th!

Any help would be appreciated for the interview, she mentioned that it might not be a partner and could be a senior manager and to prepare more competencies which I think I’ve already exhausted pretty much after the first round interview! any tips like what questions to expect and what questions to ask later on would be very much appreciated!

Also, during the lunch break, what exactly happens? I’m assuming that it’ll be like after those uni presentations where everyone just mingles around… just asking so that I know what to expect. It’s actually my first ever assessment day so I’m super nervous!

Any tips regarding the written report exercise & the group discussion would be great! Also how different will the interview questions be from an audit interview?

Many thanks guys! I’ll be sure to post up my experience afterwards! Looking forward to the replies!

Hello!

For the interview, feel free to reuse what you said in the first interview - they won’t know what you said!

Make sure you demonstrate an understanding for Business Risk Services, what it does, and what you will be doing in your first year.

For lunch most likely all the candidates will go with a few first year starters to lunch somewhere near the office. It’s an informal opportunity to ask questions of the people already on the grad scheme. It’s not part of the assessment so don’t feel you need to perform, but of course stay professional. Chances are there will be wine floating about, DON’T (do what I did) and drink if you have an interview afterwards (I got the place anyway, so maybe you should!).

For the written report it’s all pretty much common sense, make sure you plan what you are going to write before you write it, stick to the time limit (be careful of it) and there is no spell checker so only use words you are sure of.

Good luck! Let us know what happens!

Hello addagirl,

First of all, welcome to WikiJob! I’m glad you’ve enjoyed using our forums - have you seen the main site too - Interview Questions for PwC, Deloitte, Goldman Sachs, Accenture and more - WikiJob

If you’ve not seen it already you’ll find some information on competency interviews here - Competency based interview - WikiJob which may be useful in your preparation.

At this level of interview you’ll be interviewed by a partner if one is free, but because partners have a pretty heavy schedule (and because clients take priority over graduate interviewees!) senior managers do also take interviews.

Senior managers and partners are top level people, with excellent knowledge or their business and their job. Whoever interviews you will almost certainly be highly intelligent, and informed about a wide amount of information, including current affairs, politics, economics and even art and culture.

The key point to remember is that whoever interviews you will not expect you to know everything. Don’t get flustered like some interviewees and try to impress your interviewer too much. They have been in their industry for a minimum of ten years and probably a lot longer. They may appear imposing and powerful, but they started exactly how you are right now! They want to see you are also informed and intelligent and understand the company and job you are applying for and know about relevant topics, but having some gaps in your knowledge is ok.

Although competency questions will form a large part of this interview (especially if you’ve been told to prepare competencies!) you should also expect more general questions. Your interviewer will want to find out exactly who you are (as well as what you can do) and if you will be a personality match for the company. Expect to talk about hobbies and interests as well as who you are as a person.

For more information on the assessment day at Ernst & Young check here - Ernst & Young Interview Questions - WikiJob

Lunch will be a chance to take a break and repose. Talk to the other graduates, but try to stay away from the ones who are nervous or excessive worriers, these guys will only drag you down! …talk to people who have been to other assessment days and interviews at other companies you are interested in and find out people’s view on other companies. Talk to HR to ask ay questions, and talk to graduate level staff - these guys usually get introduced to interviewees at some point. When you talk to anyone who actually works at E&Y, even during lunch, make sure you talk about the company with excitement and show your enthusiasm. This is an assessment day - you are continuously assessed - be on your best behaviour at all times!

Regarding the group assessment, we have some information available here - Group exercise - WikiJob - I’m afraid I can’t be more specific on this, but perhaps Chris or another member of the forum will be able to elaborate…

Good luck with your application. We certainly would appreciate reading about your experiences after your interviews and assessments! User contributions are the best way to make WikiJob into an even better resource!

Thanks again for your kind words - remember to spread the word about us at your assessment day!

Ed

:slight_smile:

have a look at BDO recruitment process posted by jexxo. good luck! keep us informed.

Thanks so much for the support guys! I’m really hoping that I get this job, it’ll be awesome to work for EY!

I will most definitely post up a thread on my experience afterwards.

Thanks again and wish me luck for tomorrow! :smiley:

Good luck with it again, just out of curiosity, where did you study? bachelor’s or master’s. i am planning to get into a uk uni this year and i am now down to 5 universities. just want to know your opinion as well. what are the targets of the Big4. thanks

has anyone heard back from the EY AC today?

Hi guys,

I got an e-mail from EY and I didn’t get the position. Woe is me. I really thought I had it. :(:frowning: Will post up details of it over the weekend. sigh not in the right frame of mind to do it now.

