Has anybody done an E&Y interview?

Hi

My first interview was supposed to be competence based , but it was more of my work experience and job related question. do prepare yourself for the various competency question ( listed above in this forum).

Good luck

Hi, could anyone who has been to their first interview for the audit internship tell me what kind of questions came up? Thank you

^Don’t spam. It’s already on the forums so just take some time to read and don’t be stupid.

Hi can anyone answer this question for me:

Why Ernst & Young and not another Big 4 or a smaller firm?

I have looked through all the forums and I really cannot find a good, unique answer. How do they differ???

pls I have assessment centre with E&Y for Advisory in Consulting on wednesday 8th,dats in 2days. pls i need tips, v anyone done d assessment recently? will I do numerical and verbal test again?
PLS HEEEELP

Hai,
I have an experience. My first round with EY is a written paper test and it is based on the general knowledge and maths. The second round is talking interview that means they gives a topic and we should explain it . that means they gives me a incorrect thing and we should prove it, that is correct. I have a friend he also attend the interview her subject is general topic. Before interview i refer [http://essayacademia.com custom essay writing services] , it may help for more information. After about the 3rd and final step step is they looking our personality and appearance.

audit vs TAS?

Hi everyone,
I have my first interview for audit on Tueday and I’m wondering if anyone can give me a couple of helpful hints about what sort of questions they asked the interviewer? I always worry about this and I would be really grateful if anyone could help me out!
Thanks!

hey coyote, i’ve listed first interview questions on my thread ‘ernst & young - from beginning to end for 2011’ so hopefully that will help you :slight_smile:

Hi Ravi321!
I have applied for advisory role(experienced) as well and had my first round. I have been invited to a second round now. How was your second round of interview? Was it a case study interview or an competency/work related interview? Would really appreciate any inputs from you.

Thanks in advance

For us we didn’t have enough partners to interview us all. However, I was advised by graduate recruitment before the day that the key to this part is convincing the partner that you’re committed to E&Y and really want the job. This meant giving more reasons than simply “size, diversity etc.” which in reality apply to all the Big 4. I was prepared to give an answer about their value of building relationships and how I had seen that through their recruitment process, with regular communication and a face to face interview as opposed to a telephone one. Their partners and directors also have a reputation for being approachable and personable, mention that.

As for the rest of the day, I didn’t actually get through.

I was in the 97th percentile for the tests; they’re not any harder than the ones we did online so you should be fine there.

Equally my written exercise was fine. They liked my good, logical structure and reasoning. I didn’t find it immensely time pressure but if you do find it a problem, I’m sure you can finish with bullet points or something. It’s all about being selective with the information you use.

My first area of concern was the group exercise. Apparently I made valid points, but there were issues with my communication. I appeared too nervy and didn’t maintain enough eye contact enough. My language wasn’t clear and precise enough, so watch out for rambling.

The bigger weakness was my role play with the “intern” over the phone. The majority of mistakes in his report have already been picked out in this exercise and any more you do see will be similar to the ones your manager has found. You’re made to write down plans of what you are going to say to him. It’s a good idea to structure your words, but be careful about following too strictly. I was told that I was a little stubborn in saying what I wanted to say. Don’t start by giving feedback. Start by asking him how he felt it went, trying to unload his feelings on it. Once you’ve given him the constructive feedback, ask him how he feels again before giving him the positive end to the call. Give him plenty of opportunity to speak and voice how he feels; this is the negative feedback I received. Equally though, the report they give you is loaded with poor mistakes and you do have to highlight them at some point.

I hope this all helps.

Just had interview today and all I can say is follow Je2010’s thread on the questions - the majority of them came up and the ones that were different weren’t too different. So practice them and you’ll be fine.

Word of warning: other people here suggest the first interview is all strength based and you aren’t asked any commercial awareness questions. NOT TRUE.
At least for me.
There was a whole section on EY, what Audit is, Why audit, what I think I’ll do in my first year, EY clients etc. etc.
Luckily I like to go in with extra preparation so I had that all down, but please don’t go in thinking it will be all strength based because if it is not you will be left in the cold.

I think you got off lightly. Try PWC or Deloitte …Much more polished and no Lehman’s hanging over them

I think you got off lightly. Try PWC or Deloitte …Much more polished and no Lehman’s hanging over them

Is it too late to apply? I want to hit submit for EnY’s audit assurance post, but i am afraid of getting dinged and having to wait till next year.

huh are sure you havent made a mistake, as everyone has to do online test, mathematical background or not.

Does anyone know what reference checks etc E&Y do?

i have heard the interview consists of competences interview questions along with a maths and English test.

help me find a job - pure-jobs . com

Hi Chris,
I don’t know how relevant this is because I applied to the EY Luxembourg office but I had a really crazy interview experience.

I sent a speculative application to their HR department who called me to discuss my CV. I explained that I hadn’t studied tax at university (apparently that is normal in Luxembourg???) but that I was interested in applying because I have and Economics degree and a Law degree etc. She also asked me a few questions about my interests and positions of responsibility.

A few days later the same person sent an email inviting me to fill in their online application form and complete numerical and verbal online reasoning tests. Following that I was asked to complete a personality profiling test online. A few days later the HR department called and invited me for an interview at their offices in Luxembourg. So I flew out ( I have family who live there) but they made it clear they would not be able to cover travel expenses.

Once there, I had another interview with the HR person who had given me the phone interview. It was a more detailed interview than the last asking me questions about times I had been outside my comfort zone, dealing with confrontation, examples of teamwork (all the usual). That was followed by run-through of my results in the online tests which was very useful. I learned that what they look for in the personality profile test is that you have a good balance of personality traits (i.e not too ambitious or too much attention to detail just a bit of everything) and, most importantly, that you finish the test relatively quickly (there is no time limit on that test unlike the numerical and verbal reasoning ones and you can, theoretically take as long as you want to answer the questions). The reasoning behind this is that if you answer all the personality questions quickly, you are confident in yourself and your own abilities so you do not spend too much time worrying about what the right answer should be. I suspect this may apply to other company’s personality - type tests because I have passed every one I have taken since by sticking to the principle of finishing it fast.

Next I was given thirty minutes to complete a paper test that had three sections; one legal, one financial, one tax related. I was quite surprised as I had not been warned that the test would be subject specific. Luckily it was not long since my exams and being a bit of a geek I did still know the answers to all the legal and most of the financial questions. I remember one of the legal questions asked for a definition of “equity”. They were not hard questions but you could not know any of it unless you had actually studied the subject academically. So my tax section, naturally, was a little sparse but I was happy with the other two.

I was given a short break during which I was informed that copies of my test were sent to my next two interviewers. First I had an interview with a senior adviser from the corporation tax department who started by informing me that my the tax section of my test was very bad. I explained that I had not actually ever studied tax and his expression was priceless: utter disbelief. He seemed very irritated that he has even been asked to interview someone who had not done a tax degree and wasn’t interested in asking me about anything else. I spent the next twenty minutes navigating him trying to spell out the the answers to tax questions I had left blank. He did, however, grudgingly accept that I had done very well on the other two sections.

Once that was finally over, I had an interview with a senior adviser from the transfer pricing team. He was much more relaxed and friendly. Began by asking me to talk about myself and then went through my CV. He picked up on the relevant work experience I had and tested me switched between English and Spanish quite a bit to test my language skills. Then he made an argument for why transfer pricing was not the best team for me to apply to. He explained a few arguments for why it was better to join any of the other teams in tax and handed over to me. I did my best to put forward a solid reasoning for why I really did want to join the transfer pricing team and how my skills were suited to it. He said he was very satisfied with my answers and would recommend me to the partner.