[QUOTE=addagirl12345;735]Hi guys,

I got an e-mail from EY and I didn’t get the position. Woe is me. I really thought I had it. :(:frowning: Will post up details of it over the weekend. sigh not in the right frame of mind to do it now.[/QUOTE]

What a pity. One of my friends is very smart and intelligent, he seems know everything about assessment day and well prepared, but still failed. Things like this sometimes can be only explained by luck. I have been thinking, when all candidates in assessment day perform reasonable well, how can recuriters make their decision on who to employ? I think it will be ended up with their personal preference rather than your performance on that day. Again, yesterday might be just not your luck day. I am sure you have other opportunities to show yourself, cheers up.

Did you give them a ring and ask for feedback?

hi addagirl,
feel sorry for the result. sure you have other options at the moment.

you mentioned that you will post more about the process. can you please also mention your education background. grades, claesses, courses, level. and all other relevant ones. university as well.

looking forward to hearing from you soon.

Hi ,

I also get an AC in Business risk service.

Business risk service belongs to Audit & Assurance group, but from the descriptions on EY website, I think it is more like Advisory service:confused:

And what are the main services provided by EY? Audit, tax, advisory??

There are so many lines of services mentioned on EY website, audit, tax, business advisory service, transaction advisory services, technology&securities services, fast growth business, and online service. I am so confused about these services. I read the details about each service and can not tell the difference between them.

So how to answer the questions in the case study, like 'what services can EY provide ’ to the given scenario??

Can someone shed some light on this please?

Please help!

Thanks millions:)

The main Ernst & Young services are audit, tax and advisory. Little subsets here and there are not so important - these will only consist of small teams, and most of them you cannot apply to as an unqualified graduate.

With respect to the case study, stick to simple things such as:
[LIST]
[]Audit work
[
]Internal control review to help reduce risk of fraud
[]Advisory on potential takeover targets
[
]Transaction services to assist with a ttakeover/buyout
[]Tax advice to reduce tax exposure
[
]Strategic advice to help improve performance
[/LIST]

The purpose of this question is to show you have an understanding of the services E&Y provides to its clients.

Hope that helps!

hey guys,

sorry I’ve been MIA. After the AC, I was just busy with assignment deadlines and end of term stuff and I’ve been treating myself to holidays abroad for the pat 3 weeks or so. :smiley:

I will get back to uni soon and write up on my AC day experience. so stay tuned!

Hope you guys are all well!

cud u give me an indication of ur 1st round experience?

thankx

The first round interview is compentence based questions. My first interview was quite standard.

Give me an example of teamwork. what was your role? (it is better to reflect your leadership)
what is your biggest difficulities you met either in study or work?
what is your biggest achievement?
what is your biggest setback/mistake?

The interview may also ask some questions regarding your application form, he may be interested in your (part time, volunteer or casual )work, and ask some questions to identify any skills developed during the work.

Then some career motivation questions.
Why EY?
What is your understanding of audit or tax (line of service you applied)?

Prepare some questions to ask the interviewer in the end.

Hope this helps

[QUOTE=chrism2671;670]Hello!

For the interview, feel free to reuse what you said in the first interview - they won’t know what you said!

Make sure you demonstrate an understanding for Business Risk Services, what it does, and what you will be doing in your first year.

For lunch most likely all the candidates will go with a few first year starters to lunch somewhere near the office. It’s an informal opportunity to ask questions of the people already on the grad scheme. It’s not part of the assessment so don’t feel you need to perform, but of course stay professional. Chances are there will be wine floating about, DON’T (do what I did) and drink if you have an interview afterwards (I got the place anyway, so maybe you should!).

For the written report it’s all pretty much common sense, make sure you plan what you are going to write before you write it, stick to the time limit (be careful of it) and there is no spell checker so only use words you are sure of.

Good luck! Let us know what happens![/QUOTE]

hi man, may I ask you something about the EY AC day?
could you explain me a little bit about the processes of the report writing and the group discussion? and is the report about a hotel’s divesture?

[QUOTE=addagirl12345;665]Hi guys!

I’ve only found this wikijob thing today and it has such a wealth of information! I went for my Ernst and Young First round interview about a month ago at the London office (I will post up details about that later on in the week) and I have an assessment centre for Business Risk Services this coming Wed the 12th!

Any help would be appreciated for the interview, she mentioned that it might not be a partner and could be a senior manager and to prepare more competencies which I think I’ve already exhausted pretty much after the first round interview! any tips like what questions to expect and what questions to ask later on would be very much appreciated!

Also, during the lunch break, what exactly happens? I’m assuming that it’ll be like after those uni presentations where everyone just mingles around… just asking so that I know what to expect. It’s actually my first ever assessment day so I’m super nervous!

Any tips regarding the written report exercise & the group discussion would be great! Also how different will the interview questions be from an audit interview?

Many thanks guys! I’ll be sure to post up my experience afterwards! Looking forward to the replies![/QUOTE]

hello there,

just read ur post and knowing that you went to the AC day, and I got one coming in two days as well. so, would you mind to explain me a bit about the report topic you did and the the processes of the report writing and the group discussion?
That will be really helpful since I havent done that before and am feeling nervous about it indeed.

Bill