About a week later I received another call from HR to schedule a partner interview. By this time I had returned to the UK. The date for the interview was moved twice and was eventually due to take place during a holiday in France over the phone. for three days in a row I logged into the system and the time for the interview passed because something had gone wrong and the interview was cancelled at the last minute. About two weeks after the initial date for the interview it finally actually happened when I had returned from holiday. The partner told me she was new to the Luxembourg office and was actually driving there from Belgium whilst conducting the phone interview. It lasted about an hour and she asked me every interview question I have ever been asked. It started: ‘tell me about yourself’ and went through all the teamwork, communications, why EY, why tax, why TP, challenges, work experience, expectations of the role etc. At the end she told me she was very happy with the interview and looked forward to meeting me but that she didn’t know the HR procedure for the Luxembourg office so she would check with them first and I would hear from them soon.

I waited a week. Sent and email to HR. Waited another week. Sent another email to HR… Finally, about three weeks after the interview, I received a call from HR to tell me that I had ‘passed the recruitment process’ but that the team had been closed down and that the position for which I had been put forward no longer existed. They reassured me that recruitment would resume in the new financial year and that they would contact me then.

So, in February this year I began trying to contact HR again just to let them know that I was still interested in the position. Because my main contact was on sick leave it was quite difficult to actually get the message through but eventually I received a call. It was a Friday morning and, by pure coincidence, I happened to be preparing for a flight to visit my family in Luxembourg when HR asked whether I would be in Luxembourg any time soon to attend an interview. They didn’t specify what type of interview. At the time I thought the lady I was talking to said ‘partner interview’ but perhaps I was mistaken because I was on the move at the time and the line wasn’t too good. In the emails confirming the interview, it was just called ‘an interview’. I assumed it would be with the HR team as it had been previously and was an interview to discuss available positions. Why would they bother putting me through the entire recruitment process again?

Big mistake. I arrived for the interview and was sent straight to a room to wait on my own. HR were no where in sight. Then a senior adviser from the TP team came in and introduced himself. I was a bit surprised but as he started looking over my (by this time out of date) CV and started a relaxed conversation I go the impression this would be a less intense interview than the previous ones. We started speaking in Spanish a bit and it all seemed to be going quite well when another woman suddenly entered the room. There was momentary confusion as the first interviewer expressed his surprise at seeing her here. She stated that she was going to ‘sit in’ on the interview and sat down. She only introduced herself by her first name and didn’t even tell me what her role was. She began questioning in a reasonably aggressive way.
“So, none of your studies are in tax?”
“So, this work experience you did at XY was not tax related?”
At first I was reasonably confident explaining the skills I did have and how they were relevant to the role but she just kept tutting and re-iterating what a problem it was that I hadn’t studied tax. She asked me some detailed questions about tax legislation in Luxembourg which, luckily, I by and large knew the answers to but could not elaborate on too much as it was based on background research I had done. She also asked me specifically what the difference between a financing transaction and an operational transaction was in terms of transfer pricing.

Needless to say, I did not progress any further in this weird recruitment loop. HR told me that although I had ’ a great amount of enthusiasm for the role and that the interviewers were impressed by my knowledge of the role and the subject matter, it was not enough’.

Now I don’t know where you applied to EY, but if you were thinking of applying to the Luxembourg tax office, I personally feel you got off lightly by not being invited for an interview. Honestly, they wasted a lot of my time and ruined my last two holidays by constantly rescheduling interviews. They claimed they they didn’t require tax knowledge for their graduate intake but then based my rejection on my insufficient tax knowledge. Here are a few more pointers to make you feel better:

a) They never offered to pay any travel expenses (or any other expenses)
b) They constantly rescheduled interviews at the last minute, a few hours beforehand or even past the interview time
c) I was assessed on the same things over and over again
d) A lot of the contact I had with HR was over the phone and never backed up in writing in writing. Offers, feedback and rejections were all made verbally and only interview times and dates or obscure references to our conversations were ever written in emails.

I did not expect this form a company like EY and suspect this would not happen at the London office. However, I hope this will help prevent anyone else in my position going through this nonesense.

1 Like

Thanks for information and useful tips